1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rant about NOTE II: What's up with the new upgrade fee by VZW & extra Taxes

Guys, pls excuse the rant. Yesterday when I upgraded to Note II, didn't look at bill at the counter until I got home. The agent charged the phone to my account so it wasn't like a normal transaction.

Here what I see on the bill: $30 upgrade fee, and a separate New York City and State sales tax. Yikes!!!!

Called VZW, and they confirmed that as of May of this year when you upgrade your phone, even with new two year contract and being eligible to upgrade they still hit you with 30 bucks.

They used to give us discount for upgrading and now they are charging us a fee?

Remember the $100 off the two year contract price?

Then they charge me two separate sales tax, one for the city and the other for the state. VZW confirmed that it was normal.

And on top of it, no matter how hard I tried and who I spoke with at VZW I couldn't get my unlimited data extended. Now I'm on 4 gig.

Are we suckers? Have we become so addicted to our gadgets that we just pay these extra fees without even thinking?

What do you guys think? Do other carriers charge upgrade fee?
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default Re: Rant about NOTE II: What's up with the new upgrade fee by VZW & extra Taxes

Yes, most charge upgrade fees. This is nothing new.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Rant about NOTE II: What's up with the new upgrade fee by VZW & extra Taxes

Lol yes we are def suckers!
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Do they charge upgrade fees if you purchase the phone for full retail? Because THAT would be bogus.

I do also feel that the upgrade fee in and of itself is a knee-jerk reaction to some shareholder demanding the stocks go up.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

VZW was the last carrier to not charge the 30 bucks, they just started that recently. Unfortunately NYC has a tax set aside just for them, and NY state. One of the great advantages of living in such a great city!!

Global Posts
    828 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Do they charge upgrade fees if you purchase the phone for full retail? Because THAT would be bogus.

I do also feel that the upgrade fee in and of itself is a knee-jerk reaction to some shareholder demanding the stocks go up.
    They do not charge upgrade fees at full retail.
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

We have it worse in California and Nevada.

In addition to paying an upgrade fee of $30, residents in CA and NV have to pay sales tax for the full retail price of the phone instead of the discount price. In other words, we have to pay tax for $699 instead of $299.

That's what Verizon explained to me. There may be a few other states that do it this way too.

Sent from Samsung galaxy note 2 (Verizon)

Kind of tempting to get it cheaper on the international market now

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

Yes we are definitely all suckers. Too bad we dont pay the low low prices like they do over seas. Their bills every month are lower than ours. Heck even their internet is cheaper and they get more bandwidth than we do. Its pretty sad my phone bill a month is almost what I pay for my car. Its my fourth highest bill behind rent, groceries and the car.
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA77 View Post
    Guys, pls excuse the rant. Yesterday when I upgraded to Note II, didn't look at bill at the counter until I got home. The agent charged the phone to my account so it wasn't like a normal transaction.

Here what I see on the bill: $30 upgrade fee, and a separate New York City and State sales tax. Yikes!!!!

Called VZW, and they confirmed that as of May of this year when you upgrade your phone, even with new two year contract and being eligible to upgrade they still hit you with 30 bucks.

They used to give us discount for upgrading and now they are charging us a fee?

Remember the $100 off the two year contract price?

Then they charge me two separate sales tax, one for the city and the other for the state. VZW confirmed that it was normal.

And on top of it, no matter how hard I tried and who I spoke with at VZW I couldn't get my unlimited data extended. Now I'm on 4 gig.

Are we suckers? Have we become so addicted to our gadgets that we just pay these extra fees without even thinking?

What do you guys think? Do other carriers charge upgrade fee?
    You live in NY and have never noticed that there are 2 taxes paid on every purchase? You need to pay more attention to your bills kind sir.
    It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on!

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

Seems like no one cares. Everywhere you go there's tons of people with smartphones and they're all most likely paying the same prices. They cannot wait for their next upgrade to get the latest and greatest.

The carriers are smart.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

You live in NY and have never noticed that there are 2 taxes paid on every purchase? You need to pay more attention to your bills kind sir.
    I have not seen two tier sales tax on a receipt before, except for car rental and such. it's always just the 8.875% rate, categorized as 'sales tax.'
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW