Note 2 micro sd card problems

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Sooooo I upgraded from the Samsung galaxy s. Popped in my micro sd card from the old devoce and went to "restore" several apps (mypod and ovuview) amd it couldn't find the file. So I freaked out and darted to the My files where I discovered the thing has a build in external memory(WTF? Seriously?). Anyway, I got the apps to restore and set everything to auto save to my actual micro SD card but alas, it still dosen't save things there by default.
Every thing is in DISSARAY! How do I get everything to just read the SD card so it's all in one place(that's why I got the 32gb one anyway, I back it up to my computer every now and then and use my phone as my flash drive for school and such). If anyone knows how to do this withOUTrooting, that's preferred. I just got the thing and want to enjoy it stock for a bit. I finally feel like I can do that since I've left Virgin Mobile and the devices actually perform fairly decently(everything about the note 2 is STELLAR).

Thanks in advance everypony!

kslghost

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really sure what you're asking here, but perhaps you are unaware that since jelly bean came out, apps do not save to the microSD card anymore? This I believe is a google's choice.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I get what he's saying and it never occurred to me, but now it's putting me into a slight panic mode too.

Basically (if I am correct) his issue is that the 16GB of space we have built into the Note 2 is partitioned off so that some of it is for app storage and the rest is for faking an SD Card. Well he has a real SD Card and he wants all apps that save to and access the SD Card to default to the REAL SD Card and not the fake one. I want to know this as well.

My other mini panic that I just had over this realization is that well initially 16GB internal storage never even bothered me, knowing I could stick a 64GB SD Card into the phone made me feel better but now knowing that some of that space is setup as an "sd card" meaning LESS than 16GB available for apps/system, my God how much space do we actually have available for app installs? No wonder people were getting edgy about not having access to the 32/64GB Note 2 models here in America :mad: This sucks.

Kale Blossom

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Youre fairly close.

Im talking about where apps save to and read from. Like when I tried to restore mypod it couldn't find my restore file until I moved everything to my phone. But I listen to a lot of podcasts so I don't want to hog up precious phone data with MP3s from podcasts. Plus if this phone broke, how could I just restore to an old devoce if all the critical backup files backed up to the fake sd card called the device's memory? I work in a machine shop and the possibility of my device breaking is a possibility as much as I hate to admit it.

Also I'm a she not a he. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

demonvamp666

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Please describe what you are experiencing in more detail

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
like one minute my SD memory will be at 3.84 MBs then all of a sudden for no reason it goes WAY DOWN to 476 kb just being idle!!! where did my memory go?!?!? i did nothing but leave my phone untouched.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
like one minute my SD memory will be at 3.84 MBs then all of a sudden for no reason it goes WAY DOWN to 476 kb just being idle!!! where did my memory go?!?!? i did nothing but leave my phone untouched.

And all the data is gone permanently?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

demonvamp666

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
what am i black?!?!?! i need help too pool_shark. ive had this problem happen too many times and im losing memory i could be using for pics and music instead.

demonvamp666

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
i dont lose no data, just whats left of the unused memory. this is the 4th time this has happened to me with this sd card. i dont really have the money to get another one. and i dont think i can get another one with more memory, the phone i have is an LG P-500h ( optimus one ) and it came with a 2GB Micro SD card.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i dont lose no data, just whats left of the unused memory. this is the 4th time this has happened to me with this sd card. i dont really have the money to get another one. and i dont think i can get another one with more memory, the phone i have is an LG P-500h ( optimus one ) and it came with a 2GB Micro SD card.

Oh this section of the forums is for the samsung galaxy note 2. But have you tried moving the files you have on the SD card to your computer, then formatting your SD card , then transfer the data back on to the SD card and see if it holds up, it sounds like the SD card may be going bad so you may not have a choice in the matter.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

You're describing 2 separate things; memory and storage are 2 different beasts. Your phone has 2GB of memory and 16GB of storage. If your memory has ever been listed as 3.84 you have a very serious problem going on. As for the storage issue....under Settings>Storage your phone should show Device Memory and SD card if you have 1 installed. Applications can only be stored on Device Memory. That number should not fluctuate at all unless you are installing and uninstalling apps. The same goes for your SD card. Again, if those #'s are fluctuating, you've got a serious issue going on.

demonvamp666

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh this section of the forums is for the samsung galaxy note 2. But have you tried moving the files you have on the SD card to your computer, then formatting your SD card , then transfer the data back on to the SD card and see if it holds up, it sounds like the SD card may be going bad so you may not have a choice in the matter.

yes i have. and it does the same thing. ive only had this phn a year and the sd card was the one that came with the phn. there is no section for my cell phone and when i saw the help forum for sd cards i took the chance, and posted as when i start a thread NO ONE EVER READS OR EVEN COMMENTS ON IT. i live in canada so how much do u think the CHEAPEST 2GB micro sd card would go for?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
yes i have. and it does the same thing. ive only had this phn a year and the sd card was the one that came with the phn. there is no section for my cell phone and when i saw the help forum for sd cards i took the chance, and posted as when i start a thread NO ONE EVER READS OR EVEN COMMENTS ON IT. i live in canada so how much do u think the CHEAPEST 2GB micro sd card would go for?

a 2gig sd card here in the US is $5.50 a 16gig is around $15

demonvamp666

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You're describing 2 separate things; memory and storage are 2 different beasts. Your phone has 2GB of memory and 16GB of storage. If your memory has ever been listed as 3.84 you have a very serious problem going on. As for the storage issue....under Settings>Storage your phone should show Device Memory and SD card if you have 1 installed. Applications can only be stored on Device Memory. That number should not fluctuate at all unless you are installing and uninstalling apps. The same goes for your SD card. Again, if those #'s are fluctuating, you've got a serious issue going on.

im talking about my SD CARD MEMORY being that low on a 2GB card. i use my SD card for mostly my music and my pics/vids nothing else. b4 i hooked up my phone to my computer to download a song to it it was at 3.84 MBs, after a few failed attempts of showing up in my computer as a removable disk i unplugged my phone and noticed the memory was down to 428KB!!!! like where did all that unused memory go???

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
im talking about my SD CARD MEMORY being that low on a 2GB card. i use my SD card for mostly my music and my pics/vids nothing else. b4 i hooked up my phone to my computer to download a song to it it was at 3.84 MBs, after a few failed attempts of showing up in my computer as a removable disk i unplugged my phone and noticed the memory was down to 428KB!!!! like where did all that unused memory go???

oh ok. it sounds like the data is probably transferring but may be corrupt. that would show the SD card as full but you wouldn't be able to access the data. you may need to reformat the SD card.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Where are you viewing the memory from on your phone? I dont have your phone but sometimes the phone shows you internal memory card instead of external memory card. My wife had a similar problem with her phone, She told me she had no memory left but when i looked all her pictures were saving to an internal sdcard but there was not a way to tell the difference from her phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12