1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ATT Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon Network?

Sorry if this is a noob question but I need some assistance.

Can a unlocked ATT Galaxy Note 2 be used on the Verizon network? I know the networking technologies are different but I am under the impression that all Galaxy Note 2 phones in the USA are identical inside with different radios enabled or disabled based on carrier. True or false?

Why do I ask? Because Iím a cheap ******* and I find it hard to pay over a $100 per month for a phone bill. I donít mind shelling out a onetime fee for the phone. My thought is to purchase a Note 2 from ATT for $650 (current price) and use it on the Straight Talk or NET10 network (ATT sim). Yes I know I wonít get 4G but Iím ok with that as I have Wifi available most of the time. Thing is Iím not sure how good the ATT network is in NJ. I know itís better than TMobile which I currently use but not as good as Verizon.

I thought as my backup plan if ST or NET10 coverage didnít work for me I would pony up for Verizon and use the ATT Note 2. So before I plunk down $650 for a ATT Note 2 I really want to know if it is compatible with Verizon in case I have to switch carriers.

I appreciate any help.

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Default Re: ATT Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon Network?

Must be in Verizon database to be used, CDMA requires esn registration. Better off getting your teeth pulled by a 5 year old with rusty pliers than trying to get a non Verizon phone on it's network.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    3348b76f

Global Posts
    4,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    Must be in Verizon database to be used, CDMA requires esn registration. Better off getting your teeth pulled by a 5 year old with rusty pliers than trying to get a non Verizon phone on it's network.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Damn that was funny. No offense, OP.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

None taken. No point in footing around the truth.
    I'm trying to decide the best bang for my buck. Its hard to do without knowing which phones will work on which networks.
    Thanks for the responses.

Global Posts
    4,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by stoutdoggy View Post
    None taken. No point in footing around the truth.
    I'm trying to decide the best bang for my buck. Its hard to do without knowing which phones will work on which networks.
    Thanks for the responses.
    Typically, T-Mobile and A Suck & Suck are the GSM carriers, while Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. You mentioned you are on T-Mobile now.....I believe you can spread the cost out through monthly payments, but maybe not if you pay full donkey for the device.

ROM
    Rooted, De-Bloated Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    ....I believe you can spread the cost out through monthly payments, but maybe not if you pay full donkey for the device.
    I'm not sure what full donkey is but it sounds pretty horrifying

Sent from my sweet Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Rocking the Galaxy Note 2. Rooted and De-Bloated. Take that VZW!!

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

The easy rule is that if a phone doesn't have a Sprint logo on it, it will simply not work on Sprint, and the same goes for Verizon, both being CDMA vs. GSM carriers.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I'm aware of the differences in GSM and CDMA but my understanding was that the GN2 all have the same internal hardware ( for US versions anyway) regardless of carrier.. I thought the radios and protocols inside were activated dependent on carrier. Theoretically once unlocked the phone could then be used on any network.

I'm not worried about paying full price for the phone, but yes the donkey thing is scary.

I would stick with TM but their coverage is spotty and the wifi calling thing is completely unreliable. Once TM switched to IMS from UMA the whole wifi calling thing is a no go. I actually purchased a GS3 from TM but had to return it because of wifi calling worked 25%. There's a whole group of people on TM support group with the same issue. TM has done nothing to resolve it.

Basically I don't care where I buy the phone, but I would like to be able to use it on Verizon and Straight Talk (ATT GSM sim) depending on the coverage. I know Verizon coverage is better but its going to cost me double ST.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stoutdoggy View Post
    Yes I know I wonít get 4G

Why do you say that? I was checking out net10 today and was told that if I have an AT&T Note 2 and activate it on net10 they would activate me on AT&T's network and that 4G and LTE would work the same (with the same coverage) as if I actually activated the phone with AT&T. Were they BS'ing me?

The only way to do it is with Esn cloning, which can be illegal...

I pay $45 for my share of the family plan with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE, which works good for me since I don't use much voice or text but have used 60gb a month before.

The Verizon prepaid everything plan is only for select phones (without doing esn cloning), and doesn't have 4GLTE

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II