Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

nisxan

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why you'd think so. I've replaced batteries on numerous sealed devices before, including iPods and iPhones. How do you think repair centers do it?

Because, as I understand it, the battery is sandwiched between the screen and the board. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Phil noted at the very beginning that replacing the battery in this thing would be a b*tch.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Because, as I understand it, the battery is sandwiched between the screen and the board. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Phil noted at the very beginning that replacing the battery in this thing would be a b*tch.

Right, but I think you may have missed his point . . when you send it to a repair center to have it replaced SOMEBODY has to do the work, it isn't magic or done by a robot; so what Phil is saying is that for the average person this is not doable, but apparently jrz5024 *has* the skill/tools and so for him it *is* doable.

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I doubt that company... what's it called?

Some fruit... doubt it'll survive.

Oh you mean Google? A lot of people like to slam Apple on these forums but the very thing people complain about and bash Apple about are things that Google is following suit on.

Every nexus device comes with a certain amount of storage and no sd card slot as well as no removable battery. I wouldn't be surprised if you see almost all future devices going the way of no expandable storage as well. Google ended support of SD cards with Jelly Bean for a reason.

budbay1

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the inability of one handed operation on the Note 2 is WAY overstated. I am composing this message one handed with full keyboard and there are minimal issues & I do not have large hands by any means. I am not trying to say it's better than using 2 hands, or as comfortable to do as using a smaller phone, but one handed operation is not that difficult!
(Man my arm is tired now. ..)

Sent from the unparalleled Note 2

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh you mean Google? A lot of people like to slam Apple on these forums but the very thing people complain about and bash Apple about are things that Google is following suit on.

Every nexus device comes with a certain amount of storage and no sd card slot as well as no removable battery. I wouldn't be surprised if you see almost all future devices going the way of no expandable storage as well. Google ended support of SD cards with Jelly Bean for a reason.

Just like they tried making hardware buttons a thing of the past too?

Yeah that worked out well. Not.

Phone manufacturers decide what goes and stays in their phones. If they see a consumer base that demands removeable batteries and SD Cards, they will continue making it an option because they know it sells.

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just like they tried making hardware buttons a thing of the past too?

Yeah that worked out well. Not.

Phone manufacturers decide what goes and stays in their phones. If they see a consumer base that demands removeable batteries and SD Cards, they will continue making it an option because they know it sells.

Yeah the manufacturers do decide but if google wont support it, it would be kind of pointless. The SD card slots are going to be gone completely eventually. Now that may translate to more on board storage in phones but regardless I think in the next couple years or so SD card slots on android phones are going to be a thing of the past.

Now the removable battery thing I think Samsung will stick with for a while. That is one of Samsung's most popular features and I don't really see a need to get away from that other than to make their phones thinner.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The way I see it is the HTC DNA, Samsung GSIII and Moto Razr (Maxx) are comparable. They are all similar in physical size, function and intended use. All 3 are very similar in width and height.

The only comparable device from a physical size, function and use standpoint to the Note II is the LG Intuition. Now don't get me wrong the LG Intuition does have a leg to stand on against the Note II but it is the only comparable device. The Note II is 10 mm bigger on each side (height and width) than the DNA while the Intuition is 20 mm wider than the DNA.

I really don't think screen size matters much when physical sizes are similar. Overall size (especially width) in my opinion is really what differentiates a phone from a phablet.

DNA - 141 x 70.5 x 9.73 4.86 oz
GSIII - 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 4.7 oz
Maxx HD 131.9 x 67.9 x 9.3 5.5 oz
Note II 151.1 x 80.5 x 9.4 6.3 oz includes a pen
Intuition 139.6 x 90.4 x 8.5 5.9 oz includes a pen

nitestorm

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I end up getting the HTC DNA. It's more comfortable to hold and pocket. Plus the LCD screen is so beautiful to look at with the pure white background in webpages compare to samsung's amoled color. Although I wish it had more memory. Guess I have to use cloud storage. Besides I kept my unlimited data.
I was thinking of getting the gs3 to replace my LG spectrum because I needed something snappier with less lag, but even the LG's hd display looks better than samsung's. Glad I got the HTC DNA.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the manufacturers do decide but if google wont support it, it would be kind of pointless. The SD card slots are going to be gone completely eventually. Now that may translate to more on board storage in phones but regardless I think in the next couple years or so SD card slots on android phones are going to be a thing of the past.

Now the removable battery thing I think Samsung will stick with for a while. That is one of Samsung's most popular features and I don't really see a need to get away from that other than to make their phones thinner.

The very fact that with I believe Android 4.0 we have support for OTG cables and thumb drives/portable hard drives, is contradictory to your idea that Google will pull all support for external storage capabilities. It is a definitive part of the operating system and it will not go away, ever.

Also supporting this theory is the transition from unlimited data plans that many carriers are going through right now. With a cap on your ability to pull data while out away from a Wifi connection, the need for baseline storage capacity will only grow. Sure they might start selling phones with the typical 32GB or 64GB models, but there will still be a demand for more storage while out and about. This is where SD Cards and OTG thumb drives etc will be a requirement and Google will not gut such a basic functionality of an OS out just because they don't like people opening their phones once in awhile.

EricWiz

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The biggest drawback to the DNA, for me, is the maker. As a Thunderbolt owner I have nothing but animosity for HTC. I feel as though I was treated badly by the company. That being said, even if I try and overlook that, having a non-replaceable battery (hello TBolt battery issues) and no microSD is just a deal breaker to me.

If these phones were $100 and we didn't have to fork over our first-born if we wanted to upgrade or move on before the contracted 2years is up it would be a different story as well.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
don't you keep your unlimited data no matter the phone you get?

No Verizon has discontinued the unlimited plan and is not grandfathering upgrade customers. If you use an upgrade you will have to select a tiered data rate. If you buy the phone for retail and replace your existing phone with it then you can keep unlimited data.

markewallace

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah.....you're a moron. The reason they have non removable batteries is to MAKE it thinner. And ummm idiot, idk if you noticed but all google tablets like the nexus 7 and the transformer prime infinity ( which I happen to be using currently) all have ports for the micro sd. It's portable removeable storage, the ability to transfer data from phone to tablet to pc without having to buy, build or download a tether of any kind isn't going anywhere. And since you're really thick skulled here's some info, the reason they build phones with non removable batteries is so that when the battery goes you can't just buy a new battery of amazon for 3 bucks. You need to replace the phone, and if you dont have their insurance which they slam down your throat into your lower intestine, then you either buy a new phone or jump through hoops to get them to admit it was a manufacturer defect. Witch is still good for them since the inventory counts as another phone sold and the manufacturer foots the bill. But you go ahead and keep living in fantasy land where no one likes to keep their data and Verizon doesn't charge you over a thousand dollars a year for crappy service.

Two posts here and you're already bashing people and name calling. Cut it out. Learn some manners.

- Mark

markewallace

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Sorry marky, is there a number of posts i have to make before i can call people names?

Nope. I would have reported your violation no matter when you started it. We don't behave that way here, so just stop. Try to actually be a useful, well-behaved contributor maybe. You will build no credibility here -- and thus convince nobody of your opinion -- if you can't be a gentleman along the way. You just sound like an immature wretch right now.

My manners are fine,

No they aren't.

If you're offended by letters... well you need to asses your life.

And you need to learn to spell.

- Mark

- - - Updated - - -

Can somebody get a mod and get rid of this butthead?

I have reported one violation already and will continue as-needed. Not that I have any authority, but that's what the "Report Post" button is for after all.

- Mark

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois