Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Default Re: FM Radio and SVDO on Verizon Galaxy Note 2?

The International version of the GN2 has an FM Radio app on the phone weather this is just an app that pulls the radio from the internet or a front end to an actual FM radio antenna I am not sure. Also the US versions do not have this app again it may just not be included not sure if the US hardware would have the same FM radio antenna that the International one would and just not give an app for it or not.

My Sprint version has no FM radio. If the Fm radio is that important get the international GN2 version then just buy the little part of the adapter that plugs into the US outlet from Samsung or use a computer to charge the phone through the USB cable. Of course this option will not work if your on Verizon or Sprint as they use CDMA which is almost extinct in Europe and most other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Verizon version does NOT have fm radio.
    Does it physically not have the radio, or is it simply disabled? And if it's disabled, is it disabled in software or hardware? In other words, if a Verizon owner rooted their phone and installed another ROM, could they get access to the radio?

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    Atlas,
    Millions of people listen to Fm radio everyday so I believe it is very relevent.
    Persnally, all of my local pro and college sports broadcasts are on FM radio. I'm sure there is some way to listen over the web but it is much easier and less expensive with free over the air radio.
    Thanks for the info from you and Pizza Dude. I will check out TuneIn Radio.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    This.

Although I personally haven't used it since 08 as I've had XM Radio in my cars since then. Expensive yes but quality is superior and no random static.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

Didn't the Bionic have a FM radio built into it? I only remember used it a couple times I just cant remember if it was my OG droid or bionic lol

Hello from Ecuador, South America. I use the SGN2 international version FM Radio app a lot. Data plans are pretty expensive, so I use this app whenever there is no wifi ap, while ridding my bike, if I want to listen to news, random music to vary the one stored on my phone etc. Very useful. I wish though that a media app with FM, Internet, Podcast, Audio and Video app would be available...An alternative to the stock app is Spirit FM Radio ....very few choices in this area...who would imagine...radio frequencies are a great way to communicate...Regards

When I bought my Note 2, from Verizon, it replaced my old worn out Thunderbolt.
    I loved the Thunderbolt radio, I used it a lot for time at the gym and for working in the yard. No need for the data plan, and reception was good.
    Now, I have a limited plan and the idea of using my precious data on something like FM radio sounds like such a bad idea.

I found a Bluetooth headset that has an FM receiver built into the headset, which lets my phone ring through, should I have a call. Mine is a Sony-Ericsson MW600. It's just a little thing. You can use it with the stock (rubbery) headphones that come with it, or you can use your own.
    When you get a call, the headset beeps at you, you push a little button on the base, which clips onto your shirt or collar, and take your call. Then when your call is over, it goes right back to the radio. It's working well for me after about a month now.

I think FM should be included in all cell phones, if anything, just to have for informational purposes, and it's not like it takes a lot of room up on a chip. Just my opinion.

Hope this is helpful,

Marian

I wished that my note 2 had fm radio. My old htc did out of the box without any modification. Of course, note 2 has a 5.5" screen which is way bigger than the 4.7" on my old htc. The htc did have a 16mp camera though.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12