Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default Re: "SD card unexpectedly removed"

Okay I gave up.. Went to bestbuy and bought a16gb sd card.... Bestbuy said my old sd card was more like for cameras and did an exchange which was cool...

The card has a lifetime warranty with Sandisk. Call customer service, print the UPS label, & weight about 7 days for it to come back. Mine is in the mail now.

I'm somebody's Daddy

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I jut recently started seeing this problem when I plug my phone into the WALL(getting suddenly removed and remounting). Has there been a fix for this yet?

I bought the SanDisk 32gb class 10 card from best buy during their Black Friday deal. My 3 month old VZW GN2 has stopped recognizing /accessing the SD card. Bummer that I'm stuck with a large capacity micro sd card that I can't use with any other device I have. Is contacting SanDisk for a free replacement worth it, or is it better to buy an alternate OEM?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jengobengo View Post
    I bought the SanDisk 32gb class 10 card from best buy during their Black Friday deal. My 3 month old VZW GN2 has stopped recognizing /accessing the SD card. Bummer that I'm stuck with a large capacity micro sd card that I can't use with any other device I have. Is contacting SanDisk for a free replacement worth it, or is it better to buy an alternate OEM?
    I
    Have you tried reformatting the card in the phone? Settings-Storage-Format SD card

I am on my second card now in my Note 2. Thought the first one was just a fluke, but just installed another and within 2 days, getting the error. First card was a Patriot 32GB class 4, second card was the SanDisk 32GB class 4. I've been working in the IT field for over 18 years and this cannot be blamed on Sandisk. It has to be Samsung. There are far too many problems with other cards. I believe the SanDisk is noted, because it is most likely the most widely used card out there. I just started researching this today, with the second failure. Further note, I just put in a generic 1GB card to see if it presents the problem as I don't wish to ruin the Sandisk. Samsung, any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Crone View Post
    I am on my second card now in my Note 2. Thought the first one was just a fluke, but just installed another and within 2 days, getting the error. First card was a Patriot 32GB class 4, second card was the SanDisk 32GB class 4. I've been working in the IT field for over 18 years and this cannot be blamed on Sandisk. It has to be Samsung. There are far too many problems with other cards. I believe the SanDisk is noted, because it is most likely the most widely used card out there. I just started researching this today, with the second failure. Further note, I just put in a generic 1GB card to see if it presents the problem as I don't wish to ruin the Sandisk. Samsung, any thoughts?
    This may be Samsung's way of getting us to buy their branded card. Probably not but has anyone bad a Samsung card fail?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Don't know if this is the fix, but I was messing with what syncs and noticed it was syncing with a few photo sites like Dropbox, Facebook and Google +. Experiment and let me know if this helps.

Ok, so it happened, but not as often and I noticed that it mostly with the home button. Going to keep checking.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Anyone having any luck? I saw some others had prpblems with my card, the 32gb micro sd by sandisk. I swapped it out for the 8gb sandisk one I had before for my last phone, not a single fail. I asked a Verizon rep (had problems with slow data but they fixed it for me) and they saod the card was likely corrupt. I still have my receopt but I bought it in September or October.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    ROM
    None, thanks to the man.

Quote Originally Posted by greencharger View Post
    I had a very similar problem for the past few weeks.. Galaxy Note N7100 with SanDisk ultra 32GB class 10.

Would show the same "Preparing SD Card" thing and then "Safe to remove." Would show up every single time I restarted the phone. Problem didn't show up until at least a month of using the phone/card. I now suspect that it was because a friend tossed the phone back to me on the bed while I was sleeping, phone bounced on the bed...which may have momentarily unseated the SD Card, thus removing it without un-mounting. After that the problem would happen every single time I restarted my phone.

Initially I got around it by first letting the phone do the scan, then restarting the phone when it showed safe to remove, and then locking the screen. It would be fine afterwards. But I eventually got frustrated as anyone would who spent so much money on getting the best equipment.

Also, the card did have folders that had been copied and renamed beginning with a "mju" character, and I eventually did start having problems even moving files from my internal memory to external.

Today I went through the forums, and did the following, which completely solved my problem (so far, so good!) and none of that "Preparing SD Card..." and "Safe to remove" rubbish shows up anymore when I start or restart my phone:

1. Backed up all my data by removing the card, and inserting directly into computer.

2. Reinserted and did a format on my phone. Format took like half a second, but I had my doubts about how little time it took the phone to wipe 22 gigs of data and format a card! (even though the "restart test" showed that it no more did the "Preparing SD Card" thing) but for good measure, I inserted the card back into my computer, did a FULL exFAT format with a 64 bit cluster size. Took almost an hour.

3. Reinserted into my phone to check. Things were somehow even faster now. And no more errors still.

4. Returned all my data to the card (took around 3 hours to return 22 gigs of data back to the newly formatted SD Card)

5. No problem whatsoever ever since.

6. For good measure, I have stuck a piece of scotch tape going over both sides of the SD Card to make it an even tighter fit inside the slot and protect against unseating the card if the phone is dropped or handled roughly. This Samsung model does seem to have an SD Card slot that doesn't feel quite as well made to me as my previous Nokia devices.

N.B: When I bought the card, I hadn't bothered with any formatting. Just slapped it into the device like I always do, but from now on, I will properly format a card as a matter of good practice before using, esp. when it's a 32G or above card.
    This approach worked for me, no problems since. Also stuck a piece of a business card in the back of the card slot for good measure.

1) Insert the micro sd card in the computer
    2) Go to DCIM folder
    3) Delete MISC folder

well there are .dropbox.device file in the MISC folder and i guess its messed up the phone and the memory
    try delete it and see whats happen
    Last edited by hellcharlotte; 04-02-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    RootBoatz

I have had 2 Sandisk 32gb class 10 micro sd cards fail in my Note 2. Switched to a Samsung 64gb class 10 & no problems in 2 months(knock on wood).

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_L View Post
    This approach worked for me, no problems since. Also stuck a piece of a business card in the back of the card slot for good measure.
    Didn't work for me, I even tried the business card thing. 32gb san disk

Quote Originally Posted by Kale Blossom View Post
    Didn't work for me, I even tried the business card thing. 32gb san disk

I've been wondering if the main causes is the dropbox file in the SD card, do u sync with dropbox btw?

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hellcharlotte View Post
    I've been wondering if the main causes is the dropbox file in the SD card, do u sync with dropbox btw?
    Yes I do! No problems with the 16gb one tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Kale Blossom View Post
    Yes I do! No problems with the 16gb one tho.

I see, well i guess its something wrong with Sandisk 32GB micro sd card with some apps in Android
    Im using Sony Xperia Acro S with Sandisk 32GB class 10 micro sd card and i was facing the same problem last time
    what i do is:
    1) Insert the micro sd card in the computer
    2) Go to DCIM folder
    3) Delete MISC folder (its contain dropbox.device file)

well not sure if that is the cause of the problem but it worked perfectly for me
    whatever it is, i guess it has something to do with Android, Sandisk 32GB, or Dropbox sync thingy

try it and let me know

I have followed the formatting method described here (transfer SD card contents to PC, format card in phone, format on PC, transfer contencts from PC back to card) and it only gave me a few days of solace. Now I am back to the crippling effects of having my SD card unavailable to me. This means, since I am using my SD card as my phones main memory for apps through installing Jelly Beans ROM and selecting the option, that many of my apps are crippled since they cannot access data from the SD card to function.

So I'd like to transfer the data from my card to my phone's memory and go back to using apps the way they would be normally (accessing phone's internal memory). Can anyone help me do this? I don't know how I would go about reversing the selection I made when installing Jelly Beans ROM to use the SD card instead of internal memory for everything (apps). I worry that copying the contents from my SD card to internal memory will not be enough to get things "back to normal".

What a pain T_T. I thought getting a fancy new phone would mean no more niggling issues like I had with my HTC Incredible (phone was rendered useless when the "insufficient memory" messages started popping up all the time).

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

My problem is I NEED dropbox for classes and to save all my stuff. I don't like most of the others ive tried (google drive being the main one, im not comfortable logging into my gmail on a school computer)

Is there anything else like dropbox that is free with a lot of space? I have a podcast that I make and a TON of images and pdfa I need to have room for but on the college budget of free.

Well im not sure if its causing by dropbox, this problem is still not solved :\

UPDATE:
    If you have experienced this 'SD card unexpectedly removed' problem,
    please go to the following defect issue, and click the star to register yourself as another user with the problem...

Also, please add this note and link to the OP to hopefully catch people when they first see this thread, and encourage them to go there and register before getting lost in this rabbit hole (i.e. a real solution might not exist outside of fixing some code somewhere within the OS itself).

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

But its a samsung phone not an lg one

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    ROM
    None, thanks to the man.

After reformatting in my phone 1.5 months ago, it worked fine, but just recently has been starting to act up again. Ugh. I think I'm going to just deal with it until there is a more official solution/fix, as nothing I've read here seems to work 100% of the time.

FWIW, I'm not syncing photos or anything with anything, and don't use dropbox.

I've finally given up and completely removed my sd card from my Galaxy Note 2. Otherwise the endless notifications will just drain the battery of my phone. What's the point of replacing the card and throwing good money after bad? I wonder if the new firmware that was just released by AT&T addresses this problem? I'm sure that the problem is Samsung's my sd card was manufactured by PNY.

My old phone was an HTC Incredible, and around 2 years after using it I got the constant "memory is full" error which crippled all Google account syncing. I could never find a reliable solution to that...This error with my Note 2 reminds me of that >_<
    Kale Blossom likes this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast