1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

Default Why do I need to pay extra for corporate email?

Im coming from Blackberry where I understand using the BES server and paying a fee for that..yadda yadda..

My company uses Microsoft Exchange for our email etc..

When I called Verizon I discovered, as expected, that I would no longer be on unlimited data and needed a 2 gig plan..its 30 bucks but to have corporate email, its another 15!!

Does the Note 2 note support Microsoft Exchange out of the box? My boss has an iPhone on Verizon and doesnt pay any extra for it.

Can someone help? Ive done my best googling but cant come up with an answer.
    Last edited by onmyown; 11-28-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Why do I need to pay extra for corporate email?

Quote Originally Posted by onmyown View Post
    Im coming from Blackberry where I understand using the BES server and paying a fee for that..yadda yadda..

When I called Verizon I discovered, as expected, that I would no longer be on unlimited data and needed a 2 gig plan..its 30 bucks but to have corporate email, its another 15!!

Does the Note 2 note support Microsoft Exchange out of the boss? My boss has an iPhone on Verizon and doesnt pay any extra for it.

don't listen to verizon CSR

you can run an exchange account on android
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

Thank you! I cant imagine why I would need to pay 15 extra bucks for something that is already on the phone??!!

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

I switched from Blackberry to an Incredible 2 last year and set it up with touchdown. No problems with our corporate exchange system. I had to switch plans when I upgraded to the Note 2 and was surprised to see the corporate email option was still available. The stock email with the phone also worked with exchange without any problems, Touchdown just does a nicer job with tasks and my calendar.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    I switched from Blackberry to an Incredible 2 last year and set it up with touchdown. No problems with our corporate exchange system. I had to switch plans when I upgraded to the Note 2 and was surprised to see the corporate email option was still available. The stock email with the phone also worked with exchange without any problems, Touchdown just does a nicer job with tasks and my calendar.
    Not familiar with Touchdown. Ill check it out. Great to hear that I can dodge the 15 bucks a month for corp email!

Does the Note 2 note support Microsoft Exchange out of the box? My boss has an iPhone on Verizon and doesnt pay any extra for it.

I asked about it, and they gave me some nonsense story about it being an extra cost to them. I have to use Good for Enterprise, so I'm stuck. When I switched to T-mobile briefly, there was no extra fee. Unfortuntately I was testing their network during Hurricane Sandy and wasn't comfortable staying with them until the issues were resolved. Verizon has been pissing me off.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zanshin825 View Post
    I asked about it, and they gave me some nonsense story about it being an extra cost to them. I have to use Good for Enterprise, so I'm stuck. When I switched to T-mobile briefly, there was no extra fee. Unfortuntately I was testing their network during Hurricane Sandy and wasn't comfortable staying with them until the issues were resolved. Verizon has been pissing me off.
    How is it an extra cost when it comes with the phone? I just dont understand.

I assume its as justifiable as their upgrade fee and whatever excuse they stir up for that.

Im gonna try to just use the standard data package with no corp email.

How is it an extra cost when it comes with the phone? I just dont understand.

I assume its as justifiable as their upgrade fee and whatever excuse they stir up for that.

Im gonna try to just use the standard data package with no corp email.
    Haha, don't make me defend it. But they said that the corporate email uses a different secure server or some nonsense. Like I said, because of the app I have to use, I'm stuck with it, or I don't get my work email...at least until they move from Lotus Notes.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zanshin825 View Post
    Haha, don't make me defend it. But they said that the corporate email uses a different secure server or some nonsense. Like I said, because of the app I have to use, I'm stuck with it, or I don't get my work email...at least until they move from Lotus Notes.
    Eww Lotus Notes. Sorry to hear it. I say, If the damn thing comes with exchange, and I need to use exchange, why should I have to pay you more to use it. Might as well charge me and S-pen fee.

Might as well charge me and S-pen fee.
    Don't give them any ideas!!!

Sent from my DROIDX (sold my GNex to buy the Galaxy Note II)
    What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by svenEDGE View Post
    Don't give them any ideas!!!

I can see it now..Each time you remove the S-Pen, a little Verizon window pops up asking you to accept the terms of use and that you understand the charges included.

Hahaha oh god...

What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

X X X

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

A corporate email fee would only apply if you wrre using verizon's servers to forward you email through your phone.

Exchange is a microsoft product that runs on a server owned by a business. The phone you use must have the ability to run microsoft's protocols for exchange.

Over the course of the last few years, most phones can log directly into exchange servers through a native email client or through a web portal set up by the business.

I think iphone only received the update gor exchange on the 3gs, but I could be mistaken. The only real native way to get exchange mail before that on a phone was to buy a windows mobile phone (not the newer windows phone).

I believe at&t also has the option available still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    517 Global Posts

I kind of missed the point in your post. Let me see if I understand....

If my business uses a microsoft exchange server, then I do not need to pay an extra fee?

My phone is hooked directly to our exchange server at work, no extra fee. I think the Verizon Rep was confused as this is how I used to have to do Blackberry corporate mail. I've never had to pay a fee with android phones using private exchange servers. It's pretty much just like using gmail...

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Wow, paying the extra for corporate mail was a BB thing and they were dinging you for the BES access crap which to me was a BS fee to begin with. I have had plenty of Verizon smartphones over the last several years and never paid that fee since leaving BB way behind when I went Android.