Want Note II and My Unlimited data.

DenverCZBob

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I are on Family shared voice and have unlimited data.
Does the ?Add a new line and get the Note II discounted with a 2gb data plan, then later remove Note from line and replace it with a dumb phone, move Note to my line trick" still work?
Seems Verizon would be a little peeved at sending me a new phone on a new line with tiered data and then have the data part canceled a day or two later?
Just wondering if anyone has done this recently..

Thanks!

-bob

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
My brother did this yesterday to get an iPhone 5 for this wife. So, yes, it still works. But, he wanted an extra dumbphone line anyway. The extra dumbphone line adds $13 and some change to his monthly bill. And he kept his and his wife's two Unlimited data plans.

$13+change/mo for 24 months = approx $320
$30 activation fee
$299 for phone (if you get a N2)

= $649 you'd be paying for the N2

So, you could save about $50 and spread the payments out over 2 years by doing this, versus buying the phone outright. Not a bad deal, as long as you don't decide to leave Verizon in that two years.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering.... how much data do you guys go thru in a month to need un limited so badly?

Here's a couple of quick figures to give you an idea of:

I own a Thunderbolt at the moment and plan on upgrading to a Note 2 very soon. I'm at the last day of my cycle and I stand on 1.5GB used on my unlimited data plan. I absolutely hate this phone, I try to only use it to text and make calls, and sometimes look up forum posts and read articles on the web when I'm out. I NEVER stream any media of any kind, no music or videos, no Youtube, nothing. Just pure text. So for me to pull 1.5GB after what the common smartphone hipster would consider below >light< usage, yeah I need unlimited. Not going to spend the same amount of money just to put a cap on myself.

Now on the flip side of the picture:

My brother got his Galaxy Note 2 around 4:00 PM EST launch day. By 6:30 PM, I figured it'd be a good idea to have him check the Data Usage menu in the Settings app. Sure enough, in just over 2 hours he managed to pull 352MB just by updating the apps on his phone and testing out the web browser/Youtube. So he nearly blew through a quarter of his allotted data plan in not even a day, but in just a couple of hours.

When you have a phone that can pull 45Mbps down, equipped with a Quad-Core processor that chews through web pages and online videos like it's its job, well you chew through data like it's your job.

I am confident that if I am burning through 1.5GB a month on this crappy phone that I hate, imagine if I had a device that I absolutely loved and couldn't put down that simultaneously allows me to perform those data consumption tasks faster. Yeah, unlimited is pretty much a must for me. And I'm not some 16 year old kid who goes all out with his phone. I'm just a 25 year old guy who enjoys using his phone to look things up while he's on the go.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I own a Thunderbolt at the moment and plan on upgrading to a Note 2 very soon. I'm at the last day of my cycle and I stand on 1.5GB used on my unlimited data plan. I absolutely hate this phone, I try to only use it to text and make calls, and sometimes look up forum posts and read articles on the web when I'm out. I NEVER stream any media of any kind, no music or videos, no Youtube, nothing. Just pure text. So for me to pull 1.5GB after what the common smartphone hipster would consider below >light< usage, yeah I need unlimited. Not going to spend the same amount of money just to put a cap on myself.

My brother got his Galaxy Note 2 around 4:00 PM EST launch day. By 6:30 PM, I figured it'd be a good idea to have him check the Data Usage menu in the Settings app. Sure enough, in just over 2 hours he managed to pull 352MB just by updating the apps on his phone and testing out the web browser/Youtube. So he nearly blew through a quarter of his allotted data plan in not even a day, but in just a couple of hours.

When you have a phone that can pull 45Mbps down, equipped with a Quad-Core processor that chews through web pages and online videos like it's its job, well you chew through data like it's your job.

I am confident that if I am burning through 1.5GB a month on this crappy phone that I hate, imagine if I had a device that I absolutely loved and couldn't put down that simultaneously allows me to perform those data consumption tasks faster. Yeah, unlimited is pretty much a must for me. And I'm not some 16 year old kid who goes all out with his phone. I'm just a 25 year old guy who enjoys using his phone to look things up while he's on the go.

Looking up things on the go is one thing. But why update all the apps if not on Wi-Fi? If there wasn't Wi-Fi available, I'd wait to do all that.....

OffSpot2

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I am on a slow dial-up connection (3g) so I don`t watch video or streaming stuff much. Lags and buffering kills it. I am a "light user" and use around 1.8g per month. I will now move to LTE and that opens up a whole new world of potential things I can do. Now I can play...
Don`t limit the amount of potential you can play. You may find inside yourself a whole new play... Keep your unlimited while you can...

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Looking up things on the go is one thing. But why update all the apps if not on Wi-Fi? If there wasn't Wi-Fi available, I'd wait to do all that.....

Google Play Store was only responsible for about 30% of the total bandwidth he used though. Granted yeah if you have a Wi-Fi available you use it, but just saying.

Why NOT take advantage of an unlimited data plan on a faster internet connection than you have at home? I prefer knowing I have "unlimited" and am not going to get charged more for going over a cap. The thought of even having a cap is really off-putting. Makes me not want to use my device. Of course this is all subjective and if you can handle and don't mind paying for less, by all means thats your call. But it's not for me (nor my wife.)

infmethod

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

How do you do 1.5gb of data by surfing the web? Given, I am always connected to wifi at home and my office but even when I tried to use as much data as I could in a month with my Gnex and 4g on I only managed to get to 2.5gb. Id consider myself a heavy user. I take it you dont have access to wifi anywhere?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Google Play Store was only responsible for about 30% of the total bandwidth he used though. Granted yeah if you have a Wi-Fi available you use it, but just saying.

Why NOT take advantage of an unlimited data plan on a faster internet connection than you have at home? I prefer knowing I have "unlimited" and am not going to get charged more for going over a cap. The thought of even having a cap is really off-putting. Makes me not want to use my device. Of course this is all subjective and if you can handle and don't mind paying for less, by all means thats your call. But it's not for me (nor my wife.)

What are you going to do when the unlimited goes away? And it's coming.....

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
How do you do 1.5gb of data by surfing the web? Given, I am always connected to wifi at home and my office but even when I tried to use as much data as I could in a month with my Gnex and 4g on I only managed to get to 2.5gb. Id consider myself a heavy user. I take it you dont have access to wifi anywhere?

No idea but here it is for this past billing cycle. It's actually off by a few days, cycle ends for me today so it's missing about 250MB. But yeah I browse the web a lot on my phone when I'm out reading news articles, forums and just general google searches. I NEVER go on Youtube, hardly ever load images etc, and yet with an average screen on time daily of about 1 hour, I manage 1.5GB on this crumby phone.

I can't even play Flash video's on my phone without it lagging out completely and freezing, so I don't even bother. Honestly it surprises me too how just hitting mostly text sites is giving me such high data usage, but its fact and I will hold out on unlimited as long as I can.

screenshot2012120117372.png

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm tired of the "use wifi" or the "how much data do you really use" .............. I pay around $250 for 2 unlimited lines and one 2gb line and 2 dumb phones.....to switch them all over to share 6gb would be around the same amount.....except we would then have to stress out about not USING the data our phones cry out to use, who's using how much, where am i and wheres the wifi, nope can't use that feature because im away from wifi i'll have to wait, nope can't tether my laptop, nope can't tether my tablet;......and on and on. I want to use the phone however and whenever i want dang it. i watch dish tv away from home, netflix, pandora, tether.....i need the data......and more importantly i have it and will do all i can to keep it.....

more power to you if you don't use much data or are ok with jumping through wifi hoops, but please stop acting like i'm crazy for wanting to keep something that gives me the freedom of options......

deep breath....sorry....guess it's become a hot button topic for me.....

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed kars, I pay for unlimited so I DON'T have to worry about being on a Wi-Fi network 24/7. There were limited data packages back in the day too, why didn't most of these users choose them then? Because it wasn't a good deal then. What makes them think sticking with unlimited data for the same price as the BOTTOM data package isn't a good deal now?

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I didn't check it when I activated the note 2 but the week prior I bought a DNA and within 2 hours I already had used 700 mb getting my apps back on it.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

smackdn775

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Lady at verizon customer service also said for me to watch my email. If you have your email set to push, the phone will apparently use data everytime it is doing a sync. So with multiple emails it starts to add up.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering.... how much data do you guys go thru in a month to need un limited so badly?

I've had the Note 2 running since 6pm Thursday evening and I've burned through 2.7gb already just using it pretty much non stop. I do have wifi at my house but frankly, 4g is faster.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I do have wifi at my house but frankly, 4g is faster.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Same here. Since I got 4g @ home my usage has gone up from less than 1g to almost 4g. I haven't even gotten my Note 2 yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
6 gb last month. There is no way I would leave my unlimited and go to a 6gig plan.

I'm still on an old 1200 minute voice plan and I go over calls, verizon can charge me then. ;)

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz