YouTube won't work with Multi Window?

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
#1 What makes you think I wouldn't dump a woman with cankles? :)

#2 The multiview feature was a huge selling point for many people. The fact that it isn't as robust on Verizon makes that a valid reason to return it at this time. It can always be purchased again after it gets fixed. There is no telling how long it will take Verizon to fix the issue but I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be within the next 13 days.

#3 The blocking mode feature is also missing and apparently many were looking forward to that. That one doesn't bother me as I hadn't heard about that feature until yesterday.

#4 Apparently there is also the matter of s-planner not being available.

I refuse to keep a device past the return period that to me isn't fully functional, unless root access is gained. If we don't get root within the return window I will have to take it back.

Do your thing, amigo. To each their own. The only thing I really care about on that list of "missing features" is the multiwindow; the S-planner and blocking feature mean nothing to me. And so far as Youtube goes...I've been using it all day in multiwindow mode, though admittedly through the browser. It works just fine...I guess I don't quite understand the level of freakout people are having over what will likely be a transient problem. Again though, each person is entitled to view this as they wish. I'm certainly loving this phone more and more each minute.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Do your thing, amigo. To each their own. The only thing I really care about on that list of "missing features" is the multiwindow; the S-planner and blocking feature mean nothing to me. And so far as Youtube goes...I've been using it all day in multiwindow mode, though admittedly through the browser. It works just fine...I guess I don't quite understand the level of freakout people are having over what will likely be a transient problem. Again though, each person is entitled to view this as they wish. I'm certainly loving this phone more and more each minute.

The level of freakout is due to Verizon's history of taking extremely long periods of time to push updates.
Many of us paid full price for this device. It would be nice to have it work as advertised.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Take that Twitter response with a grain of salt.

I'm a Thunderbolt owner who was told via Twitter and Facebook that I should be seeing Ice Cream Sandwich for my 1 year old phone out by the end of August the latest. August 31st came, no update. "Oh we missed the date but don't worry, soon!"

It's about to be December 1st and I still have no Ice Cream Sandwich.

Do not trust companies with PR personnel. They will always sugar coat reality to lull you into a state of not caring and just waiting.

That being said, it's my gut instinct that Verizon definitely ripped out these apps from Multiview mode, why? Simple. Big Red has been ultra greedy when it comes to data plans and bandwidth usage lately. It is no surprise that the apps they removed from this feature are heavy on data usage. Go figure. Oh but let's conveniently leave in things like Gallery, Video Player, Text Messaging and S-Pen Note suite. Nice Verizon, you are oh so sneaky.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I'm a Thunderbolt owner who was told via Twitter and Facebook that I should be seeing Ice Cream Sandwich for my 1 year old phone out by the end of August the latest. August 31st came, no update. "Oh we missed the date but don't worry, soon!"

Do not trust companies with PR personnel. They will always sugar coat reality to lull you into a state of not caring and just waiting.

That being said, it's my gut instinct that Verizon definitely ripped out these apps from Multiview mode, why? Simple. Big Red has been ultra greedy when it comes to data plans and bandwidth usage lately. It is no surprise that the apps they removed from this feature are heavy on data usage. Go figure. Oh but let's conveniently leave in things like Gallery, Video Player, Text Messaging and S-Pen Note suite. Nice Verizon, you are oh so sneaky.

I agree that Verizon is shady, however, YouTube and web browsers still work, they just don't work with multiview. Multiview won't make the apps use any more data than they will without it.
Not to mention they would be able to charge users on the shared plans $15/GB over the limit if it did, which would be in Verizon's favor.
Also, super video which does work in multiview can play YouTube videos.

PrisonedMuffin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

So you're saying that this tweet is probably not true? You do realize it would be real dumb for Verizon not to update the Multi Window? People could be watching YouTube while browsing the Web at the same time, meaning data being used quicker, which means more people going over the cap, meaning more money for Verizon, right? Not trying to put you down or anything, I'm just recording my thoughts. If what you're is true, then I'll either root or switch to Sprint (depending on the return time).

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying that this tweet is probably not true? You do realize it would be real dumb for Verizon not to update the Multi Window? People could be watching YouTube while browsing the Web at the same time, meaning data being used quicker, which means more people going over the cap, meaning more money for Verizon, right? Not trying to put you down or anything, I'm just recording my thoughts. If what you're is true, then I'll either root or switch to Sprint (depending on the return time).

I think his main concern was with the term "soon".

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

By your same theory then why not let users download free tether apps without requiring root? Wouldn't they blow through their data caps so quickly, requiring the users to cough up more dough to Big Red?

The reason is that they try to keep things slowed down on your end so that their networks don't get clogged up. I mean the riddance of unlimited data plans pays more tribute to this than to financial gain for them anyway. Putting a cap on your data usage means you will not openly blow up their networks on a daily basis consuming more data than many others, making the network worse for everyone.

And yes, being able to have a Youtube app playing an HD video while simultaneously browsing the web DOES increase your bandwidth/sec whether you believe so or not. I don't know how you can't figure that out. I mean, c'mon its the reason they said tethering is a no no because you can multitask much easier on a PC than you can on a Phone, leading to greater drains on the network.

I think his main concern was with the term "soon".

Correct.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
We need ability to unlock the bootloader and root ASAP.

I can live with root alone, the unlocked bootloader would be a bonus.

By your same theory then why not let users download free tether apps without requiring root? Wouldn't they blow through their data caps so quickly, requiring the users to cough up more dough to Big Red?

The reason is that they try to keep things slowed down on your end so that their networks don't get clogged up. I mean the riddance of unlimited data plans pays more tribute to this than to financial gain for them anyway. Putting a cap on your data usage means you will not openly blow up their networks on a daily basis consuming more data than many others, making the network worse for everyone.

And yes, being able to have a Youtube app playing an HD video while simultaneously browsing the web DOES increase your bandwidth/sec whether you believe so or not. I don't know how you can't figure that out. I mean, c'mon its the reason they said tethering is a no no because you can multitask much easier on a PC than you can on a Phone, leading to greater drains on the network.

Correct.

I believe the FCC made Verizon let users use tethering apps. Several people have said foxfi works.
We can use the web and YouTube at the same time now, just not using the YouTube app.
Don't forget, Gmail doesn't work for us in multiview either, that isn't saving Verizon anything.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Gmail is true, but also keep in mind that out of the box you can't use Youtube in the web browser without manually going to Adobe's site and downloading the actual APK files for flashplayer.

OffSpot2

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Verizon stalled the release of this device to get everything right... (so the rep told me)
Multi-window was a huge selling point of this device... (but now not as robust as others)
Verizon says expect an update soon?...
Expensive retail cost with limited return window...
We need root ASAP - but why should we at $700.00...
There are always issues with a new release... (as we are seeing)
Sometimes older is wiser... "Never be the first kid on the block..."
"Good things come to those that wait..."

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Gmail is true, but also keep in mind that out of the box you can't use Youtube in the web browser without manually going to Adobe's site and downloading the actual APK files for flashplayer.

You mean in multiview? Then you are incorrect, sir. Been using YouTube in split-screen mode via the browser all day. Never downloaded or updated anything. Straight from the box last night.

PrisonedMuffin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty fed up with Verizon. I'm especially mad that I had to switch to a tiered data plan (a shared family plan with my dad, whom I gave my strangely still activated iPhone, even though he can still make calls with his flip phone), and then, shortly after I got the phone, I found out that there was a way to keep your unlimited plan by adding a line with a dumb phone, giving it to Dad, then keeping the plan (I don't exactly understand this, can someone who kept their unlimited plan explain this to me? Also, if I did this, would I still have to pay full price? This is why I'm on the tiered plan because I didn't have $700 to spend). Now I'm stuck with a tiered plan for 2 years while many of you guys enjoy your still remaining unlimited plans. And there's nothing I can do about it. I could, like I've said before, return this phone and switch to Sprint and get their Note 2 (with full Multi Window features, no carrier branding, ability to root, and faster updates) and get an unlimited plan there, but they don't have nearly as much LTE coverage as Verizon (especially in Phoenix, where I'll be during winter break), their LTE may or may not be as fast as Verizon, and their service isn't as good.

I have no idea what to do anymore.

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Are you outside of the 14-day return window? If you're still inside of it, you could just return it and get your unlimited back....

Basically, people just buy a Note 2 on a line that isn't their unlimited line. Because you'll have another line that you can upgrade on, or a newly activated line, you can get the Note 2 at the subsidized price. Then you just activate that Note 2 on your original line and activate a dumb phone on the new/upgraded line. Worst case scenario with that is that you end up paying for a dumb phone line for 2 years that you don't need. Best case is that you had another line already that you could use for the upgrade, and you don't really lose anything.

PrisonedMuffin

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you outside of the 14-day return window? If you're still inside of it, you could just return it and get your unlimited back....

Basically, people just buy a Note 2 on a line that isn't their unlimited line. Because you'll have another line that you can upgrade on, or a newly activated line, you can get the Note 2 at the subsidized price. Then you just activate that Note 2 on your original line and activate a dumb phone on the new/upgraded line. Worst case scenario with that is that you end up paying for a dumb phone line for 2 years that you don't need. Best case is that you had another line already that you could use for the upgrade, and you don't really lose anything.

How can I find out if I have another line? I already have a dumb phone (an LG Chocolate flip phone). If I do have another line, will I end up paying for the dumb phone, too?

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I only have one line, so I can't help you there, sorry. You won't need to buy another dumb phone, though, as long as you already have one that works with Verizon.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How can I find out if I have another line? I already have a dumb phone (an LG Chocolate flip phone). If I do have another line, will I end up paying for the dumb phone, too?

If you don't know if you have another line chances are you don't. But you can login to your Verizon account and it should show you if you have multiple lines. Or check your phone bill.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

You know that they also left in the stock browser. Does Youtube running via Chrome use more bandwidth then Youtube running on the browser that is included in Multiview? If Verizon was really trying to cut down on bandwidth, why did they leave in the stock browser?

The two apps they didn't include are both apps from Google. Isn't it more likely that they didn't include them because they didn't have they time (or inclination) to test non-standard versions before their release?

Doesn't the fact the google can release updates to these apps (without going through Verizon) that make them work with Multiview make your theory even less likely. Or do you think that small developers like Moon+Reader and GpcSOFT can add support for MultiWindow but Google can not?