Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Regarding durability, this goes back into the samsung plastic argument. You really cant beat the plastic on the note for being durable. On top of that if you scratch the back, a new battery cover for the S3 was $5 so it couldnt be much more for the note. Cant put a new back on the dna...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    The Hustleman and gafly like this.

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Regarding durability, this goes back into the samsung plastic argument. You really cant beat the plastic on the note for being durable. On top of that if you scratch the back, a new battery cover for the S3 was $5 so it couldnt be much more for the note. Cant put a new back on the dna...

They are 13.99 because of the NFC antenna built in.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Ah, well still much cheaper than, well, ypu cant replace the back of the dna if you mess it up.

4G LTE Thunderbolt
    leroybrute and collett like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post

Beyond the back cover, the added drawback is the irreplaceable battery on the DNA.

I stopped off at the Verizon store yesterday to look at the Note II and also a second look at the DNA. I was able to type with one hand, but not the easiest thing to do. And Ironically I did not mind the Titanium color, much better that the cheap looking white. I liked the ability to have handwritten notes with the S Pen. I have to say I am leaning towards the Note II...

And by the way there are already Note II cases out from my fav. case store SEIDIO. DNA cases still under development.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

I have been using the note 2 over the last week and man it is a powerhouse. The battery life is insane and I am a really heavy user. I had the DNA before and would have to have it on a charger at least once during the day.

DvineMzM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jbyinc View Post
    Beyond the back cover, the added drawback is the irreplaceable battery on the DNA.

I stopped off at the Verizon store yesterday to look at the Note II and also a second look at the DNA. I was able to type with one hand, but not the easiest thing to do. And Ironically I did not mind the Titanium color, much better that the cheap looking white. I liked the ability to have handwritten notes with the S Pen. I have to say I am leaning towards the Note II...

And by the way there are already Note II cases out from my fav. case store SEIDIO. DNA cases still under development.
    You know, if you can scan the Web for DNA vs. Note 2 discussions (and there are many of them), you'll see a common trend emerging: many people have mentioned returning a DNA for a Note, but very few, if any, seem to be trading in their Notes for DNAs. It's just such a well-rounded device..there really aren't any compromises to "get used to," assuming you like the size in the first place.

And, yes, I also think the "titanium-grey" models look pretty nice. They have a much more serious and premium look than the white models..to my eye anyway.

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Mco119 View Post
    You know, if you can scan the Web for DNA vs. Note 2 discussions (and there are many of them), you'll see a common trend emerging: many people have mentioned returning a DNA for a Note, but very few, if any, seem to be trading in their Notes for DNAs.
    Sooks, you around?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    revtech likes this.

Global Posts
    10,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mco119 View Post
    You know, if you can scan the Web for DNA vs. Note 2 discussions (and there are many of them), you'll see a common trend emerging: many people have mentioned returning a DNA for a Note, but very few, if any, seem to be trading in their Notes for DNAs. It's just such a well-rounded device..there really aren't any compromises to "get used to," assuming you like the size in the first place.

And, yes, I also think the "titanium-grey" models look pretty nice. They have a much more serious and premium look than the white models..to my eye anyway.
    Agreed...exept my white phone killed your gray phone...ha ha

I do not know what this means

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Agreed...exept my white phone killed your gray phone...ha ha
    Ha. Lies. Your flashy and trendy pimp phone at best only equals my classy and professional grey phone. Haha.

Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Just received my Note 2. No regrets. So glad I didn't choose the DNA.

Had the DNA, but returned it for the Note. Very happy so far.

I was torn and screwed around with both for a few mins at my Verizon store. I really wanted to like the DNA over the GN2 because I really liked the form factor, but it just didnt compare to the GN2 . And yeah the screen is nice on the DNA but it isn't worth the price of admission to me......the Notes screen is pretty damn good too and it blows the DNA away in so many other areas.

First I will say Thank You to AndroidCentral. Second to all the writers. I'm not one to speak but it's been a long time since my first cell phone. I now have the Note 2 I605 & I am so glad a phone has arrived that suits my needs. Please continue with the research with this phone. Ok you may need a case but this is a phone fit for the masses.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

This thread has been informative. But I see almost everyone truly glossing over facts, and it bothers me, since the underlying facts are the REAL decision points to consider.

Positives on the Note circle around:
    1. S-Pen,
    2. perceptions of a faster TouchWiz vs. Sense,
    3. assumptions that the naked eye can't perceive quality differences between it and the DNA,
    4. SD card slot/expandable storage,
    5. and removable battery.

Positives on the DNA circle around
    1. Build quality,
    2. General appearance,
    3. "hold in hand"-ability,
    4. radio quality,
    5. 1080p screen,
    6. and Beats.

I'm troubled that people are blatantly ignoring the truly differentiating features of these two devices. They may not matter to the majority, but they need to be called out for decision making.

• Wireless charging. The DNA has it, the Galaxy Note II does not. This is a HUGE differentiator, since the DNA is one of select few phones with this capability.
    • DNA's bootloader can be unlocked; the Note II's cannot (at least not to my present knowledge)
    • Don't forget about the Exynos security flaw (Note II). Shouldn't affect anyone who's on the legal, or running an already patched ROM, but I note it as a finding.
    • The Note II is $100-$200 more expensive off contract; $100 more expensive on contract than the DNA.
    • S-Beam in the Note 2 is vastly superior in implementation to any other NFC-based system, including WiFi Direct. The DNA doesn't even come close in this category.
    • Note 2 is available on pretty much every contract carrier; the DNA is locked to Verizon.
    • Note 2's max screen brightness is pathetic compared to pretty much every other phone except the Galaxy S3 (of course).
    • DNA's front camera quality is simply shocking. I've never seen a front camera dish out an image that clear in decent lighting.
    • Touchwiz to this day goes out of its way to obscure what makes Jelly Bean an improved operating system. Sense has just as much bloat as it did back in the Incredible days, it's just blended into the OS further, but it's still there as a heavy OS that eats up what little memory the DNA does have. Both Samsung and HTC need to take notes from Motorola; BLUR is what other UIs should strive to: Looks and acts like Jelly Bean, light to the front, but still unique in application.

Again, maybe the majority won't care about the bulk of those. But they should definitely be noted.

The other candidate that has me conflicted - and unfortunately I've defeated - is the 8X. I was close to pulling the trigger, but its one deal breaker: no SKY.FM app.
    Last edited by revelated; 12-29-2012 at 06:50 PM.

The Note 2 bootloader was unlocked a couple weeks ago. Development has already gotten off to a good start.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pd240 View Post
    The Note 2 bootloader was unlocked a couple weeks ago. Development has already gotten off to a good start.
    Noted and updated. Though the fact that the unlock isn't publicly accessible or available still puts a win in the DNA's pocket, where a single click tool is available to do just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by revelated View Post
    This thread has been informative. But I see almost everyone truly glossing over facts, and it bothers me, since the underlying facts are the REAL decision points to consider.

1. S-Pen,
    3. assumptions that the naked eye can't perceive quality differences between it and the DNA,

1. Build quality,
    2. General appearance,
    4. radio quality,
    5. 1080p screen,
    6. and Beats.

I'm troubled that people are blatantly ignoring the truly differentiating features of these two devices. They may not matter to the majority, but they need to be called out for decision making.

• Wireless charging. The DNA has it, the Galaxy Note II does not. This is a HUGE differentiator, since the DNA is one of select few phones with this capability.
    • DNA's bootloader can be unlocked; the Note II's cannot (at least not to my present knowledge).
    • The Note II is $100-$200 more expensive off contract; $100 more expensive on contract than the DNA.
    • S-Beam in the Note 2 is vastly superior in implementation to any other NFC-based system, including WiFi Direct. The DNA doesn't even come close in this category.
    • Note 2 is available on pretty much every contract carrier; the DNA is locked to Verizon.
    • Note 2's max screen brightness is pathetic compared to pretty much every other phone except the Galaxy S3 (of course).
    • DNA's front camera quality is simply shocking. I've never seen a front camera dish out an image that clear in decent lighting.
    • Touchwiz to this day goes out of its way to obscure what makes Jelly Bean an improved operating system. Sense has just as much bloat as it did back in the Incredible days, it's just blended into the OS further, but it's still there as a heavy OS that eats up what little memory the DNA does have. Both Samsung and HTC need to take notes from Motorola; BLUR is what other UIs should strive to: Looks and acts like Jelly Bean, light to the front, but still unique in application.

Again, maybe the majority won't care about the bulk of those. But they should definitely be noted.

The other candidate that has me conflicted - and unfortunately I've defeated - is the 8X. I was close to pulling the trigger, but its one deal breaker: no SKY.FM app.
    Wireless charging on the Verizon Note 2 is indeed not VISIBLY present. If you took off the chasis and looked at the motherboard, the pins for Qi Wireless charging are there. If you really wanted to, you could mod the Note 2 for wireless charging. The biggest issue with wireless charging is just the amount of time it takes. The Note 2 comes with a 2 Amp charger, the equivalent of a iPad or tablet charger, so it charges quickly. Wireless charging, as far as I know, is usually 500 mA which would take A LONG TIME given the Note 2's massive battery.

The Verizon Note 2's bootloader can be unlocked. Go look at Adam Outlier's thread on xda.

Everything else you said is true/your opinion.

It's a very fortunate thing that the wife added a line so she could grab a S3. Now, after only a year, I'm eligible for another upgrade. The timing couldn't be any better seeing as how I absolutely despise the Rezound.

I'm a short guy with normal sized hands and I love the N2. I've played around with it for a bit, and I know it's a phone that I will be happy with for the next two years or so. I was concerned with the pocketability initially, but it fits with a flip cover in my work Dickies or casual 501's even better than my Rezound because of its thinness. Plus, the N2 features appeal to me a lot more than the DNA's. Screen resolution and Beats mean nothing to me. That's how I got caught last time. SMH...

1 month left... Although, you couldn't sell me another HTC product even if it came with Sanaa Lathan.

Quote Originally Posted by revelated View Post

1. S-Pen,

1. Build quality,
    2. General appearance,
    4. radio quality,
    5. 1080p screen,
    6. and Beats.

• DNA's bootloader can be unlocked; the Note II's cannot (at least not to my present knowledge)
    • Don't forget about the Exynos security flaw (Note II). Shouldn't affect anyone who's on the legal, or running an already patched ROM, but I note it as a finding.

A lot of valid points! One mistake is that DNA is locked to Verizon. That is not correct. You can only purchase at Verizon, but it is fully unlocked and can be used with any carriers sim.
    Thanked by:

The DNA is not a phone I would have considered. Note 2 was really the target for me ever since it was released. But to those for whom the DNA was the choice, best wishes and hope you love your phones.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Got my Note 2 3 days ago, and I absolutely love it. I had a HTC Desire HD before this.

Its not even close. I mean I can reply on the forums and watch espn at the same time. Game over lol. Then pull out my s pen for notes. Everyone including Apple needs to step their game up.

So...if I can purchase the DNA for $1 through my workplace, would any of you say it becomes more of a landslide to the DNA?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kaze06 View Post
    So...if I can purchase the DNA for $1 through my workplace, would any of you say it becomes more of a landslide to the DNA?
    If you can get it for a buck, do it. WTH ??
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast