FM Radio and SVDO on Verizon Galaxy Note 2?

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I am currently sporting a stock ThunderBolt with extended battery.
I plan on getting a GN2 in the next week or two once I have gotten back a significant amount of Verizon user feedback.
I am trying to confirm two T-Bolt features that the GN2 doesn't seem to offer.
Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3g.
I use this a lot right now as there are a lot of holes in LTE coverage around me.
Also, I use the FM radio quite a bit on my T-Bolt.
Is there an FM radio on the GN2?
If not, is there an app I could use to pull in local stations?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I cannot speak to the first part except to say that it should do both. My sgs3 did.

The second part is to use tune in radio from the market. All my local stations are on there

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Can't speak to the voice and data at the same time, think I heard it did but can't swear to it.

FM radios have been irrelevant for a while now, like piizzadude said, apps like TuneIn Radio have most stations available.

Jocelyn84

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
It does neither. Roommate has the Verizon flavor and its the same as mine in respect to SVDO and FM. The S3 can do SVDO due to the Qualcomm chipset, whereas the Exynos of the GNII cannot and never will be able to. I've seen you post in the dna section as well, so it's probably worth mentioning that it also cannot do SVDO, despite using a Qualcomm.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
GN2 does SVDO on LTE.

That would be SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE). :)

SVDO is simultaneous voice and EV-DO (or CDMA 3G)

Phone Scoop has a good write up here: SVDO definition (Phone Scoop)

Simultaneous Voice and Data Only

A protocol and technical standard that allows a CDMA phone to use both voice and data networks at the same time. Specifically, when the voice network is CDMA 1xRTT and the data network is CDMA 1xEV-DO, commonly referred to as CDMA 3G.

SVDO is important because CDMA EV-DO 3G (and LTE 4G) networks were initially only built to handle data, not voice. Without SVDO, data service is unavailable during a voice call.

Not all CDMA phones support SVDO.

SVDO only applies to 3G (EV-DO) networks. A different but related standard - SVLTE - applies to 4G LTE data networks.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Can't speak to the voice and data at the same time, think I heard it did but can't swear to it.

FM radios have been irrelevant for a while now, like piizzadude said, apps like TuneIn Radio have most stations available.

Atlas,
Millions of people listen to Fm radio everyday so I believe it is very relevent.
Persnally, all of my local pro and college sports broadcasts are on FM radio. I'm sure there is some way to listen over the web but it is much easier and less expensive with free over the air radio.
Thanks for the info from you and Pizza Dude. I will check out TuneIn Radio.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
GN2 does SVDO on LTE.

Worley,
I am aware that the GN2 can do SVDO over LTE.
The question is over 3g.
I travel a lot and the reason I chose Vzw is it's superior network across the country.
But as good as the Vzw network is, it is not 100% LTE.
There are many times where I am in a 3g area or inside a building in an LTE area and only able to pull a 3g signal.
I'm constantly on conference calls and need to access data or email for the call. I want to be able to do that with my next phone as cdma will still be a big part of verizon for the next 2 years.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I would get the SGS3 then since it is critical. After 2 years advanced LTE will be rolling out and that will allow Voice and Data over LTE

pcbtmr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The User manual (Rev1.0) says "Tap the FM Radio on the applications screen." Appears to even allow recording. I need this too as I manage a LPFM station. It appears, along with many other apps that the UM lists, that this has been removed thanks to VZW. :mad:

Last edited:

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Atlas,
Millions of people listen to Fm radio everyday so I believe it is very relevent.
Persnally, all of my local pro and college sports broadcasts are on FM radio. I'm sure there is some way to listen over the web but it is much easier and less expensive with free over the air radio.
Thanks for the info from you and Pizza Dude. I will check out TuneIn Radio.

As far as phones go the FM radio is irrelevant because of apps, these days any FM station can be listened to with an app so the "radio" isn't relevant on a phone, which is what I was referring to. Wasn't saying it was irrelevant in any other way other than FM radio hardware is irrelevant on phones.

Last edited:

Megan Arlitz

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
So far, the AT&T and Sprint versions does not have the FM Radio I have went to the stores to play with the displays, I am not sure about Verizon's quite yet, I tried going to a store today to see if they had one on display and the guy said they just got theirs today. It's rediculous how much information I have in my head because of the GN2. I am $20 away from getting this phone I have been saving for the last 3 to 4 months in increment's of $20. :(

Also I liked the fact that my old phone has the FM Radio, just in case the weather was bad and the internet, cable and cell service was out, you at least had a Radio on your phone that you could listen to, with out streaming!

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
FM radio is important, what if the internet goes down during a bad storm or worse the zombie apocalypse? However I am in agreement that the lack of svdo on 3g is extremely disappointing. VZW says 2013 lte will equal 3g footprint. I think that's hard to fathom they will invest in rural areas like upper peninsula of Michigan or middle of Wyoming, I can't believe there is enough consumers to cover investment costs. Heck the GN2 IS horrible with 3g/4G hand off and no way to force 3g. My thunderbolt did a great job with this when it work! Lol
The area where I have issues is also close to the Ravenna arsenal and per verizon will never up upgraded to good lte coverage due to fcc and government regulations.

I love the gn2 it works super when in 4g, I could never go back.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

omgsrsly

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
As far as phones go the FM radio is irrelevant because of apps, these days any FM station can be listened to with an app so the "radio" isn't relevant on a phone, which is what I was referring to. Wasn't saying it was irrelevant in any other way other than FM radio hardware is irrelevant on phones.

FM radio hardware in phones is more relevant than ever now that carriers impose data usage limits. Also apps like TuneIn, which I used to love, absolutely kill battery.

Megan Arlitz

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
FM radio hardware in phones is more relevant than ever now that carriers impose data usage limits. Also apps like TuneIn, which I used to love, absolutely kill battery.

You're right, I would like not to have to have an Application that would not drain my battery over something that would drain my battery like TuneIn. I keep going into these places and there like well they have apps for that and I'm like well your'e right about that but it's streaming not a FM transmitter.

I don't know do the over seas ones have FM radios.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Either way you are using an antenna and battery. They have been killing radio antennas for a long time now. Even phones that have the overseas counterpart and all the equipment in the phone are non functional and so far no one has made them function. There are also fcc concerns.

I hate to say it, but it just isn't happening.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

John Campbell

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
While I can understand people wanting fm chips on every phone, I can't see it as necessary as people make it out to be. My truck is never so far away that I can't go to it in an emergency situation, not that I would need to as I have a job box radio that has a large removable rechargeable lithium battery that will also charge my phone etc. If you are really that concerned about emergencies to base your phone choice on direct fm connection I would think you'd also have a generator and a land line among other things.

I will say that any widespread enough emergency that would cause cell towers to fail would necessitate long range walkie talkies as well, but I'm not seeing people pushing for offline gps, ham, cb, or even the old ptt that used to work without power on their towers. Would it be nice? Sure, but it's superlative people.

If you like listening to the radio use the apps. If you are worried about emergencies your phone, at this point, no matter the choice, is not going to replace other mediums of emergency devices.

Consider getting these:
Uniden GMR1838-2CK 2013 - TopTenREVIEWS

Then you can have any phone you want, with emergency band and about 12 real miles of contact with your loved ones when shtf.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I think we are straying a little.
Not looking for an emergency FM radio but just casual listening.
I know with all the different forms of listening to music very few listen to free FM radio outside their cars, but some of us still do.
Again, my main use is sports.
Pro and college football and basketball, baseball, hockey, etc are all broadcast on FM in my area. Most sports control internet streaming rights of their broadcasts and charge a fee if available at all. Not even considering the data and battery drain of streaming compared to free over the air radio.
My T-Bolt allows me to listen to games while running, working out, at park, beach, etc.
Again, if it is a feature that is available on the phone, why cripple it?
Apparently another way for carriers to encourage more data use (why let them use free radio when they stream).
If it is true what pcbtmr indicated earlier, that FM radio is built in per user manuel, can it be enabled by root?
I have always been a stock user but I would root to get BACK some of the functions crippled by Verizon.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01