Adding a line to keep unlimited data?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks,

As per the title I am looking to add lines to my account to keep unlimited data and get the upgrade discount. Anyone out there have any luck or solid info on this matter? Here's my details:

- Old style talk plan with 700 minutes
- 2 lines each with Unlimited Data $30 a month
- Both phones need to be upgraded, so assuming 2 additional lines will be added

Is this still possible to do? Or will there be any problems with adding a data plan to the new lines? My biggest fear is them screwing with my account and losing unlimited for good.

Please advise! Thanks!

Update: Spoke with a Verizon rep on the website and here's the log:

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative, we appreciate your patience. Your current estimated wait time is 0 min 22 secs.

Add a tablet to the Share Everything plan for only $10/mo ? no contract commitment - data only plans starting at $30 monthly access! Ask me how.

Your RealTime session ID is #########.
You are now chatting with 'VZW Rep'

VZW Rep: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?

Me: Yes hello I have a question about upgrading both lines on my account to newer devices

VZW Rep: I will be more than happy to assist you with this today!.

Me: Great! I am currently paying month to month as my contract ended back in July I believe. I still have unlimited data on both my lines and am looking to upgrade the phones and keep my unlimited data. A friend of mine suggested that I can add two new lines with tiered data plans, buy the new phones at a discounted price and then active a basic phone on them so I can transfer the smartphones to my primary lines.

Me: Is this possible? Because I would like to keep my unlimited data and get the phones at discounted pricing.

VZW Rep: I see. You would be able to add 2 new lines to your account and purchase smartphones for these lines. Then you would be able to switch the smartphones to your main line and add your current phones to the new lines.

Me: Well the main principle is to put some basic phones on the new lines to pay the $9.99 monthly access fee and not a data package. Otherwise it would be more costly than buying the phones for their full retail price out right.

Me: Our current phones are HTC Thunderbolts with data plans

VZW Rep: I definitely understand.With these basic phones on the new line, this would knock out that $30 data plan requirement for the smartphones and you would just pay the $9.99/month fee for having an extra line on your account. This would allow you to have the new smartphones on your current lines and keep the unlimited data plan.

Me: That is exactly it! I would like to do just that. How would I go about doing that on the site?

VZW Rep: We can get these 2 lines added to your account online today and once you receive the phones, you would just switch them over to your current lines and add the basic phones to the new lines. Which phones are you looking to purchase for your current lines today?

Me: I am looking to purchase 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphones for the primary lines. However I am still in need of a second basic phone to replace them when they arrive. I will need 2 unique basic non-data package requiring phones to continue, correct?

VZW Rep: Correct.

Me: That's a slight problem for me at the moment. I only have one available at the current moment and will be looking for a second one. But I will be looking to do this very soon. Thank you very much for helping me clear that matter up, I look forward to placing my order soon :)

VZW Rep: You would not have to actually add the basic phones to your account until you activate the new phones. You would have until January 15th to activate your new phones.

Me: Oh so you mean I can order the 2 phones today, receive them by say Tuesday the 4th, and as long as I replace them on the new lines by January 15th I won't be charged the $30 per line for data?

VZW Rep: Correct.

VZW Rep: You would need to have the basic phones ready to replace these smartphones once you activate them.

Me: Ah I only have one basic phone ready at the moment. I would need a second one still. I have one, I just need to find it somewhere around my home.

Me: I would feel more comfortable having both basic phones on hand however before I commit to anything, I'd just like to be prepared.

VZW Rep: You would have until January 15th to do so. This is when you would have to activate the new phones. I defiently understand.

Me: Thank you for understanding. And thank you for helping me today. I believe that's about all the information I was looking for.

VZW Rep: Have a great weekend! Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Me: That is all, thank you enjoy your weekend as well :)!

So there you have it. You can still do this procedure as of 11/30/2012 to get a phone at discount and pay 50% of the retail cost up front. Ultimately however you will still need a basic phone to replace the new smart phone on the added line so that you can remove the data plan and pay $9.99 a month + tax/charges which will come out to about $15 a month. This in addition to the upgrade cost ($30) means you are saving $10 after all is said and done after 24 months of service vs buying the phone in full retail price. But that price is cut in half and staggered over those 24 months which is much more preferable for me personally.

Update 2: Went ahead and ordered two new lines each with a Note 2 at subsidized pricing. Got them both for $299 plus activation fees. Strapped the 2GB tiered data plans on them, and still have my unlimited data plans on my primary lines. Well the phones came in today, I activated them, set them up all is well, then I went ahead and activated two very old Samsung flip phones that don't require a data plan, onto the new lines. Verizon's website even suggested I remove the data plans lol so took the monthly charges for each line down from $40 to $10. Excellent.

Now the final step remains. Take these two deactivated Note 2's and get them to replace my Thunderbolts on the primary lines. I did a lot of reading and it seems the new Verizon SIM's can go into whats called an Aged Status and after 24 hours of being in this mode, they become AD, Authorized,Deactivated. So I might be able to simply re-use them to swap out the Thunderbolts. Time will tell.

Last edited:

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks,

As per the title I am looking to add lines to my account to keep unlimited data and get the upgrade discount. Anyone out there have any luck or solid info on this matter? Here's my details:

Yes very much still possible to do. I did it in October for the iphone 5(which I seriously regret) lol. Also stil possible for you to get the two lines and put dumb phones on them and only pay the 9.99 line fee.

- Old style talk plan with 700 minutes
- 2 lines each with Unlimited Data $30 a month
- Both phones need to be upgraded, so assuming 2 additional lines will be added

Is this still possible to do? Or will there be any problems with adding a data plan to the new lines? My biggest fear is them screwing with my account and losing unlimited for good.

Please advise! Thanks!

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
go online to your verizon wireless account and add the note 2 as a new line to your account and give it a try ........you don't have to go through with the transaction but it will tell you what will happen with you account. problem is you would have to have a dumb phone to drop the new line onto after you switch the note 2 over to your existing line.

i have a line that is just a cheap dumb phone i pay $10 a month for, that was ready for an upgrade, i upgraded to the note 2 on that line.....when it comes i'll activate it, then switch the note 2 to my line, and reactivate the dumb phone. i'm willing to jump through hoops to keep my unlimited data.

you could try adding a dumb phone to your account and that would tell you how much you are looking at per month to add just a dumb phone line.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
go online to your verizon wireless account and add the note 2 as a new line to your account and give it a try ........you don't have to go through with the transaction but it will tell you what will happen with you account. problem is you would have to have a dumb phone to drop the new line onto after you switch the note 2 over to your existing line.

i have a line that is just a cheap dumb phone i pay $10 a month for, that was ready for an upgrade, i upgraded to the note 2 on that line.....when it comes i'll activate it, then switch the note 2 to my line, and reactivate the dumb phone. i'm willing to jump through hoops to keep my unlimited data.

you could try adding a dumb phone to your account and that would tell you how much you are looking at per month to add just a dumb phone line.

Yeah the final goal is a dumby line charging me $9.99 a month each, no data plan. My concern is the immediate however, that I will not be able to add a line with it's own data plan which does not interfere with my unlimited's. I'll just wait till tomorrow when I go to my local VZW store to find out the scoop then I'll report back here for people in the same situation as me to get confirmation. After 2 years of $9.99 you end up spending $240, so figure $300 + $240 = $540 vs up front $700 for full retail, saves you a nice $260 and you don't have to drop all $700 at once. All the while keeping unlimited data, sounds almost too good to be true. Let's keep our fingers crossed tomorrow.

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the final goal is a dumby line charging me $9.99 a month each, no data plan. My concern is the immediate however, that I will not be able to add a line with it's own data plan which does not interfere with my unlimited's. I'll just wait till tomorrow when I go to my local VZW store to find out the scoop then I'll report back here for people in the same situation as me to get confirmation. After 2 years of $9.99 you end up spending $240, so figure $300 + $240 = $540 vs up front $700 for full retail, saves you a nice $260 and you don't have to drop all $700 at once. All the while keeping unlimited data, sounds almost too good to be true. Let's keep our fingers crossed tomorrow.

Actually... The $9.99 a month ends up being closer to $15 a month after taxes and misc. charges so it ends up being $360 not $240...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I think if you add another smartphone line you'll get converted to either tiered or share(your preference). You'd basically need another account with Verizon. You're better off buying the phone outright.

yenyob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing this game since it officially changed. I have my S3 on my main line, but I got that from my brother's line and changed it to mine. He uses a regular phone so he doesn't care. I dumped the data plan I set up on his when I attached his old phone back to his number. I set the S3 to my number and I still have my unlimited data. Now I'm going to get the Note 2 on my daughter's line and repeat the same steps. My main line is due for an upgrade December 1st but I won't be using that until I'm forced to end the unlimited plan which you know will happen eventually. I'm confident I'll be happy with the Note 2 until one of the family lines is due again. So, in my experience you only lose the unlimited if you upgrade your main line with the subsidy. I'm curious to see what happens with you since you never had a smart phone plan.

morbidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually... The $9.99 a month ends up being closer to $15 a month after taxes and misc. charges so it ends up being $360 not $240...

Yep it's really $15 a month. Then don't forget the $30 activation fee...so $360(line access) + 30 (activation) + $300 (phone) = $690. Suddenly buying outright is only $10 more then locking another line for 2 years and potentially paying EFT on more lines, should you decide to leave big red a year from now.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep it's really $15 a month. Then don't forget the $30 activation fee...so $360(line access) + 30 (activation) + $300 (phone) = $690. Suddenly buying outright is only $10 more then locking another line for 2 years and potentially paying EFT on more lines, should you decide to leave big red a year from now.

Wow seriously there's an activation fee too? Ok yeah, definitely not even going to bother doing this anymore. If my girl decides she wants this phone we're just going to be buying it out right full retail. I'd rather do that all the while flipping the bird to Verizon the whole time anyway...

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
My brother did this yesterday to get an iPhone 5 for this wife. So, yes, it still works. But, he wanted an extra dumbphone line anyway. The extra dumbphone line adds $13 and some change to his monthly bill. And he kept his and his wife's two Unlimited data plans.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep it does still work. Ultimately you are only saving approximately $10, however the real catch is about 50% of the up front costs are spread out over the course of 24 months, much preferable to the whole thing all at once, as per my wife's input :p

Spoke with a Verizon rep on the web site today, I uploaded the chat log with censored names and personal info out, to the original post. Give it a gander to see that you can indeed do this.

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It works I did it before with another phone. It work out to be $15/ mo after taxes and $30 activation fee but I think the price is $299. It comes out to about $25 or $30 cheaper than buying retail. Verizon doesnt care they make a little less but they got you for 2 more years and if you default you have to pay the fee. The good part is its like a payment plan with no interest. I called 2 times on it just the othere day just to make sure.

awiz

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I think if you add another smartphone line you'll get converted to either tiered or share(your preference). You'd basically need another account with Verizon. You're better off buying the phone outright.

Curious about this: Based on conversation so far, it's ok to have smartphone with old unlimited on one line of shared plan and have new smartphone with new data plan on the other line of the same plan, right? If that weren't the case, all this discussion about activating/upgrading phone on one line then switching to unlimited line wouldn't be happening.

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Curious about this: Based on conversation so far, it's ok to have smartphone with old unlimited on one line of shared plan and have new smartphone with new data plan on the other line of the same plan, right? If that weren't the case, all this discussion about activating/upgrading phone on one line then switching to unlimited line wouldn't be happening.
I called twice on this just to make sure and got the same answer twice. I am on a 1400 minute old unlimited share plan for 2 lines I think it says I can add up to 5 lines at $9.99/ line dumb phone (no data). With taxes it comes out to be about $15 / mo. It works out to be just a little bit less than buying it outright because they charge you $30 activation fee. Nice thing is you get 2 yrs to pay off that extra money you have to shell out. I have done this before so I no it works. Call them up and ask they dont care Verizon is getting there moiney one way or the other.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I called twice on this just to make sure and got the same answer twice. I am on a 1400 minute old unlimited share plan for 2 lines I think it says I can add up to 5 lines at $9.99/ line dumb phone (no data). With taxes it comes out to be about $15 / mo. It works out to be just a little bit less than buying it outright because they charge you $30 activation fee. Nice thing is you get 2 yrs to pay off that extra money you have to shell out. I have done this before so I no it works. Call them up and ask they dont care Verizon is getting there moiney one way or the other.

Yep 100% truth.

I placed my order doing exactly as I stated in my OP yesterday. My phones will be here tomorrow. Both my primary lines still have unlimited data and I only paid $299 per phone + tax. Activation fees get billed to my next billing cycle because I ordered online. Think if you do this in stores they make you pay the activation fees up front.

The real trick for me now, is figuring out how to swap the phones around. I have 2 very old (circa 2008) Samsung SCH-u410 crappy flip phones waiting on standby to replace the Note 2's on the new lines so I can strip the data plan from it, and I really hope they can be activated. Read somewhere that older phones can't be activated on Verizon. Well sucks being the guinea pig but I will be attempting it and reporting back to this thread on how it goes. I also have no idea how to handle the SIM Card's in activating the Note 2's on my primary lines. Once again guinea pigging it up for at least my family/friends, and maybe more here on the forums, but I will report on how this goes as well.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yep 100% truth.

I placed my order doing exactly as I stated in my OP yesterday. My phones will be here tomorrow. Both my primary lines still have unlimited data and I only paid $299 per phone + tax. Activation fees get billed to my next billing cycle because I ordered online. Think if you do this in stores they make you pay the activation fees up front.

The real trick for me now, is figuring out how to swap the phones around. I have 2 very old (circa 2008) Samsung SCH-u410 crappy flip phones waiting on standby to replace the Note 2's on the new lines so I can strip the data plan from it, and I really hope they can be activated. Read somewhere that older phones can't be activated on Verizon. Well sucks being the guinea pig but I will be attempting it and reporting back to this thread on how it goes. I also have no idea how to handle the SIM Card's in activating the Note 2's on my primary lines. Once again guinea pigging it up for at least my family/friends, and maybe more here on the forums, but I will report on how this goes as well.

I activated an old nokia up last year. Unless they changed it recently

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

wooddale

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep 100% truth.

As long as the old phone didnt require a data plan when it was new you can do it. There is a site on verizon where you can check your Meid and they tell you if you can activate it. As far as switching over its a piece of cake just call them up you can even do it your self but its easier to let them do it.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I know that the old phones don't require any data plans, they're just regular old flip phones. I looked into the Verizon site where you can check the MEID, the only way you can "check" nowadays is by actually trying to activate the phone itself. So since I can't access my new lines yet, I suppose I will have to wait till tomorrow for it to click through, then that's when I'll be trying to activate the old ones.

I'm just confused, being a Thunderbolt owner where a SIM gets one use and thats it before it needs to be replaced, if I were to activate the Note 2's on the new lines so they fully "activate" the lines, wouldn't that mean I need new SIM cards to swap lines for the Note 2's?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma