Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Up for an upgrade. Leaning to Note 2. Just seems fun. My biggest struggle is whether to pay full freight; take the upgrade and lose unlimited; or wait and buy a refurbished S3 and save some $$$. Either way I also need to learn to root because being 6 months behind on the latest software with Verizon just sucks.

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

I bought both the DNA and Note 2 and will be keeping both. Some days I feel like using the DNA, other days the Note 2.

I do find myself using the Note a little more. It's more of a pain in the *** to carry around than the DNA but at the same time lends itself to getting more things done because of the larger screen. The Note 2's battery life is simply amazing, I've never experienced an Android device that can last the way this one does.

Basically if I'm going to be gone all day doing things, or working, I want the Note 2. However, If I'm going to a concert or a date or a show, etc., I want the DNA with it's sleek design and sharp *** screen. It's easy to carry, fast as hell and beautiful.

I actually find having them both to be the best of both worlds.
    "Greetings, people. Greetings. Greetings and salutations. What a beautiful day for a ball game. Let's play two!"
    aaronbuescher likes this.

Never used the DNA but I know now that I would have a hard time using a different phone. All the features are amazing, I use the s-pen all the time and the multitasking for writing essays and researching at the same time. My next phone will the the note 3 and I probably won't even consider another phone. Same with the note 2 I wouldn't even consider another phone.
    aaronbuescher likes this.

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

This is posted in the Note 2 forum, so it's not exactly unbiased, and I fully expect the hate I'm about to receive. But for me, it's the DNA hands down. Here's why:
    1. The screen is better. I agree that 440 PPI is overkill, but that doesn't stop it from looking absolutely fantastic regardless. I've always been a huge SAMOLED fan but Samsung's fallen behind the curve on this one.

2. Form factor plays a big role. I want a phone that is comfortable to hold and use on a daily basis. Despite its size, the DNA feels like a phone and is very comfortable for daily use. It's sleek and attractive, and many people have commented on it. The Note 2 does not, and is not. It dominates my pocket, my hand, and my face (if you're brave enough to hold this thing up to your head). It requires me to stretch to reach the other side of the screen. It doesn't feel like a phone, it feels like a mini-tablet that makes calls. Well, I already have a 10.1" tablet and a 7" tablet, I just don't feel like I need a 5.5" one as well.

3. The S-Pen is cool but gimmicky; it's a feature I can't see myself using regularly. Non-starter.

4. Battery life was my biggest concern when getting the DNA. I was fully ready to return it if it was a problem. Shockingly enough, it's not. In fact, I'm rather impressed by what the DNA can accomplish: 15-20 hours on wi-fi with a solid 5-6 hours of screen time. Is it going to set records? No. Is it as good as the Note 2? Nope. Do I wish it were removable? Of course. But when the time comes to replace the battery, I have no qualms about cracking it open to replace it myself. I'd consider it neutral.

5. Storage space... yeah, that one's a bummer. But I stream most of my media, and ~11GB is enough space with some reshuffling. It's not a deal breaker for me, though I can understand how it could be for some.

Basically, I don't think you can compare these two phones because they aren't really two phones. It's a phone and a phablet. So if you want a phone, get the DNA, which is clearly the best phone on the market. If you want a phablet, get the Note 2, clearly the best phablet on the market. But they serve different purposes entirely. Just because they're both really big doesn't mean they're the same product.
    revtech and 8100User like this.

I went with note2. HTC screwed me once with battery on Thunderbolt, no way I was getting another HTC with lackluster battery. So far very happy. Battery rocks all day with heavy use and superfast software.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I am on AT&T, so I don't have the chance to choose between the Note 2 and the DNA, but I do have the choice between the Note 2 and the HTC OneX+ which other than the 1080p screen is the same as the DNA, but the OneX+ has 64gb of internal storage. I still will be going for the Note 2. I don't think I will ever buy another device from HTC. They can make some great hardware and the DNA is a great example of that, but I have yet to see an HTC device that they didn't skimp on something. It used to be the camera or the speakers, now they want to skimp on the mSD slot and user replaceable battery. Do they think that copying the worst things about the iPhone will magically bring them back to profitability? At least Apple gives people the choice of 16, 32, or 64gb sizes, even if they do charge a ridiculous $100 to go from 16gb to 32gb.

I will be getting the Note 2 and I'm eligible right now, but I'm going to wait until the holiday shopping season is over to see if Samsung actually comes out with what they said when they first introduced the Note 2 and offer it in 32gb, and 64gb sizes. If they don't, I will likely buy the 32gb international version. I could probably get by with the 16gb one because I will be putting a 64gb card in it, but If I do run out of internal storage I would rather not have to hack the phone so it sees the card as the internal storage.

I have a Note 2 (after selling my S3 and Nexus 7) and my roommate just got a DNA and while the screen on the DNA is undeniably better and I wish I had that screen on the Note 2. That single feature that distinguishes the DNA from other high-end Android devices is not enough to make me choose it over the dozens of unique features of the Note 2.

For some the Note 2 will simply be too large, understandable. But for those that have the hands to comfortable hold the Note 2 I don't think it's much of a contest which phone is better overall.

If HTC releases a 5.4"+ screen phone based on the DNA with an integrated stylus and software for that stylus then the choice would be more difficult.

Oh and the S-Pen IS NOT a gimmick. I use it all the time, I actually find myself using my phone with the stylus more than I use my fingers. I even write out text messages with the stylus by habit many times.
    karsdroid likes this.

People who are concerned about PPI difference should read this artcile - 1080p on a smartphone screen—can it possibly matter? | Ars Technica

1] For most people, though, it won't matter. Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won’t matter whether they’re viewed on a 1920×1080 or 1280×720 smartphone display; you’ll still see their imperfections. Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel. The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display. Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn’t zero in on content that’s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920×1080 is really not going to make a visual difference.

2] Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content—that is, the user interface, buttons, and text.

3] The human eye can't resolve anything higher than 229 PPI at 15" or greater.

I'm sorry but I can't understand HTC's thought process.First they release the One X,which is a very nice device except for it's short battery life and cramped 16 GB of onboard storage w/o SD card support. Next they rollout the One X+ which seeks to correct the X's acknowledged shortcomings by increasing the battery size and upping the storage to 64 GB. Then they turn around and release the DNA which suffers from the same limitations as the original One X. Why is HTC going backward?
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"
    Thanked by:
    dubi42 

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by experiment626 View Post
    I'm sorry but I can't understand HTC's thought process.First they release the One X,which is a very nice device except for it's short battery life and cramped 16 GB of onboard storage w/o SD card support. Next they rollout the One X+ which seeks to correct the X's acknowledged shortcomings by increasing the battery size and upping the storage to 64 GB. Then they turn around and release the DNA which suffers from the same limitations as the original One X. Why is HTC going backward?
    DNA+ make people buy the same phone twice
    Thanked by:
    dubi42 
    dubi42 likes this.

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post
    DNA+ make people buy the same phone twice
    Yep, Motorola does the same thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

I don't think I'll ever buy an HTC phone again. After the Thunderbolt's atrocious battery life, I read a survey done by HTC that customers prefer thinner phones over longer battery life. Something is wrong with HTC's operations. They simply don't think battery life is important to users at this point.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

I saw the DNA in person yesterday one of my coworkers has it but honestly besides the screen what's so special and by may the same phone will be released with 32gb and a slightly bigger battery

Quote Originally Posted by rd_nest View Post
    People who are concerned about PPI difference should read this artcile - 1080p on a smartphone screen—can it possibly matter? | Ars Technica

1] For most people, though, it won't matter. Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won’t matter whether they’re viewed on a 1920×1080 or 1280×720 smartphone display; you’ll still see their imperfections. Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel. The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display. Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn’t zero in on content that’s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920×1080 is really not going to make a visual difference.

2] Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content—that is, the user interface, buttons, and text.

3] The human eye can't resolve anything higher than 229 PPI at 15" or greater.
    I just want to mention that 1920x1080 on a 5" screen will probably be very hard to read when mounted on your car's dashboard. The streets in Maps, for example.

HTC batteries are historically bad from my experience and they lose capacity quite quickly.

I used to get about 8 hours from my evo after I stopped using it constantly but after just one year can't get more than 2 hours out of it.

The charging port died (which is quite common in HTC phones from experience)

The battery back was poorly made. It was kinda stiff, which made it break but at least samsung made theirs flexible to prevent that problem.

The thunderbolt had the same issues but I've only been selling phones about 3 weeks for Verizon and I've already upgraded 17 people with thunderbolts that the touch screen died on the right side.

Did a trade in on a one x that had the charging port DIE and the customer said HTC refused to fix it. Reason number 29942645524841558 why ALL phones should come with a removable battery.
    Did a few rebounds with bad batteries, a one s that didn't respond to buttons, nope I'd never touch another HTC phone unless they fixed their hardware.

I laugh inside when people say HTC has better build quality than samsung because they really don't. Build quality isn't what the phone is composed of, it's how well the phone is made and whether or not it will last.

While I used to hate samsung phones my hate for the was software related but never had a hardware issue.

Droid DNA isn't even in the notes league.

Smarten up htc

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

I think its an easy decision. You guys pretty much nailed out the key points, the dna doesn't have a sd card, or removable battery and that's a deal breaker. I also love my galaxy s3 and its going to be an easy change to get the note 2. I can't wait!
    Thanked by:
    dubi42 
    dubi42 likes this.

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

I have them both and I went back and forth for a week, to be honest I love both phones but they do offer different functionality so its not really an apples to apples comparison. I feel as if the DNA is the best "phone" Verizon has to offer, with the S3 and the Maxx HD really great as well. The DNA I had was extremely smooth, had great feel in the hand but there was quirky HTC software mods that just irked me and the battery life was worse than my S3 prior (no one is going to go backwards with battery life with a new device- HTC doesn't get that). Then I got the Note 2 and there is a different kind of smoothness with TW and for some unknown reason the Note 2 screen pulls you into what your doing, you feel more connected to the phone. Even though the dpi isn't as great as the DNA, the Note 2 colors are better. Then the battery life is just insane on the Note 2. Eventually I made the decision to stick with the Note 2, I just seem happier with it. This is great product with an awesome ROM, will never need rooting and will do whatever you throw at it. Then you have the S Pen....need I say more.

Note 2 is the phone for Christmas through 2013............. I Love Mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Roman View Post
    I went with note2. HTC screwed me once with battery on Thunderbolt, no way I was getting another HTC with lackluster battery. So far very happy. Battery rocks all day with heavy use and superfast software.
    Here here man, couldn't agree more. I'm a Thunderbolt user myself and that whole experience made me feel really irritated with HTC. Likely my last product from them for good.

Now about all the people tossing around the screen differences of the Note 2 to the DNA. Please stop with the PPI marketing hoopla. The Note 2 has a 267 ppi and the DNA has what, 440 ppi? Yeah on paper that sounds insane but in reality you are forcing the DNA to render significantly more pixels that guess what? Your eyes will NEVER discern a difference between the 2. It's just not natural or possible for us to see the pixels with our naked eyes.

Here's a little test. Look at your computer monitor, let's say you have a 1080p 24" monitor. That's a whopping 96 ppi! Oh boy! And that 63" 1080p LCD TV? Guess what that is! 35 ppi! Wow!

I bet you DNA screen lovers and pixel divers must really hate being able to see those pixels on your big screen while sitting back on your couch!
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    gafly, Jocelyn84 and dubi42 like this.

ballin'

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrz5024 View Post
    But when the time comes to replace the battery, I have no qualms about cracking it open to replace it myself.
    You do realize that what you're talking about will be next to impossible, right?

it seems you have conformed to the HTC's shortcomings instead of the phone being able to do what you need done ( note 2 ).
    Quote Originally Posted by jrz5024 View Post
    This is posted in the Note 2 forum, so it's not exactly unbiased, and I fully expect the hate I'm about to receive. But for me, it's the DNA hands down. Here's why:
    1. The screen is better. I agree that 440 PPI is overkill, but that doesn't stop it from looking absolutely fantastic regardless. I've always been a huge SAMOLED fan but Samsung's fallen behind the curve on this one.

2. Form factor plays a big role. I want a phone that is comfortable to hold and use on a daily basis. Despite its size, the DNA feels like a phone and is very comfortable for daily use. It's sleek and attractive, and many people have commented on it. The Note 2 does not, and is not. It dominates my pocket, my hand, and my face (if you're brave enough to hold this thing up to your head). It requires me to stretch to reach the other side of the screen. It doesn't feel like a phone, it feels like a mini-tablet that makes calls. Well, I already have a 10.1" tablet and a 7" tablet, I just don't feel like I need a 5.5" one as well.

3. The S-Pen is cool but gimmicky; it's a feature I can't see myself using regularly. Non-starter.

4. Battery life was my biggest concern when getting the DNA. I was fully ready to return it if it was a problem. Shockingly enough, it's not. In fact, I'm rather impressed by what the DNA can accomplish: 15-20 hours on wi-fi with a solid 5-6 hours of screen time. Is it going to set records? No. Is it as good as the Note 2? Nope. Do I wish it were removable? Of course. But when the time comes to replace the battery, I have no qualms about cracking it open to replace it myself. I'd consider it neutral.

5. Storage space... yeah, that one's a bummer. But I stream most of my media, and ~11GB is enough space with some reshuffling. It's not a deal breaker for me, though I can understand how it could be for some.

Basically, I don't think you can compare these two phones because they aren't really two phones. It's a phone and a phablet. So if you want a phone, get the DNA, which is clearly the best phone on the market. If you want a phablet, get the Note 2, clearly the best phablet on the market. But they serve different purposes entirely. Just because they're both really big doesn't mean they're the same product.
    Thanked by:
    dubi42 
    dubi42 likes this.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

I don't even see how this is a reasonable comparison. The Note 2 is an entirely different class of device, and while its not my cup of tea, I can see how those who love it couldn't imagine using a 'normal' phone, and respect Samsung for taking the risk to invent this class of device.
    The real comparison is between the DNA and the Maxx HD. Do you prefer the Maxx and its killer battery life, expandable memory, better radios and stock+ UI, or would you give that up in exchange for the DNA's killer screen, better processor, superior camera, and Sense UI. Throw the S3 and iP5 into the mix and this is clearly the golden age of phones on Verizon. The only top phone they are missing right now is the Nokia 920, but even there the 8X is a very worthy substitute.
    Last edited by oscarnyc; 12-05-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    ptm88, cellomj and Rizz1-2 like this.

Global Posts
    855 Global Posts

The Note II is 0.5 inches larger than the DNA. The DNA is 0.3 inches larger than the Maxx HD. If you can compare the Maxx and the DNA, you can compare the Note to the DNA

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle
    Jocelyn84 likes this.

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer1kdaddy View Post
    it seems you have conformed to the HTC's shortcomings instead of the phone being able to do what you need done ( note 2 ).
    The only shortcoming I've acknowledged is the lack of SD card. Which, in my opinion, is more than balanced out by the better screen, more appealing form factor, and stronger radios.
    revtech likes this.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast