Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

cigar3tte

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I'll ever buy an HTC phone again. After the Thunderbolt's atrocious battery life, I read a survey done by HTC that customers prefer thinner phones over longer battery life. Something is wrong with HTC's operations. They simply don't think battery life is important to users at this point.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I saw the DNA in person yesterday one of my coworkers has it but honestly besides the screen what's so special and by may the same phone will be released with 32gb and a slightly bigger battery

cigar3tte

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
People who are concerned about PPI difference should read this artcile - 1080p on a smartphone screen?can it possibly matter? | Ars Technica

1] For most people, though, it won't matter. Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won?t matter whether they?re viewed on a 1920?1080 or 1280?720 smartphone display; you?ll still see their imperfections. Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel. The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display. Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn?t zero in on content that?s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920?1080 is really not going to make a visual difference.

2] Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content?that is, the user interface, buttons, and text.

3] The human eye can't resolve anything higher than 229 PPI at 15" or greater.

I just want to mention that 1920x1080 on a 5" screen will probably be very hard to read when mounted on your car's dashboard. The streets in Maps, for example.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
HTC batteries are historically bad from my experience and they lose capacity quite quickly.

I used to get about 8 hours from my evo after I stopped using it constantly but after just one year can't get more than 2 hours out of it.

The charging port died (which is quite common in HTC phones from experience)

The battery back was poorly made. It was kinda stiff, which made it break but at least samsung made theirs flexible to prevent that problem.

The thunderbolt had the same issues but I've only been selling phones about 3 weeks for Verizon and I've already upgraded 17 people with thunderbolts that the touch screen died on the right side.

Did a trade in on a one x that had the charging port DIE and the customer said HTC refused to fix it. Reason number 29942645524841558 why ALL phones should come with a removable battery.
Did a few rebounds with bad batteries, a one s that didn't respond to buttons, nope I'd never touch another HTC phone unless they fixed their hardware.

I laugh inside when people say HTC has better build quality than samsung because they really don't. Build quality isn't what the phone is composed of, it's how well the phone is made and whether or not it will last.

While I used to hate samsung phones my hate for the was software related but never had a hardware issue.

Droid DNA isn't even in the notes league.

Smarten up htc

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Coldheat#AC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I think its an easy decision. You guys pretty much nailed out the key points, the dna doesn't have a sd card, or removable battery and that's a deal breaker. I also love my galaxy s3 and its going to be an easy change to get the note 2. I can't wait!

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have them both and I went back and forth for a week, to be honest I love both phones but they do offer different functionality so its not really an apples to apples comparison. I feel as if the DNA is the best "phone" Verizon has to offer, with the S3 and the Maxx HD really great as well. The DNA I had was extremely smooth, had great feel in the hand but there was quirky HTC software mods that just irked me and the battery life was worse than my S3 prior (no one is going to go backwards with battery life with a new device- HTC doesn't get that). Then I got the Note 2 and there is a different kind of smoothness with TW and for some unknown reason the Note 2 screen pulls you into what your doing, you feel more connected to the phone. Even though the dpi isn't as great as the DNA, the Note 2 colors are better. Then the battery life is just insane on the Note 2. Eventually I made the decision to stick with the Note 2, I just seem happier with it. This is great product with an awesome ROM, will never need rooting and will do whatever you throw at it. Then you have the S Pen....need I say more.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I went with note2. HTC screwed me once with battery on Thunderbolt, no way I was getting another HTC with lackluster battery. So far very happy. Battery rocks all day with heavy use and superfast software.

Here here man, couldn't agree more. I'm a Thunderbolt user myself and that whole experience made me feel really irritated with HTC. Likely my last product from them for good.

Now about all the people tossing around the screen differences of the Note 2 to the DNA. Please stop with the PPI marketing hoopla. The Note 2 has a 267 ppi and the DNA has what, 440 ppi? Yeah on paper that sounds insane but in reality you are forcing the DNA to render significantly more pixels that guess what? Your eyes will NEVER discern a difference between the 2. It's just not natural or possible for us to see the pixels with our naked eyes.

Here's a little test. Look at your computer monitor, let's say you have a 1080p 24" monitor. That's a whopping 96 ppi! Oh boy! And that 63" 1080p LCD TV? Guess what that is! 35 ppi! Wow!

I bet you DNA screen lovers and pixel divers must really hate being able to see those pixels on your big screen while sitting back on your couch!

gixxer1kdaddy

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
it seems you have conformed to the HTC's shortcomings instead of the phone being able to do what you need done ( note 2 ).
This is posted in the Note 2 forum, so it's not exactly unbiased, and I fully expect the hate I'm about to receive. But for me, it's the DNA hands down. Here's why:
1. The screen is better. I agree that 440 PPI is overkill, but that doesn't stop it from looking absolutely fantastic regardless. I've always been a huge SAMOLED fan but Samsung's fallen behind the curve on this one.

2. Form factor plays a big role. I want a phone that is comfortable to hold and use on a daily basis. Despite its size, the DNA feels like a phone and is very comfortable for daily use. It's sleek and attractive, and many people have commented on it. The Note 2 does not, and is not. It dominates my pocket, my hand, and my face (if you're brave enough to hold this thing up to your head). It requires me to stretch to reach the other side of the screen. It doesn't feel like a phone, it feels like a mini-tablet that makes calls. Well, I already have a 10.1" tablet and a 7" tablet, I just don't feel like I need a 5.5" one as well.

3. The S-Pen is cool but gimmicky; it's a feature I can't see myself using regularly. Non-starter.

4. Battery life was my biggest concern when getting the DNA. I was fully ready to return it if it was a problem. Shockingly enough, it's not. In fact, I'm rather impressed by what the DNA can accomplish: 15-20 hours on wi-fi with a solid 5-6 hours of screen time. Is it going to set records? No. Is it as good as the Note 2? Nope. Do I wish it were removable? Of course. But when the time comes to replace the battery, I have no qualms about cracking it open to replace it myself. I'd consider it neutral.

5. Storage space... yeah, that one's a bummer. But I stream most of my media, and ~11GB is enough space with some reshuffling. It's not a deal breaker for me, though I can understand how it could be for some.

Basically, I don't think you can compare these two phones because they aren't really two phones. It's a phone and a phablet. So if you want a phone, get the DNA, which is clearly the best phone on the market. If you want a phablet, get the Note 2, clearly the best phablet on the market. But they serve different purposes entirely. Just because they're both really big doesn't mean they're the same product.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't even see how this is a reasonable comparison. The Note 2 is an entirely different class of device, and while its not my cup of tea, I can see how those who love it couldn't imagine using a 'normal' phone, and respect Samsung for taking the risk to invent this class of device.
The real comparison is between the DNA and the Maxx HD. Do you prefer the Maxx and its killer battery life, expandable memory, better radios and stock+ UI, or would you give that up in exchange for the DNA's killer screen, better processor, superior camera, and Sense UI. Throw the S3 and iP5 into the mix and this is clearly the golden age of phones on Verizon. The only top phone they are missing right now is the Nokia 920, but even there the 8X is a very worthy substitute.

Last edited:

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The Note II is 0.5 inches larger than the DNA. The DNA is 0.3 inches larger than the Maxx HD. If you can compare the Maxx and the DNA, you can compare the Note to the DNA

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
it seems you have conformed to the HTC's shortcomings instead of the phone being able to do what you need done ( note 2 ).

The only shortcoming I've acknowledged is the lack of SD card. Which, in my opinion, is more than balanced out by the better screen, more appealing form factor, and stronger radios.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that what you're talking about will be next to impossible, right?

Not sure why you'd think so. I've replaced batteries on numerous sealed devices before, including iPods and iPhones. How do you think repair centers do it?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I swear android fans are reminding me more and more of iOS fans.

No sd card and non-replaceable batteries to make a phone "look better" were some of the iphone's drawbacks, and iOS fans gobbled up whatever apple told them to, but android fans were always talking about how those are negatives no matter how you spin it. (rightfully so) and having an option to do something is ALWAYS better than not having the option, but now android fans are making the same excuses.

Function over aesthetics people!

If it looks good its a plus but don't take away function to make it LOOK GOOD

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I swear android fans are reminding me more and more of iOS fans.

No sd card and non-replaceable batteries to make a phone "look better" were some of the iphone's drawbacks, and iOS fans gobbled up whatever apple told them to, but android fans were always talking about how those are negatives no matter how you spin it. (rightfully so) and having an option to do something is ALWAYS better than not having the option, but now android fans are making the same excuses.

Function over aesthetics people!

If it looks good its a plus but don't take away function to make it LOOK GOOD

Isn't purchasing the DNA an option? There are so many devices right now that I don't think the Droid Does moniker need to apply to one device.

I had the option to keep using my GNex as a daily driver. I had the option to buy the DRMHD, I had the option to by the HN2, I had the option to buy the Droid 4 or Stratosphere 2. Hell, I still have the option to buy a Droid Charge!

These options are what make Android unique from iOS and WP8. Unfortunately,the Droid Does ads definitely made it sound like that all of these options had to be in one device. Man, am I glad that's not the case...that would be one ugly and heavy device!

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I would like to thank everyone. I returned my Droid DNA tonight for Note 2 and so far I am loving it (my daughter is too lol). Plus when I returned it to Best Buy they gave me a straight across trade, so they didn't charge me the extra 100 dollars. XD

Anndrew Vacca

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Day 1-- This is going to be more difficult than I thought....

My first day of touting two of Verizon Wireless? best devices started early at 7 a.m., and the challenge has already begun. Before I jump into the shower I place both devices on the shelf and hit play?I listen to music to keep myself from falling asleep while getting ready. The winner here was clearly the Note 2?volume is loud and distortion is minimal, with rich tones and deep bass. The DNA, despite its amplified rear speaker, remains just a hair too quiet for comfortable listening.

I?m off. I head to the subway station, which as New Yorkers know (and often regret) is just far enough underground to avoid most cellular reception. This poses a problem for the DNA?without removable storage, my music choices are limited to Rdio and Google Music, as I tend to be stingy with my internal storage. Sure, I could sync a playlist or two, but why not just switch over to the Note 2? It?s microSD card has been with me for years, and contains an extensive library of my favorite music. Samsung?s phablet, thanks to its removable storage, wins another round.

Thirty minutes later, I?m back above ground. Before I head into my office, I stop for a coffee at the cart on the corner. As I?m drinking and walking, I notice an email that I want to respond to before it slips my mind. I begin to compose and realize that this is a daily occurance, and it?s a situation that can only be handled by one of these phones. The Note 2?s 5.5-inch whopper of a screen is simply too big to compose a message single handed. I?m not talking about comfort or convenience here?the task is absolutely impossible, even for a semi-large handed individual like myself. The DNA, on the other hand, strikes a perfect balance of size and usability, and I?m able to type my email comfortably with one hand. The DNA comes from behind.

I spend the next few hours at my desk, where my phone(s) sit idle with the exception of a few text messages. During this downtime, both devices conserved power admirably, yet the DNA outpaced the Note 2 by a few notches; after a few hours of little to no usage, the Note 2 lost about six percent of its battery, while the DNA lost just one. I?ve noticed this stellar performance consistently during my time with the DNA, and I can comfortably say that this phone goes stone cold in standby, a testament to the Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and HTC?s optimizations.

The long day is coming to a close, and I head out on my nightly walk home (I try to keep my time underground to a minimum). This time, thanks to the uninterrupted data connection, the DNA is the better music player, as the built-in Beats audio produced sound that is noticeably more detailed and deep than the Note 2?s. A lot of critics deny the benefits of Beats, and it is admittedly a matter of personal preference, but for me, it outperforms the competition.

And just like that, the day is over and I?m no closer to a decision. All of a sudden, I remember the last time I was in this predicament; it was the HTC Thunderbolt vs. the Droid X, and I was just as torn. But for the first time ever, Verizon Wireless customers like myself will have a hard time deciding where their money will go due to an overabundance of quality devices rather than a shortage. It?s going to be a confusing and conflicted few days.

Stay tuned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1