nfc wallet apps

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone

Since Verizon blocked Google wallet is there any other good nfc wallet apps?

Thanks

Verizon isn't blocking Google Wallet. You can freely download it from the market. However, it doesn't work on any carrier branded GN2 without tweaking. And even then it's hit or miss.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon isn't blocking Google Wallet. You can freely download it from the market. However, it doesn't work on any carrier branded GN2 without tweaking. And even then it's hit or miss.

maybe that is true (but it did not use to be, Verizon had it totally blocked) but they are preventing it from being used without Root and modifications. Your splitting hairs with your statement.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
maybe that is true (but it did not use to be, Verizon had it totally blocked) but they are preventing it from being used without Root and modifications. Your splitting hairs with your statement.

I'm not splitting anything, I merely stated a fact as it relates to a previous response. And since we're on the subject, Verizon wasn't previously blocking either. They have a requirement for a secure element to qualify NFC apps on their network which Google doesn't provide. Google has stated that they have never been asked by Verizon to block the app but they do prevent it from showing up in searches from within the Play Store app and from being downloaded from the web due to it not meeting Verizon requirements. The new version of wallet doesn't work on any Galaxy Note II on any carrier. I guess Verizon is responsible for that too?!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
so unless that secure element requirement is met, what is Verizon doing? Blocking Wallet from working on phones on their network.
Verizon Blocks Google Wallet on New Smartphones - WSJ.com
Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners lose Google Wallet access (update)

Verizon has decided to block its customers from installing Google's new, high-profile Wallet application on the carrier's smartphones.----CNN

Verizon's Galaxy Nexus is expected to launch in the coming weeks without Google Wallet, at the carrier's request.
The phone, which was developed by Samsung in partnership with Google, will debut with the Web giant's mobile payments system disabled by Verizon's choice, a Google spokesman told CNET, confirming a story first reported by Computerworld.
"Verizon asked us not to include this functionality in the product," a Google representative told CNET.---Cnet

How many more examples of it do you want?

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
so unless that secure element requirement is met, what is Verizon doing? Blocking Wallet from working on phones on their network.
Verizon Blocks Google Wallet on New Smartphones - WSJ.com
Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners lose Google Wallet access (update)

Verizon has decided to block its customers from installing Google's new, high-profile Wallet application on the carrier's smartphones.----CNN

Verizon's Galaxy Nexus is expected to launch in the coming weeks without Google Wallet, at the carrier's request.
The phone, which was developed by Samsung in partnership with Google, will debut with the Web giant's mobile payments system disabled by Verizon's choice, a Google spokesman told CNET, confirming a story first reported by Computerworld.
"Verizon asked us not to include this functionality in the product," a Google representative told CNET.---Cnet

How many more examples of it do you want?

I'll take what Google said on the matter over any story by a 3rd party any day. According to those same sources Android is doomed and Google+ is a ghost town.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Isis uses a secure sim card that's why the other carriers don't support it. They want to be gatekeepers to this, and they do it via the simple card. Wallet sidesteps this, so they don't support it.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Isis uses a secure sim card that's why the other carriers don't support it. They want to be gatekeepers to this, and they do it via the simple card. Wallet sidesteps this, so they don't support it.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

And they fact that at&t, Verizon and T-Mobile have invested heavily in Isis so you have to use there product if your on a carrier branded phone. This is another reason I've switched to the Nexus 4, I'm still on contract with at&t but am now able to use Google Wallet as well as receive timely updates.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The only downside is that there is going to be a split in NFC payment. I was actually disappointed that iCrap didnt have NFC this year **just** for that reason. Whatever else they are, they are a powerhouse and would get some stability going in this area. I wonder if they bailed on it this year just for that reason, to see how it all shakes out.

Personally I do not care which is used. Wallet, ISIS, whatever. I just want to be able to pay for crap with NFC.

ecs180

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
guys appreciate the research, but way off topic...all that matters is that google wallet, as downloaded from the play store, will not work on my verizon gn2

hoping to find any other app that will simply let me tap and pay using the nfc built into the phone

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
guys appreciate the research, but way off topic...all that matters is that google wallet, as downloaded from the play store, will not work on my verizon gn2

hoping to find any other app that will simply let me tap and pay using the nfc built into the phone
Same here...I don't see any other practical use for the NFC besides being a payment method.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Just going to have to wait for Isis to become a reality

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Right now it is only in two cities and on a very few devices

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Ain't u with sprint bro?? Just use Google wallet. Its getting bigger too Walgreen's and all cvs stores in Chicago accepts it now

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah i am but i do not limit myself to just snark and my own little corner of AC. I like to try and answer questions from all over the place on here. '

I have hopes for wallet, but it seems like it is going to be one those google things. Stays in beta forever then they kill it. With Sprint I do not have much choice either since as of right now there is no sim card in my SGS3

ecs180

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
a little outside the box...but i have a mastercard paypass i used to use. Can i:

-get a nfc reader to see what the paypass says when (lack of a better term) the nfc is tapped
-get some app/program that can output the same thing the paypass says?

gvalle990

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I think you and i have alot in common yes there is a way to simulate the"paypass" read and a way to create your own google wallet without a masters in engneeing . Contact me in pvt

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Same here...I don't see any other practical use for the NFC besides being a payment method.

Remember the S3 commercial where the 2 guys put the backs of their phones together and tapped something on their screens? That's one form of NFC, aka S-Beam.

Another thing you can do is buy some TecTiles (from Samsung, there also other brands that I can't think on my head right now) and you can program them. For example, you want your bluetooth and Pandora to turn on when you get into your car, activate your wifi when you get home, or silence your phone during a meeting. The possibilities are endless.

What is S Beam, and how do I use it? my samsung

Here's the video that I'm talking about:

Top 3 for NFC beyond payments

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan