Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Quote Originally Posted by nisxan View Post
    You do realize that what you're talking about will be next to impossible, right?
    Not sure why you'd think so. I've replaced batteries on numerous sealed devices before, including iPods and iPhones. How do you think repair centers do it?
    revtech likes this.

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

I swear android fans are reminding me more and more of iOS fans.

No sd card and non-replaceable batteries to make a phone "look better" were some of the iphone's drawbacks, and iOS fans gobbled up whatever apple told them to, but android fans were always talking about how those are negatives no matter how you spin it. (rightfully so) and having an option to do something is ALWAYS better than not having the option, but now android fans are making the same excuses.

Function over aesthetics people!

If it looks good its a plus but don't take away function to make it LOOK GOOD

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    scorpiodsu and Synycalwon like this.

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    I swear android fans are reminding me more and more of iOS fans.

No sd card and non-replaceable batteries to make a phone "look better" were some of the iphone's drawbacks, and iOS fans gobbled up whatever apple told them to, but android fans were always talking about how those are negatives no matter how you spin it. (rightfully so) and having an option to do something is ALWAYS better than not having the option, but now android fans are making the same excuses.

Function over aesthetics people!

If it looks good its a plus but don't take away function to make it LOOK GOOD

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Isn't purchasing the DNA an option? There are so many devices right now that I don't think the Droid Does moniker need to apply to one device.

I had the option to keep using my GNex as a daily driver. I had the option to buy the DRMHD, I had the option to by the HN2, I had the option to buy the Droid 4 or Stratosphere 2. Hell, I still have the option to buy a Droid Charge!

These options are what make Android unique from iOS and WP8. Unfortunately,the Droid Does ads definitely made it sound like that all of these options had to be in one device. Man, am I glad that's not the case...that would be one ugly and heavy device!

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

I would like to thank everyone. I returned my Droid DNA tonight for Note 2 and so far I am loving it (my daughter is too lol). Plus when I returned it to Best Buy they gave me a straight across trade, so they didn't charge me the extra 100 dollars. XD
    Thanked by 2:
    The Hustleman and leroybrute like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #80  

Day 1-- This is going to be more difficult than I thought....

My first day of touting two of Verizon Wirelessí best devices started early at 7 a.m., and the challenge has already begun. Before I jump into the shower I place both devices on the shelf and hit playóI listen to music to keep myself from falling asleep while getting ready. The winner here was clearly the Note 2óvolume is loud and distortion is minimal, with rich tones and deep bass. The DNA, despite its amplified rear speaker, remains just a hair too quiet for comfortable listening.

Iím off. I head to the subway station, which as New Yorkers know (and often regret) is just far enough underground to avoid most cellular reception. This poses a problem for the DNAówithout removable storage, my music choices are limited to Rdio and Google Music, as I tend to be stingy with my internal storage. Sure, I could sync a playlist or two, but why not just switch over to the Note 2? Itís microSD card has been with me for years, and contains an extensive library of my favorite music. Samsungís phablet, thanks to its removable storage, wins another round.

Thirty minutes later, Iím back above ground. Before I head into my office, I stop for a coffee at the cart on the corner. As Iím drinking and walking, I notice an email that I want to respond to before it slips my mind. I begin to compose and realize that this is a daily occurance, and itís a situation that can only be handled by one of these phones. The Note 2ís 5.5-inch whopper of a screen is simply too big to compose a message single handed. Iím not talking about comfort or convenience hereóthe task is absolutely impossible, even for a semi-large handed individual like myself. The DNA, on the other hand, strikes a perfect balance of size and usability, and Iím able to type my email comfortably with one hand. The DNA comes from behind.

I spend the next few hours at my desk, where my phone(s) sit idle with the exception of a few text messages. During this downtime, both devices conserved power admirably, yet the DNA outpaced the Note 2 by a few notches; after a few hours of little to no usage, the Note 2 lost about six percent of its battery, while the DNA lost just one. Iíve noticed this stellar performance consistently during my time with the DNA, and I can comfortably say that this phone goes stone cold in standby, a testament to the Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and HTCís optimizations.

The long day is coming to a close, and I head out on my nightly walk home (I try to keep my time underground to a minimum). This time, thanks to the uninterrupted data connection, the DNA is the better music player, as the built-in Beats audio produced sound that is noticeably more detailed and deep than the Note 2ís. A lot of critics deny the benefits of Beats, and it is admittedly a matter of personal preference, but for me, it outperforms the competition.

And just like that, the day is over and Iím no closer to a decision. All of a sudden, I remember the last time I was in this predicament; it was the HTC Thunderbolt vs. the Droid X, and I was just as torn. But for the first time ever, Verizon Wireless customers like myself will have a hard time deciding where their money will go due to an overabundance of quality devices rather than a shortage. Itís going to be a confusing and conflicted few days.

Stay tuned.
    Thanked by 3:
    JediJesus95 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post
    DNA+ make people buy the same phone twice
    Like Microsoft did with windows 98 & 98SE

All M$ did was resell a patched OS (SE) that any win 98 user could have patched themselves thru windows update. It was literally the same OS sold twice.

Quote Originally Posted by jrz5024 View Post
    Not sure why you'd think so. I've replaced batteries on numerous sealed devices before, including iPods and iPhones. How do you think repair centers do it?
    Because, as I understand it, the battery is sandwiched between the screen and the board. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Phil noted at the very beginning that replacing the battery in this thing would be a b*tch.

Isn't that how htc was able to achieve the tapered edge design? I think I read that somewhere as well.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nisxan View Post
    Because, as I understand it, the battery is sandwiched between the screen and the board. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Phil noted at the very beginning that replacing the battery in this thing would be a b*tch.
    Right, but I think you may have missed his point . . when you send it to a repair center to have it replaced SOMEBODY has to do the work, it isn't magic or done by a robot; so what Phil is saying is that for the average person this is not doable, but apparently jrz5024 *has* the skill/tools and so for him it *is* doable.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    and yes any company that would make a phone or tablet ....without a removable battery and/or expandable memory is crazy.....
    Yea, I doubt that company... what's it called?

Some fruit... doubt it'll survive.

Default Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Quote Originally Posted by shel View Post
    Yea, I doubt that company... what's it called?

Some fruit... doubt it'll survive.
    Oh you mean Google? A lot of people like to slam Apple on these forums but the very thing people complain about and bash Apple about are things that Google is following suit on.

Every nexus device comes with a certain amount of storage and no sd card slot as well as no removable battery. I wouldn't be surprised if you see almost all future devices going the way of no expandable storage as well. Google ended support of SD cards with Jelly Bean for a reason.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I think the inability of one handed operation on the Note 2 is WAY overstated. I am composing this message one handed with full keyboard and there are minimal issues & I do not have large hands by any means. I am not trying to say it's better than using 2 hands, or as comfortable to do as using a smaller phone, but one handed operation is not that difficult!
    (Man my arm is tired now. ..)

Sent from the unparalleled Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
    Oh you mean Google? A lot of people like to slam Apple on these forums but the very thing people complain about and bash Apple about are things that Google is following suit on.

Every nexus device comes with a certain amount of storage and no sd card slot as well as no removable battery. I wouldn't be surprised if you see almost all future devices going the way of no expandable storage as well. Google ended support of SD cards with Jelly Bean for a reason.
    Just like they tried making hardware buttons a thing of the past too?

Yeah that worked out well. Not.

Phone manufacturers decide what goes and stays in their phones. If they see a consumer base that demands removeable batteries and SD Cards, they will continue making it an option because they know it sells.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Default Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Just like they tried making hardware buttons a thing of the past too?

Yeah that worked out well. Not.

Phone manufacturers decide what goes and stays in their phones. If they see a consumer base that demands removeable batteries and SD Cards, they will continue making it an option because they know it sells.
    Yeah the manufacturers do decide but if google wont support it, it would be kind of pointless. The SD card slots are going to be gone completely eventually. Now that may translate to more on board storage in phones but regardless I think in the next couple years or so SD card slots on android phones are going to be a thing of the past.

Now the removable battery thing I think Samsung will stick with for a while. That is one of Samsung's most popular features and I don't really see a need to get away from that other than to make their phones thinner.

The way I see it is the HTC DNA, Samsung GSIII and Moto Razr (Maxx) are comparable. They are all similar in physical size, function and intended use. All 3 are very similar in width and height.

The only comparable device from a physical size, function and use standpoint to the Note II is the LG Intuition. Now don't get me wrong the LG Intuition does have a leg to stand on against the Note II but it is the only comparable device. The Note II is 10 mm bigger on each side (height and width) than the DNA while the Intuition is 20 mm wider than the DNA.

I really don't think screen size matters much when physical sizes are similar. Overall size (especially width) in my opinion is really what differentiates a phone from a phablet.

DNA - 141 x 70.5 x 9.73 4.86 oz
    GSIII - 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 4.7 oz
    Maxx HD 131.9 x 67.9 x 9.3 5.5 oz
    Note II 151.1 x 80.5 x 9.4 6.3 oz includes a pen
    Intuition 139.6 x 90.4 x 8.5 5.9 oz includes a pen

I end up getting the HTC DNA. It's more comfortable to hold and pocket. Plus the LCD screen is so beautiful to look at with the pure white background in webpages compare to samsung's amoled color. Although I wish it had more memory. Guess I have to use cloud storage. Besides I kept my unlimited data.
    I was thinking of getting the gs3 to replace my LG spectrum because I needed something snappier with less lag, but even the LG's hd display looks better than samsung's. Glad I got the HTC DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by MiXoLoGiSt View Post
    Yeah the manufacturers do decide but if google wont support it, it would be kind of pointless. The SD card slots are going to be gone completely eventually. Now that may translate to more on board storage in phones but regardless I think in the next couple years or so SD card slots on android phones are going to be a thing of the past.

Now the removable battery thing I think Samsung will stick with for a while. That is one of Samsung's most popular features and I don't really see a need to get away from that other than to make their phones thinner.
    The very fact that with I believe Android 4.0 we have support for OTG cables and thumb drives/portable hard drives, is contradictory to your idea that Google will pull all support for external storage capabilities. It is a definitive part of the operating system and it will not go away, ever.

Also supporting this theory is the transition from unlimited data plans that many carriers are going through right now. With a cap on your ability to pull data while out away from a Wifi connection, the need for baseline storage capacity will only grow. Sure they might start selling phones with the typical 32GB or 64GB models, but there will still be a demand for more storage while out and about. This is where SD Cards and OTG thumb drives etc will be a requirement and Google will not gut such a basic functionality of an OS out just because they don't like people opening their phones once in awhile.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

ROM
    Stock (For now)

The biggest drawback to the DNA, for me, is the maker. As a Thunderbolt owner I have nothing but animosity for HTC. I feel as though I was treated badly by the company. That being said, even if I try and overlook that, having a non-replaceable battery (hello TBolt battery issues) and no microSD is just a deal breaker to me.

If these phones were $100 and we didn't have to fork over our first-born if we wanted to upgrade or move on before the contracted 2years is up it would be a different story as well.
    Thanked by:
    The Hustleman likes this.

ROM
    Stock (For now)

Besides I kept my unlimited data.
    don't you keep your unlimited data no matter the phone you get?
    Last edited by EricWiz; 12-06-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add quote

Quote Originally Posted by EricWiz View Post
    don't you keep your unlimited data no matter the phone you get?
    No Verizon has discontinued the unlimited plan and is not grandfathering upgrade customers. If you use an upgrade you will have to select a tiered data rate. If you buy the phone for retail and replace your existing phone with it then you can keep unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Goldpenny View Post
    Yeah.....you're a moron. The reason they have non removable batteries is to MAKE it thinner. And ummm *****, idk if you noticed but all google tablets like the nexus 7 and the transformer prime infinity ( which I happen to be using currently) all have ports for the micro sd. It's portable removeable storage, the ability to transfer data from phone to tablet to pc without having to buy, build or download a tether of any kind isn't going anywhere. And since you're really thick skulled here's some info, the reason they build phones with non removable batteries is so that when the battery goes you can't just buy a new battery of amazon for 3 bucks. You need to replace the phone, and if you dont have their insurance which they slam down your throat into your lower intestine, then you either buy a new phone or jump through hoops to get them to admit it was a manufacturer defect. Witch is still good for them since the inventory counts as another phone sold and the manufacturer foots the bill. But you go ahead and keep living in fantasy land where no one likes to keep their data and Verizon doesn't charge you over a thousand dollars a year for crappy service.
    Two posts here and you're already bashing people and name calling. Cut it out. Learn some manners.

- Mark
    Thanked by 2:

Well i believe you're a . No sd, no sim, no removable battery. Thanks tho, try again moron.
    Third post. All with some form of harassment / name calling. Reported to moderators.

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts

Can somebody get a mod and get rid of this butthead?

Sorry marky, is there a number of posts i have to make before i can call people names?
    Nope. I would have reported your violation no matter when you started it. We don't behave that way here, so just stop. Try to actually be a useful, well-behaved contributor maybe. You will build no credibility here -- and thus convince nobody of your opinion -- if you can't be a gentleman along the way. You just sound like an immature wretch right now.

My manners are fine,
    No they aren't.

If you're offended by letters... well you need to asses your life.
    And you need to learn to spell.

- Mark

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    Can somebody get a mod and get rid of this butthead?
    I have reported one violation already and will continue as-needed. Not that I have any authority, but that's what the "Report Post" button is for after all.

- Mark
    Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks for the heads up on this one guys. Exactly why we have the report post feature.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by 3:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast