How do you actually activate a phone?

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Really silly question here but what do you actually do to activate a phone? I preordered the Note 2 so I want to be prepared when it arrives.

Also I am using my basic line to get the upgrade price so I will have to activate the Note 2 on that line to finish the upgrade and then, to deactivate it and use it on my unlimited line, I have to reactivate my basic phone back on its line. So, how do I then reactivate the original basic phone?

And laslty, how do I reactivate the Note 2 onto my unlimited line and will I need another SIM card to do so?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Really silly question here but what do you actually do to activate a phone? I preordered the Note 2 so I want to be prepared when it arrives.

Also I am using my basic line to get the upgrade price so I will have to activate the Note 2 on that line to finish the upgrade and then, to deactivate it and use it on my unlimited line, I have to reactivate my basic phone back on its line. So, how do I then reactivate the original basic phone?

And laslty, how do I reactivate the Note 2 onto my unlimited line and will I need another SIM card to do so?

I don't think you should actually have to activate it on your basic line to begin with. At my old company, we often used upgrades from other people's lines. We just had to call Verizon customer service and tell them what line it needed to be activated on. To do a normal activation there will be a number to dial *xxx and then an automated system, but if you want to just activate it on your unlimited line to begin with, you should be able to do that through a representative and not go through the hassle of activating, deactivating, reactivating, etc.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You do not have to dial the *228 to activate a 4g device. You will also receive instructions on how to activate with the 4g SIM card.

Mrlaigle

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Log in to your my Verizon account. Then click activate device. Then reactivate the basic phone back onto the line that the gn2 is on. Next, take the gn2 into a vzw store and have them activate it as customers own equipment. OR if you have a 4G device with the same sim in it you just swap. Profit.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Log in to your my Verizon account. Then click activate device. Then reactivate the basic phone back onto the line that the gn2 is on. Next, take the gn2 into a vzw store and have them activate it as customers own equipment. OR if you have a 4G device with the same sim in it you just swap. Profit.

How do you reactivate the old basic phone back on its line? And also once I activate the Note 2 (which I have coming with new SIM card) will I need another SIM card since the new one that will come with it will have been activated on the basis line?

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
How do you reactivate the old basic phone back on its line? And also once I activate the Note 2 (which I have coming with new SIM card) will I need another SIM card since the new one that will come with it will have been activated on the basis line?

I'd just call and have them activate it for the first time on the line you ultimately want it on instead of swapping back and forth, but your call.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd just call and have them activate it for the first time on the line you ultimately want it on instead of swapping back and forth, but your call.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I only ask about the back and forth because I believe in order to finalize the upgrade process, the new phone has to be first activated on the secondary line. If it were to be directly activated on my other line, it would then be percieved by Verizon that I used my other line to upgrade and therefore I would lose unlimited data.

Mrlaigle

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No you won't loose it. You can activate the old basic phone online after you get the upgrade online. I it will come with activation instructions. Once you complete those log into your online Verizon account and click the activate equipment tab. I enter esn from old decide and then complete. The note 2 will now be free to do what ever you want to it. You will need a new sim since your thunderbolt uses the bigger one. The one that came with it is now trash as it is used with the old number. The sim cards are free.. Walk into a vzw corporate store tell them that have your own equipment that you want to activate on your number. They will grab a sim and activate it while keeping the unlimited data plan.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
No you won't loose it. You can activate the old basic phone online after you get the upgrade online. I it will come with activation instructions. Once you complete those log into your online Verizon account and click the activate equipment tab. I enter esn from old decide and then complete. The note 2 will now be free to do what ever you want to it. You will need a new sim since your thunderbolt uses the bigger one. The one that came with it is now trash as it is used with the old number. The sim cards are free.. Walk into a vzw corporate store tell them that have your own equipment that you want to activate on your number. They will grab a sim and activate it while keeping the unlimited data plan.

So I will be using the sim card that comes with the Note 2 when activating onto the basic line and then, to activate it onto my unlimited line, I will need to first free up the Note 2 by reactivating the basic phone back in its line. This will then deactivate the Note 2 and free it up to be activated on my unlimited line.

When I go to reactivate the Note 2 on my unlimited line, I will need a new SIM card because the first one I used will have the basic line number info tied to it. I will have to go get this new SIM card from a Verizon store and then activate the Note 2 onto my unlimited line with the new SIM card correct?

Also is there a way to reactivate the basic phone besides on line or by dialing a number or something? I ask because I won't have the basic phone with me when I get the Note 2 as my girlfriend will be out of town and needs it so she will have to actually reactivate the basic phone. Her phone will be deactivated for only a few minutes so I need to be able to give her some detailed instructions on how to quickly reactivate her phone.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So I will be using the sim card that comes with the Note 2 when activating onto the basic line and then, to activate it onto my unlimited line, I will need to first free up the Note 2 by reactivating the basic phone back in its line. This will then deactivate the Note 2 and free it up to be activated on my unlimited line.

When I go to reactivate the Note 2 on my unlimited line, I will need a new SIM card because the first one I used will have the basic line number info tied to it. I will have to go get this new SIM card from a Verizon store and then activate the Note 2 onto my unlimited line with the new SIM card correct?

Also is there a way to reactivate the basic phone besides on line or by dialing a number or something? I ask because I won't have the basic phone with me when I get the Note 2 as my girlfriend will be out of town and needs it so she will have to actually reactivate the basic phone. Her phone will be deactivated for only a few minutes so I need to be able to give her some detailed instructions on how to quickly reactivate her phone.

Trust me when I say it would be easier to go to a store and let them do it since you have to do the swap. If it was simply and activation, go for it but in your case 15 minutes in the store and your golden.

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Dunno about your carrier, but Sprint let's you do this...

I just go online, click activate device in the Dropbox on the line I want, and after a min or so the auto activate kicks in on the device... I've done this a few times

LuvHorses

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
About calling into activate the Note2, I will be calling in on the line I need switched. Will this work? Was hoping to not have to take the phone into store.

We do not have a home phone line.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
About calling into activate the Note2, I will be calling in on the line I need switched. Will this work? Was hoping to not have to take the phone into store.

We do not have a home phone line.

Sign into your Verizon account on-line. Select "Swap Device" toward the bottom middle of the page and follow the prompts. You'll be golden.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I only ask about the back and forth because I believe in order to finalize the upgrade process, the new phone has to be first activated on the secondary line. If it were to be directly activated on my other line, it would then be percieved by Verizon that I used my other line to upgrade and therefore I would lose unlimited data.

Understood. I would just call and talk to them about it though. Like I said before, we did this all the time on our business account and they never gave us any hassle. For example, a user would need a new phone and not be due for an upgrade, but someone else would be due for an upgrade but not want/need to upgrade. So, we would order the upgrade on the 2nd line, but then call Verizon and have them activate it on the first line. Simple. and no disruption on the 2nd line ( that the upgrade was actually bought on).

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I used one of my eligible upgrade lines to get the phone, so when it arrives I will actually call in and have CS or go online and activate it to my line I will be using it on and make sure the features I added go on that line and not the line I used to upgrade. I have the Home Phone Connect which is actually a great way to have a non landline, landline.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

To reactivate the old basic phone, will I physically need the device or can I just enter the esn online when reactivating and it will automatically be reactivated and ready to use? I ask because my girlfriend is out of town with the basic phone so I need to be able to reactivate it for her.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
To reactivate the old basic phone, will I physically need the device or can I just enter the esn online when reactivating and it will automatically be reactivated and ready to use? I ask because my girlfriend is out of town with the basic phone so I need to be able to reactivate it for her.

If doing it online through your Verizon account, you should only need the number. Once you enter it into the system, she will need to do the *228 to activate it.

BTW, you're up early.....keep looking out the window for the FedEx truck? :D