USB Mass Storage transfer mode?

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I discovered recently that my computer absolutely hates dealing with MTP when transferring files to my phone (copying off of the phone is fine, oddly enough), so I've been resorting to using wireless transfer via apps like AirDroid. While it works, I'd optimally like to just go back to using UMS when hooking my phone up to my computer.

On GS3s and certain other GN2s, there is a workaround available via xda in the SGS3 Easy UMS app (USB Mass Storage (SGS3 Easy UMS) - xda-developers), but I've had no luck making that work with my Verizon GN2.

Anyone know of a way to make that work, or have any better solution that to keep using AirDroid?

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Windows does not hate MTP, the drivers that windows installs are garbage and gives the Hardware ID missing error. You would think that an ID would not be needed these days, but alas it is. Too bad they cant fix the drivers that Windows wants to automatically installed.

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Can't comment on the drivers Windows installs, all I know is that MTP is far less efficient (and actually refuses to transfer certain files, for some reason) than UMS on my computer. Not sure why.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Some people had the same issues with the Galaxy Nexus.
I plugged in my Nexus and the drivers installed automatically, it was the same with the Note 2.
I just transferred a 1.2GB movie to the Note 2 via USB.

Tari

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, my computer just refuses to transfer anything quickly, and it's having issues with certain files and filesizes, it appears. Not sure if it's a driver issue or what, but it's highly irritating, and I never had that issue when I was transferring files via UMS instead of MTP.