Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Quick Commands Not Working

Do you all (those with quick commands working) have swype as well as the stock Samsung Keyboard pre installed? If so I wonder if that's it...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Both the Samsung keyboard and Swype are pre installed on mine plus I have Swiftkey 3 installed.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Blows that theory. Hmmm....

I'm almost to the point to where I'm wondering if there is some issue with the S pen, even though it apparently works in every other situation.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by atlas9171 View Post
    I'm almost to the point to where I'm wondering if there is some issue with the S pen, even though it apparently works in every other situation.
    But once quick commands is open you can draw the command with your finger so I doubt it's the pen.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    But once quick commands is open you can draw the command with your finger so I doubt it's the pen.

Yeah, I'm at a loss on this one, doesn't make much sense, would think by now there would be more complaints if it was a widespread problem. It can be a bit temperamental with the symbols but it usually works for me so I have no idea at this point.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

UPDATE:

Wednesday: I stopped in a local Verizon kiosk at my mall and tried the quick commands on another Note. Worked perfectly. They said I'd have to call Customer Service to get a replacement. (Note: The employee didn't even know about the feature!) So I called Verizon (*611) and spoke with a "head tech" (whatever that means). He had no idea what was going on esp. given the factory reset I tried. He said the only option was to get a new device or try a different Gmail account (which I really don't want to move my stuff to a new one). Because the Note is an "iconic" device, they wouldn't ship me one unless I prepaid for it (then would be reimbursed when they received my "defective" phone. So I planned to pick up a new one on Thursday.

Thursday: I picked up a new one. After logging into my Gmail account during activation, I tried QC again...still no go. The employee there again had no idea about the feature, but suggested maybe I ought to try a different Gmail account. I said I would later (I had another appointment). So later, I skipped adding my Gmail account (after doing a factory reset) and BAM...Quick Commands worked! But what about my Gmail account....I added it after activation, and BAM-quick commands doesn't work again. THUS THE PROBLEM LIES WITH MY GMAIL ACCOUNT.

I want to note that I use two step authentication (through Google). Is this the problem? Do any of you use two step authentication with Gmail? I'd still love for QC to work, but do I want to sacrifice security for my main digital account to use it? (I'm going to try to post on Samsung's site about the problem).

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by SRVBluesman View Post
    UPDATE:

Wednesday: I stopped in a local Verizon kiosk at my mall and tried the quick commands on another Note. Worked perfectly. They said I'd have to call Customer Service to get a replacement. (Note: The employee didn't even know about the feature!) So I called Verizon (*611) and spoke with a "head tech" (whatever that means). He had no idea what was going on esp. given the factory reset I tried. He said the only option was to get a new device or try a different Gmail account (which I really don't want to move my stuff to a new one). Because the Note is an "iconic" device, they wouldn't ship me one unless I prepaid for it (then would be reimbursed when they received my "defective" phone. So I planned to pick up a new one on Thursday.

Thursday: I picked up a new one. After logging into my Gmail account during activation, I tried QC again...still no go. The employee there again had no idea about the feature, but suggested maybe I ought to try a different Gmail account. I said I would later (I had another appointment). So later, I skipped adding my Gmail account (after doing a factory reset) and BAM...Quick Commands worked! But what about my Gmail account....I added it after activation, and BAM-quick commands doesn't work again. THUS THE PROBLEM LIES WITH MY GMAIL ACCOUNT.

I want to note that I use two step authentication (through Google). Is this the problem? Do any of you use two step authentication with Gmail? I'd still love for QC to work, but do I want to sacrifice security for my main digital account to use it? (I'm going to try to post on Samsung's site about the problem).
    That's crazy that your account is effecting the commands. Let's see what samsung says about it

If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

I'm on with chat now...(Samsung)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Samsung chat was pretty useless. They want me to isolate the issue by trying another gmail account. I may try it later (without authentication). Any ideas on how to easily switch gmail accounts if this indeed fixes it?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Is anyone using two step authentication and has working quick commands?

hmm,I was having an issue with the Command figured It was a software issue, so I left it alone waiting for an update, until I came across this thread and decided to check it again. It now seems to be working fine but I updated to google + trying to fix the Gmail hang up and just updated Gmail as well and both are now working quite well. Whether you are into google + I cant say but try it, it may help you out. Try updating Gmail first.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

All may apps are up to date. Do you use two step authentication?

I am using two step authentication and most everything seems to work. I did notice that when I created a custom quick command for Gmail that it recognizes the command but when it goes to launch Gmail it never opens. All my other custom quick commands work.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Is anyone using two step authentication and has working quick commands?

Shouldn't be 2 step authentication since I use it and it's worked fine since I tried it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Well it's gotten murkier folks...I did yet another factory reset. This time, I tried a different gmail account that has 2 step authentication as well. Guess what? Quick commands worked. So I tried adding my regular gmail (the one giving me fits)-and lo and behold, quick commands stopped working. What would cause this specific gmail account to make quick commands stop working? I've chatted with Samsung (online) and they have no idea. They want me to call voice support. I may tomorrow morning. THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! Also Sammy tried to say that email is not required for quick commands to work (duh). But I've eliminated options and it certainly is a specific email account causing problems. There's another gentlemen on XDA with the same issue as well.

Can you change your authentication protocol and try it then?

Mine is working fine.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Markster1 do you mean turn off two step authentication? Or is there another way to "change" it?

Turn off two step to find out if that is the cause.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

Markster1 do you mean turn off two step authentication? Or is there another way to "change" it?
    Yeah like Markster1 said, turn off 2 step on the account causing issues and see what happens, if that doesn't solve the problem compare the settings on both accounts to see if there might be something different that could be causing the issue. Samsung is probably right, shouldn't be causing an issue but something is obviously amiss if it works when the one account is active and the other isn't.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

I turned off 2 step authentication. No go. Still doesn't work. What other settings would I even check in my google account?

Btw, I am having the same problem. Ready to throw the phone against the wall. Suspected it was a Gmail thing.

Will monitor this thread. God speed SRV...

Having a similar problem too. Most of my quick commands work, but I changed the @ command to open Gmail composer rather than my phone's stock email app (I'm using a Galaxy Note II) and it's not working. It says "jumping to the gmail composer" but then quick command just closes and nothing happens.

I'd thought maybe it was because I have two gmail accounts synced on my phone, so maybe quick commands was confused and didn't know which to open. However I've tried unsyncing one of the accounts, then restarting my phone, but the same thing still happens.

Let me know if you guys figure any of it out. Thanks

I have the same issue and the bug is repeatable: add my google account and quick commands breaks. Specifically, it appears to be syncing of contacts that breaks things. If I select everything else on the account sync page other than contacts and add the account quick commands works; I add in contacts and it breaks. Removing the account gets quick commands working again.

For me when it's broken, the behavior is that I can launch the app successfully but when I try to enter a command the screen becomes unresponsive for several seconds and the app FC's.

I've emailed Samsung support but am not holding my breath. Will post back here if I hear anything.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

Oaktowndos,

I can replicate the issue that you are having with one exception. When I disabled sync of contacts (the gmail that is causing problems as I described above), QUICK COMMANDS WORKS! The strange thing is if I reselect sync IT STILL WORKS! There must be some issue when the contacts are initially syncing when adding the account that is causing the problems. I imagine QC is trying to access the contacts and something goes wonky for some gmail accounts.

Like I said, QC now works flawlessly! All I did to fix it was disable contact sync and then a few minutes later reenable. All is well!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast