1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Typical Samsung Radios/Signal?

I might be picking one of these up today. I'm currently 10 days into Bestbuy's 30 day return period with the Razr Maxx HD, but I'm just not sure if this is the phone I want to spend my next 2 years with. 2 things I absolutely love about it though, is the battery life and signal it receives. The 3100 mah battery in the Note 2 is doable for me, but it's Samsung's horrible antenna's that tends to push me away from their devices. I've had the Galaxy Nexus and the signal was horrible, so I was wondering if the Note 2 has the same antenna's. I've been browsing the forums and haven't seen anything mentioned yet, so I'm guessing (*hoping*) these are a lot better. Anyone who has the phone and who has owned a Motorola device, care to give a comparison? Thanks in advance.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Typical Samsung Radios/Signal?

I'll respond back when I get mine setup. I have a Nexus so far so I know what you mean. I have also owned a moto phone so I shall respond back shortly .
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by kxs783kms View Post
    I might be picking one of these up today. I'm currently 10 days into Bestbuy's 30 day return period with the Razr Maxx HD, but I'm just not sure if this is the phone I want to spend my next 2 years with. 2 things I absolutely love about it though, is the battery life and signal it receives. The 3100 mah battery in the Note 2 is doable for me, but it's Samsung's horrible antenna's that tends to push me away from their devices. I've had the Galaxy Nexus and the signal was horrible, so I was wondering if the Note 2 has the same antenna's. I've been browsing the forums and haven't seen anything mentioned yet, so I'm guessing (*hoping*) these are a lot better. Anyone who has the phone and who has owned a Motorola device, care to give a comparison? Thanks in advance.
    That's the old Samsung. The Galaxy Nexus was good, the SGS3 was better and the Note 2 is on par or better than the SGS3 in reception and call quality. My last Moto was the DX and my last HTC was the Rezound and the SGS3 and by extension Note 2 blow them both away in terms of signal/call quality.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by kxs783kms View Post
    I'm only showing 1-2 bars in my house (bad dead zone with everyone) but calls have been clean with no drops. Out in the real world 4-5 bars and no issues either. LTE blasting along at 15 gps down and 2-3 up. So far, no complaints. Driving to Annapolis this afternoon so will let you know how that goes. wi-fi has been strong (same as my iphone) both here at the house and at starbucks. no surprise on either of those really.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

I have my note 2 on att, made the switch from Verizon. I had the nexus, and then the s3 for Verizon, and I am getting signals now far superior to what I ever received with those two phones before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed with everyone. In my apartment living room nobody on any carrier could even send a text. I have at least 2 bars with 4G on my note 2. Coming from a GNEX, this is awesome.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Alright!! This phone is sounding like it's going to be my next device. Still interested in hearing more reviews though.

The signal quality is much worse on the GN2. I'm getting -92db at a location where I get -75db on my iPhone 4s. I have them sitting side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by norbl View Post
    The signal quality is much worse on the GN2. I'm getting -92db at a location where I get -75db on my iPhone 4s. I have them sitting side by side.
    What's the code to dial to get the db reading on the iPhone 4S? I want to test when my Note II arrives.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Im noticing bad signals too. Lte is worse compared to my jetpack. Im stuck mostly on 3g at my house with the note 2. Whereas my jetpack has mostly 4g lte.

Quote Originally Posted by norbl View Post
    You are looking at two different kinds of signal readings. iPhone4s doesn't have LTE so it's reading RSSI. All LTE phones with ICS/JB are reading RSRP, which is usually 15~20dbm lower than RSSI for equivalent signal strength.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by vNaK View Post
    Im noticing bad signals too. Lte is worse compared to my jetpack. Im stuck mostly on 3g at my house with the note 2. Whereas my jetpack has mostly 4g lte.
    Sorry but what is jetpack? I am not aware of such phone on verizon.

You might have issue with bad SIM or Prl. See if this helps. Turn off the phone. take out SIM and reboot the phone. Then turn it off again and re-insert SIM. Now reboot it again. This trick resolved a lot of GS3 reception issues from what I read.

Just by comparison my I phone 5 picked up a strong 4G signal at my desk at work and my coworkers DNA the same. This device and the GS3 only picks up 3G in the same spot and my old nexus barely a 3G. I'm not going to be an apologist for Samsung (or any other company) to feel validated in my purchase but radios still weaker than competitors in those tough areas. At least for me. Still a good device though. Just depends on if you get a strong signal where you need it if you should get/keep it or not. I've been able to cope with Samsung device because I shouldn't be using the Internet at work anyway so therefore not a big deal because it picks up LTE everywhere else. So it depends on the person I guess.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

I have had mine for 11 hours now. It's pretty amazing. I had to use the subway today and with my former Galaxy Nexus every time I would come out of the subway, where there is no signal, it would take a few minutes (a while) for the phone to reconnect with network. With the Note II, it was rather instant, as I actually tested it. BT in call sound quality is average though.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW

Another thing that I've noticed which is consistent with the SG3 at times in that the wifi may take a couple extra seconds to connect when turning off airplane mode. Not all the time and not that much longer but sometimes a few seconds longer than usual and then other times instantly. These are just things I've been messing around with because I'm familiar with Samsung devices lol.
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

The jetpack it just the 4G hotspot that VZW has I believe. I could be wrong though
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdroids View Post

You might have issue with bad SIM or Prl. See if this helps. Turn off the phone. take out SIM and reboot the phone. Then turn it off again and re-insert SIM. Now reboot it again. This trick resolved a lot of GS3 reception issues from what I read.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jdroids View Post

Jetpack is Verizon's Mifi hotspot modem. I'll give that the shot thanks.

**update**

Just tried it and it did not help. In the list of apns and modes does it matter what it is set to? Like global vs lte/cmda/evdo.
    Last edited by vNaK; 11-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiodsu123 View Post
    Just by comparison my I phone 5 picked up a strong 4G signal at my desk at work and my coworkers DNA the same. This device and the GS3 only picks up 3G in the same spot and my old nexus barely a 3G. I'm not going to be an apologist for Samsung (or any other company) to feel validated in my purchase but radios still weaker than competitors in those tough areas. At least for me. Still a good device though. Just depends on if you get a strong signal where you need it if you should get/keep it or not. I've been able to cope with Samsung device because I shouldn't be using the Internet at work anyway so therefore not a big deal because it picks up LTE everywhere else. So it depends on the person I guess.
    Boy thats not what I wanted to here. I have an S3 and my only beef are the Radios I was hoping they might have gotten better. When you get the 3G at your desk can you Airplane and force it to 4G or it just wont lock on.

Quote Originally Posted by vNaK View Post
    Jetpack is Verizon's Mifi hotspot modem. I'll give that the shot thanks.

**update**

Just tried it and it did not help. In the list of apns and modes does it matter what it is set to? Like global vs lte/cmda/evdo.
    LTE/CDMA should be better than Global on 4G reception and battery. If you can't make it any better, try swapping SIM at verizon.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

114 dbm HTC DNA, 105 dbm Iphone 5, 109 dbm N2

its all very close...this is on 4g LTE. I don't know what the 3g signal is...
    Thanked by:

Are you in a strong 4G area? I guess what Im looking for is someone in a fringe area. My S3 works fine in a strong 4G but tends to drop off to 3G when other phones (Moto,Htc) still hold the 4G. Scopidosu posted a few back that his comparison showed the Note not holding 4G. I was wondering if anyone had the same results.

Mine seems acceptable but not outstanding. In the Verizon store my rezound reported a 1 to 2 bar better reception for what that's worth.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Its not so much about the bars data and signal strength are not the same granted if you have strong signal strength you should have good data but not always. Thats where the radios come in. I no how it works Im just not good at explaining it lol.