Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: YouTube won't work with Multi Window?

Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
    tisk tisk
    typical behavior from "joe the insider"

joe, you need to get over the fact that your company is the worst carrier out there in terms of customer relations
    the only reason why verizon is still alive is because of their network

thank you tari and infmethod for pointing out that I was in fact correct!!!

everyone, its issues like this that make root an absolute necessity!!!
    the note 2 is an amazing device but we have to go in and clean up this sh*t from verizon
    Yet every year Verizon is rated best in class on terms of service. The grass isn't always greener. Personally, people overreact and always blame carriers without knowing facts.

I was with at&t and sprint most of my life and the service is even worse. I guess we all are entitled to our opinions.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
    tisk tisk
    typical behavior from "joe the insider"

joe, you need to get over the fact that your company is the worst carrier out there in terms of customer relations
    the only reason why verizon is still alive is because of their network

thank you tari and infmethod for pointing out that I was in fact correct!!!

everyone, its issues like this that make root an absolute necessity!!!
    the note 2 is an amazing device but we have to go in and clean up this sh*t from verizon
    I challenge you to call Samsung and ask them what I asked. You'll get exactly what I said, Verizon had nothing to do with the lack of apps that work with multi view.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    mrxblue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdauti1981 View Post
    Not too big of a deal. Just use the web browser option, and access Youtube.com.
    That solves only the problem of Youtube.....I've always been a fan of verizon's network and I've always had great experience with customer service......but verizon's record on updates and fixes is just sad.....still waiting for their gs3 update to jelly bean. so no, as much as i want the multi view to be fabulous, we'll all be updating in a year to the note 3 probably hoping its finally functional, or yes, root and do it ourselves

and just fyi you can't seem to have two screens of the browser open in multi view. so surfing the net and watching a youtube at the same time.....doesn't look possible.

The lack of proper multiwindow out of the box is disappointing, no doubt about that. With that disclaimer out of the way, I can still say without reservation that this is the finest device I have ever used on Verizon's network, or any network for that matter. I'm a real weirdo perfectionist about the devices I use, and I think this is the closest I've ever come to being 100% pleased with one..I'm at 98.5% right now, and I'd be at 100% if the multitasking was working right. Still, I'm simply thrilled about this phone.

I personally think those of you that are talking about taking your units back because of this multiwindow problem are being totally irrational...you're giving up countless awesome features all over one feature that isn't working right. Oh, and one that isn't working right NOW, but almost certainly will be later on. It might take a week, or maybe a month, or maybe several months. Who cares? We have so many cool things to focus on with these Note 2s that I can pretty much guarantee we'll be kept busy and satisfied.

Verizon sucks. I take issue with them for more reasons than I care to discuss here. I won't be staying with them forever. However, for the moment I'm locked in, and so I'll try to be content with using what's still probably the finest Android device made yet..multiwindow or no multiwindow, this is a damn fine phone.

ETA: I'll keep my fingers crossed that for once we can stay positive about a fantastic smartphone, instead of turning these boards into a haven of negativity and ing over minor issues. Let's stay excited about this one, guys.
    mrxblue likes this.

Everyone knows how slow Verizon is with updates.
    We only have 14 days to return it. You're saying we should accept the missing functions on the hopes that Verizon one day pushes an update.
    I don't think taking it back is irrational in the least.
    I would rather take it back and purchase it again after the update than to keep an $700 device with missing features while hoping Verizon will fix it after the return period has expired.

Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    and just fyi you can't seem to have two screens of the browser open in multi view. so surfing the net and watching a youtube at the same time.....doesn't look possible.
    Well, look at it this way, at least you verizon guys have that multiwindow feature...us AT&T users have been shafted. AT&T sucks donkey d!ck!
    jackwagon06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Everyone knows how slow Verizon is with updates.
    We only have 14 days to return it. You're saying we should accept the missing functions on the hopes that Verizon one day pushes an update.
    I don't think taking it back is irrational in the least.
    I would rather take it back and purchase it again after the update than to keep an $700 device with missing features while hoping Verizon will fix it after the return period has expired.
    I'm not saying you should "accept the missing functions" at all; my point is that you should focus on the enormous number of things the Verizon GN2 gets right, instead of honing in on the one thing it gets wrong. If you want to return it over this multiwindow problem...well, so be it, my friend. Your call. But you'll be giving up one of the best Android phones ever made (and presumably replacing it with an inferior one) over just this one problem. It's an issue that makes me mad too, man...but not enough to take back such an incredible device. It's like giving up a smoking hot, smart, honest, funny and loyal girl because you think her calves are a little fat. The reality is that few things in life are truly "perfect." You are, IMHO anyway, looking at the tree while forgetting the forest, so to speak. That said..do what you think is best. I'm loving this phone, even though it is currently missing a feature I was really excited about.

Oh, and again, Verizon is evil. But the GN2 remains spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mco119 View Post
    I'm not saying you should "accept the missing functions" at all; my point is that you should focus on the enormous number of things the Verizon GN2 gets right, instead of honing in on the one thing it gets wrong. If you want to return it over this multiwindow problem...well, so be it, my friend. Your call. But you'll be giving up one of the best Android phones ever made (and presumably replacing it with an inferior one) over just this one problem. It's an issue that makes me mad too, man...but not enough to take back such an incredible device. It's like giving up a smoking hot, smart, honest, funny and loyal girl because you think her calves are a little fat. The reality is that few things in life are truly "perfect." You are, IMHO anyway, looking at the tree while forgetting the forest, so to speak. That said..do what you think is best. I'm loving this phone, even though it is currently missing a feature I was really excited about.

Oh, and again, Verizon is evil. But the GN2 remains spectacular.
    #1 What makes you think I wouldn't dump a woman with cankles? :-)

#2 The multiview feature was a huge selling point for many people. The fact that it isn't as robust on Verizon makes that a valid reason to return it at this time. It can always be purchased again after it gets fixed. There is no telling how long it will take Verizon to fix the issue but I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be within the next 13 days.

#3 The blocking mode feature is also missing and apparently many were looking forward to that. That one doesn't bother me as I hadn't heard about that feature until yesterday.

#4 Apparently there is also the matter of s-planner not being available.

I refuse to keep a device past the return period that to me isn't fully functional, unless root access is gained. If we don't get root within the return window I will have to take it back.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Multi Window on this thing sucks. Should I return it and get the sprint version, instead? I would have unlimited data (I had to give up my iPhone's unlimited data and sign uo for the Share Everything plan when I upgraded to the Note) as well as more multi window apps, not to mention that I can root it, but there's barely any LTE coverage. I think I might have it in my area, but I'm leaving for Phoenix over winter break, where there is no Sprint LTE coverage whatsoever. Also I don't think is as fast as Verizon's LTE coverage. What are your guys' thoughts? Should I stay or should I go (LOL)?

I honestly think if we can pull the Youtube, Chrome, and other Google apps from the Sprint version of the phone and stick them onto our Verizon phones (once we get root), we'll get multi-window support. Unless those apps are somehow special (or incompatible with the Verizon version), multi-window support is dictated by the apps themselves, not by the multi-window feature.

I don't really remember how to do that sort of thing, though, and I don't even have my Note 2 yet. Been down with some ridiculous illness for the past 3 days. I really want my phone, darn it all!
    mrxblue likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

Which is better: Sprint or Verizon? Do I stay or should I switch while I still can?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by PrisonedMuffin View Post
    Which is better: Sprint or Verizon? Do I stay or should I switch while I still can?
    Depends on what kind of user you are.vweizon has better coverage and speeds but thats where it ends. If you wanr cheaper service with more freedom yet can do with higher data speeds id stay with sprint

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Someone posted this on xda.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YouTube won't work with Multi Window?-gmail-youtube-multi-window.png  
    DroidXcon likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Someone posted this on xda.

YES YES YES YES YES!

Hope "soon" means "in a few days" or "in a few months" and not longer.

#1 What makes you think I wouldn't dump a woman with cankles? :-)

#2 The multiview feature was a huge selling point for many people. The fact that it isn't as robust on Verizon makes that a valid reason to return it at this time. It can always be purchased again after it gets fixed. There is no telling how long it will take Verizon to fix the issue but I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be within the next 13 days.

#3 The blocking mode feature is also missing and apparently many were looking forward to that. That one doesn't bother me as I hadn't heard about that feature until yesterday.

#4 Apparently there is also the matter of s-planner not being available.

I refuse to keep a device past the return period that to me isn't fully functional, unless root access is gained. If we don't get root within the return window I will have to take it back.

Do your thing, amigo. To each their own. The only thing I really care about on that list of "missing features" is the multiwindow; the S-planner and blocking feature mean nothing to me. And so far as Youtube goes...I've been using it all day in multiwindow mode, though admittedly through the browser. It works just fine...I guess I don't quite understand the level of freakout people are having over what will likely be a transient problem. Again though, each person is entitled to view this as they wish. I'm certainly loving this phone more and more each minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mco119 View Post
    Do your thing, amigo. To each their own. The only thing I really care about on that list of "missing features" is the multiwindow; the S-planner and blocking feature mean nothing to me. And so far as Youtube goes...I've been using it all day in multiwindow mode, though admittedly through the browser. It works just fine...I guess I don't quite understand the level of freakout people are having over what will likely be a transient problem. Again though, each person is entitled to view this as they wish. I'm certainly loving this phone more and more each minute.
    The level of freakout is due to Verizon's history of taking extremely long periods of time to push updates.
    Many of us paid full price for this device. It would be nice to have it work as advertised.
    Thanked by:
    DaRkL3AD3R and mrxblue like this.

Take that Twitter response with a grain of salt.

I'm a Thunderbolt owner who was told via Twitter and Facebook that I should be seeing Ice Cream Sandwich for my 1 year old phone out by the end of August the latest. August 31st came, no update. "Oh we missed the date but don't worry, soon!"

It's about to be December 1st and I still have no Ice Cream Sandwich.

Do not trust companies with PR personnel. They will always sugar coat reality to lull you into a state of not caring and just waiting.

That being said, it's my gut instinct that Verizon definitely ripped out these apps from Multiview mode, why? Simple. Big Red has been ultra greedy when it comes to data plans and bandwidth usage lately. It is no surprise that the apps they removed from this feature are heavy on data usage. Go figure. Oh but let's conveniently leave in things like Gallery, Video Player, Text Messaging and S-Pen Note suite. Nice Verizon, you are oh so sneaky.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Thanked by 2:
    nexususer99 and mrxblue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post

I'm a Thunderbolt owner who was told via Twitter and Facebook that I should be seeing Ice Cream Sandwich for my 1 year old phone out by the end of August the latest. August 31st came, no update. "Oh we missed the date but don't worry, soon!"

Do not trust companies with PR personnel. They will always sugar coat reality to lull you into a state of not caring and just waiting.

That being said, it's my gut instinct that Verizon definitely ripped out these apps from Multiview mode, why? Simple. Big Red has been ultra greedy when it comes to data plans and bandwidth usage lately. It is no surprise that the apps they removed from this feature are heavy on data usage. Go figure. Oh but let's conveniently leave in things like Gallery, Video Player, Text Messaging and S-Pen Note suite. Nice Verizon, you are oh so sneaky.
    I agree that Verizon is shady, however, YouTube and web browsers still work, they just don't work with multiview. Multiview won't make the apps use any more data than they will without it.
    Not to mention they would be able to charge users on the shared plans $15/GB over the limit if it did, which would be in Verizon's favor.
    Also, super video which does work in multiview can play YouTube videos.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post

So you're saying that this tweet is probably not true? You do realize it would be real dumb for Verizon not to update the Multi Window? People could be watching YouTube while browsing the Web at the same time, meaning data being used quicker, which means more people going over the cap, meaning more money for Verizon, right? Not trying to put you down or anything, I'm just recording my thoughts. If what you're is true, then I'll either root or switch to Sprint (depending on the return time).

So you're saying that this tweet is probably not true? You do realize it would be real dumb for Verizon not to update the Multi Window? People could be watching YouTube while browsing the Web at the same time, meaning data being used quicker, which means more people going over the cap, meaning more money for Verizon, right? Not trying to put you down or anything, I'm just recording my thoughts. If what you're is true, then I'll either root or switch to Sprint (depending on the return time).
    I think his main concern was with the term "soon".
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

Soon better be "before I can return my phone and switch carriers if need be" other wise Imma be pissed. Doubt it, though.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

We need ability to unlock the bootloader and root ASAP.

By your same theory then why not let users download free tether apps without requiring root? Wouldn't they blow through their data caps so quickly, requiring the users to cough up more dough to Big Red?

The reason is that they try to keep things slowed down on your end so that their networks don't get clogged up. I mean the riddance of unlimited data plans pays more tribute to this than to financial gain for them anyway. Putting a cap on your data usage means you will not openly blow up their networks on a daily basis consuming more data than many others, making the network worse for everyone.

And yes, being able to have a Youtube app playing an HD video while simultaneously browsing the web DOES increase your bandwidth/sec whether you believe so or not. I don't know how you can't figure that out. I mean, c'mon its the reason they said tethering is a no no because you can multitask much easier on a PC than you can on a Phone, leading to greater drains on the network.

Correct.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast