The "No 32GB/64GB" Conundrum - Am I the only one who sees a problem?

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm a gamer. That's the problem.

I was this close to buying a brand new Note II today at my Verizon store. I have a 64GB microSD card lying infront of me. Then I found out the phone only had 16GB of internal storage and you can't install apps to the SD card. I instantly changed my mind.

Who organized this evolution of technology? Lets move everything to the cloud, then take away the data people need to reach it. "Brilliant!", said no one ever. Now I have unlimited data, and technically could just use it to keep re-downloading the games I want to play. But that's asinine enough to begin with - I'm going to open up this phone, install NOVA, Modern Combat, Need for Speed and SimCity and be out of disk space in 5 minutes. "Well just install them to the SD ca-oh wait."

If I didn't have unlimited data, I'd download NOVA once and be out of data for the month. Seems legit.

I seriously can't wrap my head around it. I'm more pissed off for other people than I am myself and just sincerely hope I've been misinformed. None of this is taking into consideration the laundry list of other tweaks these guys constantly need to make, like "removing YouTube from multiview" for no reason whatsoever. Someone at Verizon actually went out of their way to do that. Maybe it wasn't compatible with LTE yet, /s. You know, like the pogo pins weren't compatible with the Galaxy Nexus. How's that desktop dock coming along by the way, Verizon? The one we've waited a year+ for?

Sorry, I just hate seeing people get screwed over the stupidest things.

ldgregory

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The cloud is nice for some things and some people, but not me. I'm frequently in areas that there is no cell signal and not having access to my documents and other data just doesn't work for me. I'm also a mobile gamer. I keep lots of games installed at the same time because I'll either get stuck or bored (temporarily) with a game and play something else in the meantime.

I really, really wanted an N4 due to price, no contract, unlocked and pure Android, but 16GB? Really? I will say I agree with getting rid of SD cards. Keep the storage medium contiguous and available for whatever you want to store on it. But to only provide limited on device storage and expecting me to move everything to the cloud only ensures that I'll continue to vote with my wallet to buy devices that meet my needs. It's why I left the iDevice platform after having been on them since the iPhone 3G came out.

At any rate, I bought an HTC One X+ 64GB, and I'm happy. Long as at least one manufacturer makes a device I can use my way, I'll buy from them.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I think the low storage space typically available internally these days is done on purpose for two simple reasons:

1) Drive people to store data in the cloud and use more data
2) Drive people to have the need for a tablet with more storage space

It's a win-win for the device manufacturers and the wireless carriers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
At first, I was thinking of holding out for a few weeks in the hope that maybe Verizon will release a larger 32GB version of the Note 2. But alas, on debut day, I just went ahead and bought the Note 2 with only 16GB. Although I'm not a huge gamer, I do like games. I just installed Asphalt 6 and 7 racing games that each are 1-1/2 GB in size! The main reasons I installed these 2 games are because I like them, and already paid for them. I'm already down to 5.93 GB left of free internal memory on my Note 2. At this rate, I'll be out of internal memory in no time, haha! I don't believe I will be installing many more games, especially ones that are huge in size. I too have a 64GB Sandisk Ultra memory card which I'm using now in my Note 2. But as others have already pointed out, various apps cannot be moved to the card, if at all. Even my 64GB card is already half filled up from large Mpeg4 videos that are 2GB each, plus MP3, Jpegs, documents, etc. I would have happily paid another $50 to $100 more for a larger 32GB or 64GB internal memory Note 2 if it were available. Seriously, considering the large physical size of the Note 2, this device could easily hold internal memory that is 2 or 3 or 4 times larger! The Note 2 should easily be able to hold 128GB SSD internal memory similar to high end laptop computers, wouldn't you say?

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I doubt we'll ever see a 32GB or 64GB version for any of the Note II variants. Last I heard Samsung had killed off plans for the 64GB version all together. As for the "conspiracy theories" about why so little internal storage is offered.... The price difference for the OEM between 16GB and 32GB is a few dollars, fluctuates between $2 and $5, so it's safe to say they aren't trying to cut a few dollars off the price. I doubt the carriers are telling them to skimp on internal storage either just to get us to sign up for their cloud solutions since they know that Joe & Jane average aren't going to sign up when Google, Dropbox, etc. offer free storage. Plus if you look at non branded versions they come in the same capacity. As for not being able to move apps to SD cards, Google is to blame for that. Which is odd since they went on and on just over a year ago pushing devs to enable the feature before they decided to kill off support in the OS for external storage.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't have said it better. They don't know where their bread is buttered. They went from selling what we want to selling what they want to.

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I would own a note 2 right now if 32 or 64gb were available. The google sales have netted me some good but large games. Ive got 2gb left on my galaxy nexus. 16gb just doesn't cut it anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm one of the "cloud" people and I don't particularly have this problem. I do understand how it is an issue, especially with people that need large storage areas for apps. The easy solution would be for the app developers to store the actual data on the SD card, with just the app stored on the internal(and with an option to move the app to SD as well). HOWEVER, it should be said that once the bootloader is cracked, a custom ROM will re-add that feature. I know that not everyone wants to go down that path but for those who want the best of both worlds, I'd highly suggest it.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the positive response guys. Trying to find some ways around this. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a link here, but can anyone confirm if this trick works with the Note II? It may be our only hope: How to Install Apps to SD Card Without Android Rooting

Edit- Terry: Hi. I was going to upgrade to the Galaxy Note II but 16GB of internal storage will not suffice. Do you know if a 32GB version of the phone will be released?
Tristal: I'd be happy to assist you.
Tristal: No, there will not.
(Source: Verizon Sales Chat)

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I think one of the major reasons why low storage space device is more available is because to the general public, the lower cost phones is more attractive to them. Enthusiasts like us are never going to outweigh the general public for them to make bigger storage phones. For everyone 1 person wanting a 32/64b, there will be 10+ people wanting a 16gb (Not an accurate number, just saying).

An observation I see is that the Nexus 4 8GB is OOS, whereas you can still purchase a 16gb version. It may not be accurate, but seriously to us for $50 more it's like a no brainer to get the 16gb. But apparently it's not and people value money over space.

Whenever I visit the carrier stores, I don't ever hear people asking "do you have the X gb version?" It's more like, people find what looks appealing and buy it. For them, it's fashion over function. I doubt, they even know what Cloud is. Most of the people I know, uses it as a phone first and everything else is second (browsing, pandora, etc), so I can see how more space is not an attractive feature at all.

Plus, it's one of those situations where it's like, you buy it or you don't. Since most phones only come in with 16gb of internal space, we end up buying the phone regardless, thus creating this cycle saying that low storage space is okay. :(

duff60901

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sick of companies making high end devices like this and making them suck so the general public will buy them. These weren't made for the general public. I currently have a Droid X and have been waiting for the 64GB Note 2. I don't care if it carries a $1000 price tag. I will not buy one with less than32GB and sure as hell won't spend $800 on a device with the Verizon logo stamped on the home button.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got to believe that phone salespeople mislead the public on this issue. Maybe not all but most. Too many times I have been given the response that 16gig is enough because you can install an SD card and increase the storage. They are surprised to learn that SD card storage can't be used for applications, just data.

I will not buy a device with less then 32gig and without SD card support.

If that means I'll never get another Android phone, then so be it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
A phone that is fast as can be but cant connect to anything; a phone that has a great screen and no storage space; a fast phone with lots of storage but the display sucks. A dream phone with a chastity belt and the key held by the Big Red Monster; See what all your friends can do with their toys that you can't do with yours. Is this a practical joke? I already have a phone that doesnt do what it should, why pay for another? Im gonna sit on my crap ass Thunderbolt because none of these shape up. I live in an area with no 4G and sketchy 3G. The GS3 radio clearly isn't going to work for me. DNA, no external card, limited storage and no voice/data at the same time over 3G. The GN2, see DNA. And did you all have to buy your pens for the note separately? When they told me that at Best Buy I about had a canary I couldnt believe the audacity of selling a several hundred dollar phone while screwing you out of your unlimited data and then charging $20 for the miracle pen? WOW! When I get my 4th TB replacement from Best Buy tomorrow, LOL, Im gonna stroke it and welcome it back. Its already paid for and I know its demons! Show them with our wallets!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
And did you all have to buy your pens for the note separately? When they told me that at Best Buy I about had a canary I couldnt believe the audacity of selling a several hundred dollar phone while screwing you out of your unlimited data and then charging $20 for the miracle pen? WOW!

Best Buy was blowing smoke up your skirt. The S-Pen comes with the phone, no extra cost. :) You can purchase an extra or a replacement though if needed. Also, you still have a choice to keep unlimited data by paying full retail for the phone, so not screwed out of anything. I'm perfectly happy with the Note 2 and its 16GB storage (barely use 1GB of it anyway; moderation is key! :p). It absolutely puts my old Thunderbolt to shame (it's now relegated to the night stand drawer as a back up). I have no regrets! :)

Beetlesauce

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
While playing with the GN2 at a Verizon store a few days ago, I had a chit chat with the store manager about the Galaxy S3 having 16GB and 32GB available but not the GN2. He told me that even though the GS3 is available in 16GB and 32Gb, very few people purchased the 32GB version. The vast majority of buying public is more concerned with price and how the phone looks to them. Most will not be downloading tons of games or loading their phones with tons of movies etc. If the UK, which got the GN2 earlier still does not have the 32GB or 64GB variant, then good luck to anyone waiting for those to come to America anytime soon.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I too wish they had launched a 32GB version at the minimum with the inability to store the extra file content for big games onto the SD card that is a problem. At least I thought apps that d/l extra data still put them on the card but it seems they don't since 4.0 ICS.

duff60901

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy was blowing smoke up your skirt. The S-Pen comes with the phone, no extra cost. :) You can purchase an extra or a replacement though if needed. Also, you still have a choice to keep unlimited data by paying full retail for the phone, so not screwed out of anything. I'm perfectly happy with the Note 2 and its 16GB storage (barely use 1GB of it anyway; moderation is key! :p). It absolutely puts my old Thunderbolt to shame (it's now relegated to the night stand drawer as a back up). I have no regrets! :)

Moderation? Are you serious? With specs like it has, 4G, and that price tag... the only moderation involved is from Sammy only giving us 16GB and a mild 8MP camera instead of 64GB and a 13MP.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sick of companies making high end devices like this and making them suck so the general public will buy them. These weren't made for the general public.

LOL. Yes they were.

And LOL. These companies need mainstream consumers to survive.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11