Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: "SD card unexpectedly removed"

Test

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Yes this just started happening to me but it was okay until I transferred a bunch of movie and photo files from my internal card to my external SD card.

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

ROM
    GummyCharged

I have had my phone since launch day and this just started happening this week. I have a sandisk 32gb ultra class 10 card. I have factory reset as well as format the card. I even went as far as tightening the screws on the back of the phone and still no luck. Has anyone had a success fixing this?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    GummyCharged

I have also noticed that when this occurs my phone storage screen goes crazy. It has said up to 40gigs for pic and vids and we know that is not possible. Right now I have no pics or vids on my internal card and this is what it is reporting.

Should I request for a replacement?

This started happening to me as well a few days ago after working just fine for the first couple of weeks I had it.
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i feel as though this problem only comes up when u use exfat
    try fat32

Quote Originally Posted by derichio02 View Post
    I have had my phone since launch day and this just started happening this week. I have a sandisk 32gb ultra class 10 card. I have factory reset as well as format the card. I even went as far as tightening the screws on the back of the phone and still no luck. Has anyone had a success fixing this?

This. I have a quality scandisk 32gb class 10. Used with no problem for almost a month, and I just started getting the same "preparing the sd card" notification every time I wake up the phone. There is no way that everyone's SD cards are all of a sudden suffering mechanical issues. This HAS to be a software issue. I'm not going to bother with replacing or reformatting the card or anything like that as from the other responses that's not a permanent fix. Samsung needs to jump on this and fix it on the software side...
    SexiLexi08 and brook196 like this.

ROM
    GummyCharged

Quote Originally Posted by nexususer99 View Post
    This. I have a quality scandisk 32gb class 10. Used with no problem for almost a month, and I just started getting the same "preparing the sd card" notification every time I wake up the phone. There is no way that everyone's SD cards are all of a sudden suffering mechanical issues. This HAS to be a software issue. I'm not going to bother with replacing or reformatting the card or anything like that as from the other responses that's not a permanent fix. Samsung needs to jump on this and fix it on the software side...
    I have seen on a thread on xda that the culprit is actually seeming to be the sandisk cards. They use a different format (UHS-I) than many other cards. Sandisk also has weird partitioning on some of its cards. I went to Best Buy yesterday and was able to pick up a 32gb class 10 PNY card for 29.99. So far I'm on my 14th hour with no message or SD card problems. I also recall seeing a thread where sandisk admitted to be having problems with Samsung mobile devices. I am not saying who's at fault here but it does seem to be a compatibility issue.

I have seen on a thread on xda that the culprit is actually seeming to be the sandisk cards. They use a different format (UHS-I) than many other cards. Sandisk also has weird partitioning on some of its cards. I went to Best Buy yesterday and was able to pick up a 32gb class 10 PNY card for 29.99. So far I'm on my 14th hour with no message or SD card problems. I also recall seeing a thread where sandisk admitted to be having problems with Samsung mobile devices. I am not saying who's at fault here but it does seem to be a compatibility issue.

That price wasn't on sale was it? That would be a steal if so. The website shows the pny for 69.99
    Sent from my Rooted VZW Note 3

I have seen on a thread on xda that the culprit is actually seeming to be the sandisk cards.

That may be so, but what's weird is that it's happening to all of us (Sandisk card owners) at the same time.

I'm probably not alone in saying that I've had my 32GB card since I got the phone (Nov 29) and have had NO issues until recently!!

Let's hope it's a Samsung issue that gets resolved soon!!

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

uhs-1 is not a format

use mini to format your sd card as fat32/primary and you wont have any problems

I have a 64 gb sandisk class 10. So far no problems since installed on launch date. ( crosses fingers )

ROM
    GummyCharged

Correct uhs-1 is a capability. And FYI my card was fat32

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    RootBoatz

I had the same issue. It has nothing to do with the partitioning/formatting. The card is dying. Got the message for 3 days then the card is unreadable. Dead. Not recognized in pc or phone. Something is messing up the cards, either software or hardware related. I popped in a card (same brand & size) from my TF300T & no problems, been a week now. Both cards are SanDisk Xtreme 32g class 10.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Chocu1a View Post
    I had the same issue. It has nothing to do with the partitioning/formatting. The card is dying. Got the message for 3 days then the card is unreadable. Dead. Not recognized in pc or phone. Something is messing up the cards, either software or hardware related. I popped in a card (same brand & size) from my TF300T & no problems, been a week now. Both cards are SanDisk Xtreme 32g class 10.
    Thanks I'll try another Sandisk card I have and see if this is the problem.

So I swapped out my 32 gigabyte SanDisk card that I had in my note 2 with the 16 gigabyte SanDisk card and for the last 12 hours or so I've had no alerts whatsoever.

My battery ran down a lot faster than usual yesterday and I think the SD Card issue might ave been the culprit, so I ended up just pulling my card and will do without until this is resolved. I don't want to stick in a new card and have it die as well, so I'll just keep monitoring this thread and hopefully we'll see some kind of resolution shortly...

So just an update : I've had the 16gb card in for the last 2 days and no messages whatsoever. So it seems it was my 32gb card that my note didn't like!
    I guess I'll have to go to the 64gb card if I want more space! (and use my 32 for something else!)

Quote Originally Posted by jodyberry View Post
    So just an update : I've had the 16gb card in for the last 2 days and no messages whatsoever. So it seems it was my 32gb card that my note didn't like!
    I guess I'll have to go to the 64gb card if I want more space! (and use my 32 for something else!)

I've had my SanDisk 16GB card since 12/11 and all was fine until today. I got error messages similar to what's been posted. It won't recognize on my PC or phone. I was going to buy a new one (and I may still) but I won't be using until issue is resolved. No need to waste money.
    nexususer99 likes this.

My note 2 claimed a video couldn't be played from my sd card, then played it (yesterday). Then today I start getting the "unexpectedly removed....etc" error when i unlock my phone. Not every time but a couple times today. It's an ATT Note2 with a class10 Sandisk 32GB card. :/ I'll try formatting in my computer and seeing if that helps.
    Last edited by alinosa; 01-15-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki2 View Post
    I am having this problem on Day 2 of my second GN2 (first one crashed on concrete and I got a replacement phone through insurance). I'm using a SanDisk 32gb class 10 card and had no issues in my first GN2. The message has popped up three times today when waking up the phone.
    Just as an update to my original post, I haven't had any more errors since about 1/5/13. Hopefully they have made efforts to fix the error?

Well, I uninstalled several apps that were installed right before i started having problems (they were storage management apps so I thought they were relevant) and the errors stopped. I thought I was good to go. Then Last night I put my phone on the charger since it was almost dead (~20%) while I gamed a bit. I woke up the phone to see how much juice I had once I finished with my xbox and lo and behold: my sd card was being prepared again. great. because it was late I forwent re-formatting in a computer and just went to bed. I get to work without incident and 3 hours in I get "sd card blank or not formatted" and now my phone will not recognize it at all. WTF? I hope my sandisk card hasn't been trashed by my phone. I'll put it in my computer tonight and see if I can get it recognized.
    nexususer99 likes this.

mini ? (sure it'll be obvious but please "mini" what?)

Noticed in this thread to this point that no one with a 64g Sandisk card is reporting issues.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Got mine yesterday and it works fine in my Note 2.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast