Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: YouTube won't work with Multi Window?

Quote Originally Posted by PrisonedMuffin View Post
    We need ability to unlock the bootloader and root ASAP.
    I can live with root alone, the unlocked bootloader would be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    By your same theory then why not let users download free tether apps without requiring root? Wouldn't they blow through their data caps so quickly, requiring the users to cough up more dough to Big Red?

The reason is that they try to keep things slowed down on your end so that their networks don't get clogged up. I mean the riddance of unlimited data plans pays more tribute to this than to financial gain for them anyway. Putting a cap on your data usage means you will not openly blow up their networks on a daily basis consuming more data than many others, making the network worse for everyone.

And yes, being able to have a Youtube app playing an HD video while simultaneously browsing the web DOES increase your bandwidth/sec whether you believe so or not. I don't know how you can't figure that out. I mean, c'mon its the reason they said tethering is a no no because you can multitask much easier on a PC than you can on a Phone, leading to greater drains on the network.

Correct.
    I believe the FCC made Verizon let users use tethering apps. Several people have said foxfi works.
    We can use the web and YouTube at the same time now, just not using the YouTube app.
    Don't forget, Gmail doesn't work for us in multiview either, that isn't saving Verizon anything.

Gmail is true, but also keep in mind that out of the box you can't use Youtube in the web browser without manually going to Adobe's site and downloading the actual APK files for flashplayer.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Verizon stalled the release of this device to get everything right... (so the rep told me)
    Multi-window was a huge selling point of this device... (but now not as robust as others)
    Verizon says expect an update soon?...
    Expensive retail cost with limited return window...
    We need root ASAP - but why should we at $700.00...
    There are always issues with a new release... (as we are seeing)
    Sometimes older is wiser... "Never be the first kid on the block..."
    "Good things come to those that wait..."

Gmail is true, but also keep in mind that out of the box you can't use Youtube in the web browser without manually going to Adobe's site and downloading the actual APK files for flashplayer.

You mean in multiview? Then you are incorrect, sir. Been using YouTube in split-screen mode via the browser all day. Never downloaded or updated anything. Straight from the box last night.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

Yeah, I'm pretty fed up with Verizon. I'm especially mad that I had to switch to a tiered data plan (a shared family plan with my dad, whom I gave my strangely still activated iPhone, even though he can still make calls with his flip phone), and then, shortly after I got the phone, I found out that there was a way to keep your unlimited plan by adding a line with a dumb phone, giving it to Dad, then keeping the plan (I don't exactly understand this, can someone who kept their unlimited plan explain this to me? Also, if I did this, would I still have to pay full price? This is why I'm on the tiered plan because I didn't have $700 to spend). Now I'm stuck with a tiered plan for 2 years while many of you guys enjoy your still remaining unlimited plans. And there's nothing I can do about it. I could, like I've said before, return this phone and switch to Sprint and get their Note 2 (with full Multi Window features, no carrier branding, ability to root, and faster updates) and get an unlimited plan there, but they don't have nearly as much LTE coverage as Verizon (especially in Phoenix, where I'll be during winter break), their LTE may or may not be as fast as Verizon, and their service isn't as good.

I have no idea what to do anymore.

Are you outside of the 14-day return window? If you're still inside of it, you could just return it and get your unlimited back....

Basically, people just buy a Note 2 on a line that isn't their unlimited line. Because you'll have another line that you can upgrade on, or a newly activated line, you can get the Note 2 at the subsidized price. Then you just activate that Note 2 on your original line and activate a dumb phone on the new/upgraded line. Worst case scenario with that is that you end up paying for a dumb phone line for 2 years that you don't need. Best case is that you had another line already that you could use for the upgrade, and you don't really lose anything.
    Thanked by:
    mrxblue likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Quote Originally Posted by Tari View Post
    Are you outside of the 14-day return window? If you're still inside of it, you could just return it and get your unlimited back....

Basically, people just buy a Note 2 on a line that isn't their unlimited line. Because you'll have another line that you can upgrade on, or a newly activated line, you can get the Note 2 at the subsidized price. Then you just activate that Note 2 on your original line and activate a dumb phone on the new/upgraded line. Worst case scenario with that is that you end up paying for a dumb phone line for 2 years that you don't need. Best case is that you had another line already that you could use for the upgrade, and you don't really lose anything.
    How can I find out if I have another line? I already have a dumb phone (an LG Chocolate flip phone). If I do have another line, will I end up paying for the dumb phone, too?

I only have one line, so I can't help you there, sorry. You won't need to buy another dumb phone, though, as long as you already have one that works with Verizon.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

How can I find out if I have another line? I already have a dumb phone (an LG Chocolate flip phone). If I do have another line, will I end up paying for the dumb phone, too?
    If you don't know if you have another line chances are you don't. But you can login to your Verizon account and it should show you if you have multiple lines. Or check your phone bill.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

That being said, it's my gut instinct that Verizon definitely ripped out these apps from Multiview mode, why? Simple. Big Red has been ultra greedy when it comes to data plans and bandwidth usage lately. It is no surprise that the apps they removed from this feature are heavy on data usage. Go figure. Oh but let's conveniently leave in things like Gallery, Video Player, Text Messaging and S-Pen Note suite. Nice Verizon, you are oh so sneaky.
    You know that they also left in the stock browser. Does Youtube running via Chrome use more bandwidth then Youtube running on the browser that is included in Multiview? If Verizon was really trying to cut down on bandwidth, why did they leave in the stock browser?

The two apps they didn't include are both apps from Google. Isn't it more likely that they didn't include them because they didn't have they time (or inclination) to test non-standard versions before their release?

Doesn't the fact the google can release updates to these apps (without going through Verizon) that make them work with Multiview make your theory even less likely. Or do you think that small developers like Moon+Reader and GpcSOFT can add support for MultiWindow but Google can not?

Sorry, this is incorrect. I just tried it and it worked fine.

MrMLK when you load up a Youtube video using the stock browser in multi-window mode, does it make the browser window turn into a Youtube APK window, or does it remain in the browser displaying m.youtube.com? Just curious because that's still technically the browser, however instead of a Flash element it's utilizing the Youtube.apk.

You can argue the why's and why not's all you like but what you cannot argue is the fact that the Verizon version of this phone is not only visibly different (home button logo) but it also is the only one with features stripped from it. And it also had the longest delay in release. So chalk it up however you like, the phone was supposed to have features and only one carrier is missing them.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

MrMLK when you load up a Youtube video using the stock browser in multi-window mode, does it make the browser window turn into a Youtube APK window, or does it remain in the browser displaying m.youtube.com? Just curious because that's still technically the browser, however instead of a Flash element it's utilizing the Youtube.apk.
    Its still in the browser. I can post a screen shot if you like.

You can argue the why's and why not's all you like but what you cannot argue is the fact that the Verizon version of this phone is not only visibly different (home button logo) but it also is the only one with features stripped from it. And it also had the longest delay in release. So chalk it up however you like, the phone was supposed to have features and only one carrier is missing them.
    This is simply not true. The ATT, T-Mobile and (It think) US Cellular phones do not have multiwindow at all. They will all need the carrier to do a firmware update before they get the feature. Verizon is missing the blocking mode and the Wifi toggle and 2 apps in the Multiwindow. All four of those things can be addressed with third party utilities (Wifi Toggle and blocking mode) or fixed with an app update. None of them need a firmware/system update. While I would prefer to have all of those feature now, none of them need Verizon approval for me to get them.

The phone has been out on Verzion for two days. We are going to be using it for the next 1-2 years. Maybe more. Can we all try to keep a little perspective? If it takes us a couple of weeks more before Mutliview has all the apps we thought we would get out of the box, is that really such a big deal?
    Thanked by:
    mrxblue likes this.

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Quote Originally Posted by tcapote View Post
    I have the International Unlocked GN2 (running on Straight Talk as a test), YouTube, gmail, twitter, facebook, chrome and others are supported in multiview. I picked up the VZW GN2 today and noticed they don't support those, I am taking it back tomorrow. If you are are willing to wait for an update from Verizon, plan on it being a long while. Sorry VZW, this was it for me, your bloatware, lack of vendor provided support, battery life and slow updates...I think I am done.

Couldn't agree more. Well said. I'm checking out sprint and At&T

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    Its still in the browser. I can post a screen shot if you like.

This is simply not true. The ATT, T-Mobile and (It think) US Cellular phones do not have multiwindow at all. They will all need the carrier to do a firmware update before they get the feature. Verizon is missing the blocking mode and the Wifi toggle and 2 apps in the Multiwindow. All four of those things can be addressed with third party utilities (Wifi Toggle and blocking mode) or fixed with an app update. None of them need a firmware/system update. While I would prefer to have all of those feature now, none of them need Verizon approval for me to get them.

The phone has been out on Verzion for two days. We are going to be using it for the next 1-2 years. Maybe more. Can we all try to keep a little perspective? If it takes us a couple of weeks more before Mutliview has all the apps we thought we would get out of the box, is that really such a big deal?
    They already pushed the update.

Quote Originally Posted by NHBass39 View Post
    They already pushed the update.
    Sprint did., but AFAIK. no one else has yet.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

Wait, did the Sprint version get Chrome, YouTube, Gmail, Facebook and such when it got the Multi Window update? Or did did they only get the 7 apps that are also on the Verizon version and, as a result, had to root?

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

sprint had nothing, then got everything at once

FWIW, Samsung tweeted me back and once again stated the multi window issue with missing apps will be updated and then questioned my issue with the non s planner calendar widget, the full screen one. Maybe they have will an update or response at least.
    Sent from my Rooted VZW Note 3
    mrxblue likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  

Apparently you can root it now:
    forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34891781

If I do this will I lose S Pen/ TouchWiz features?

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Apparently you can root it now:
    forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34891781

If I do this will I lose S Pen/ TouchWiz features?
    wow less than 48 hours and its rooted
    way to say FU to verizon

Quote Originally Posted by mkhalil06 View Post
    wow less than 48 hours and its rooted
    way to say FU to verizon
    wow, less then 48 hours and Chrome is availably for Mutliview.

way to say Verizon doesn't seem to have done anything to block it. So much for all the paranoid theories.

[Tutorial] Add additional apps to Multi Window without needing root [Verizon] - xda-developers
    Thanked by:
    mrxblue likes this.

I was playing with a Sprint Samsung Note 2 today and noticed it has YouTube and other apps in the multi-window tab. However, when you press the Edit button, it seems the only thing you can do is to take out apps and move them over to another window. But you cannot replace with any other apps, which defeats the purpose of the edit button. The Sprint rep tried to replace with other apps, but wasn't able to do it. Weird, just weird. I also went over to AT&T to play with their Note 2, but that particular version did not seem to have multi-window capability, at least not that I could find.
    Is that a Samsung Note 3 in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

Speaking of apps not in Multi Window, I would really love to see the Contacts app as an option.
    There are times when I come across an address or phone number on the internet, and the information is an image instead of text. Therefore, it can't be copied as you would with traditional text. I planned on getting the Note 2 so I would be able to use the Contacts app and Web Browser at the same time. I could have the contact info pulled up in the browser, while using the Contacts app to enter that person or business into my Address Book. Since it doesn't have the Contacts app as an option, then it's no better than the way I'm doing on the phone I have now.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123