Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By byrds8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need to unplug cord if Note 2 fully charged?

I normally used to keep my charging cord plugged to my Razr Maxx all night long, and unplug it for use the next morning.

I noticed yesterday evening my Note 2 had some alert light come on saying something to the effect of "battery fully charged, unplug your phone".

Does that mean if I leave the phone charger cord on, if fully charged already, this might damage the phone? I'm hoping not.

Casey
    Is that a Samsung Note 2 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default Re: Need to unplug cord if Note 2 fully charged?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey415 View Post
    I normally used to keep my charging cord plugged to my Razr Maxx all night long, and unplug it for use the next morning.

I noticed yesterday evening my Note 2 had some alert light come on saying something to the effect of "battery fully charged, unplug your phone".

Does that mean if I leave the phone charger cord on, if fully charged already, this might damage the phone? I'm hoping not.

Casey
    No you can leave it plugged in. I don't know why they have that horrible "Unplug your phone" message but I leave my phone's to charge while I sleep and haven't killed one yet.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

Ok not 100% accurate and scientifically sound here but here's the basic principle why you always unplug a Lithium Ion battery when it hits 100%:

These rechargeable batteries have a limited life of charging cycles. Basically, when you charge and discharge, that's a cycle.

When the phone it's 100% the charger will enter trickle charge mode where it slows down the charge amperage to a minimal amount. This allows the phone to drain a bit, and slowly charge back up. This is a waste of recharge cycles. Ideal usage would be to hit 100%, unplug the device, and let her drain down as much as possible before charging it again. If you can, to maximize, literally let it hit 1%. That's not always a good idea for your own personal reasons. You might need to fully charge it before you go out for a long day, so 20-30% to full is a good recharge cycle.

But just as a basic good habit, always unplug a smartphone once it hits 100%. Especially with how efficient this particular device is and how big it is, unplugging it say before you go to bed, you might see 3-5% battery loss by the time you wake up. That's awesome.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Ok not 100% accurate and scientifically sound here but here's the basic principle why you always unplug a Lithium Ion battery when it hits 100%:

These rechargeable batteries have a limited life of charging cycles. Basically, when you charge and discharge, that's a cycle.

When the phone it's 100% the charger will enter trickle charge mode where it slows down the charge amperage to a minimal amount. This allows the phone to drain a bit, and slowly charge back up. This is a waste of recharge cycles. Ideal usage would be to hit 100%, unplug the device, and let her drain down as much as possible before charging it again. If you can, to maximize, literally let it hit 1%. That's not always a good idea for your own personal reasons. You might need to fully charge it before you go out for a long day, so 20-30% to full is a good recharge cycle.

But just as a basic good habit, always unplug a smartphone once it hits 100%. Especially with how efficient this particular device is and how big it is, unplugging it say before you go to bed, you might see 3-5% battery loss by the time you wake up. That's awesome.
    Still not completely accurate. Yes they have a life span of so many recharge cycles. But most info will tell you its better to plug it in at X% than to let it drain down to nothing and then charge it. If you go from 0-100 that is a whole cycle. However, 50-100 is not considered a whole recharge cycle.
    Eclipse2K likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Don't these batteries have thousands of recharge cycles? I don't know about you guys but at this rate I'm barely keeping my phone for a year. I don't think constantly having my phone charged is going to kill the battery before I trade the phone in or sell it for a new one.
    Phone: Sprint EVO => Sprint EVO 3D => Verizon Galaxy Nexus => Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Tablet: Acer Iconia a500, Nexus 7
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

For myself, I think I'd rather risk killing a battery a premature death, and simply buying a replacement battery, just as long as it doesn't kill the phone by overcharging.
    Is that a Samsung Note 2 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

However, someone with replacement batteries is also going to leave the battery in the charger often far past it being fully charged. Will that also shorten the life span of the battery?

I think it's a much simpler matter of, being green.

Quote Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
    Still not completely accurate. Yes they have a life span of so many recharge cycles. But most info will tell you its better to plug it in at X% than to let it drain down to nothing and then charge it. If you go from 0-100 that is a whole cycle. However, 50-100 is not considered a whole recharge cycle.
    Correct. I whole cycle is measured from 0% - 100%. I have also read in several places that Li-on batteries perform better when charged more often because it keeps the molecules moving. I am not a scientist by a long shot, but like I said I read this in several places.

I always unplug my phone in the morning, check email and plug it back in to top it off. Once the battery hits 100% the charger will cycle between 100% - 95%, which is why it seems that the battery drops faster some days more than others. By topping it off, I am assured of a 100% charge, not that I really need it most days. This battery is awesome!
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Quote Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
    You are right about that. A half charge is significantly better than a full charge.

However keeping phones at 100%/max voltage has been proven to kill cells faster than if kept at 50%/3.7v. Thing is though batteries are not meant to last forever they are predetermined to die off just like we are. So do what makes you happy and enjoy it while it lasts. Because no matter how much you baby it it will die eventually.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

ROM
    Stock

And if you're still concerned about batteries or battery life, just buy this instead.

I've been an android owner since D1 and then Droid X then Rezound and now GN2. I can't ever remember telling myself my battery life is worse than it used to be. And I've never changed a battery. Except when I chose an extended and that happens when I get the phone. And if you do need to change a battery how expensive can it be. Charge away IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

I keep it plugged in all night. Batteries can be replaced. Infact there was a deal on amazon 3 batteries (different brand) ) with a battery charger for 25 dollars. They work pretty good. I tested them but i always use my stock battery. I also bought a spare stock battery so now I have 5 batteries. I go camping alot so now I'm good for 5 days without power. I got off track here. I plug in when i go to bed so obviously i don't wake up in the middle of the night just to unplug.

Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    love my evo.

I charge mine nightly too. It won't overcharge. No need to worry

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

If the timing works out, I'll unplug it once it's 100% charged up. If i go to bed with it still charging, I'll just leave it through the night.

In my experience with smartphones, I've never had to replace a stock battery because it does out or noticed any lost in battery performance near the end of my time of using the phone.

I agree having spares is a smart idea if you find yourself in places without electricity.

And having a 5000mah+ battery would be kick ***

Sent from Samsung galaxy note 2 (Verizon), titanium color