Terrible 4G Speeds on my Note II

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
When I got my Galaxy Nexus exactly one year ago, I had download speeds of 15mg and uploads of 8mg routinely in NYC.

That was just too darn sweet.

Now on my Note II, I am getting pathetic downloads and uploads. This is just ridiculous.

SamsungGalaxyNoteII.jpg

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
4G speeds have dropped substantially in 1 year

Best I have got just last week on my iPhone 5 will test speeds on my galaxy nexus when it comes by the weekend.
pubega5y.jpg

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: 4G speeds have dropped substantially in 1 year

aha, I guess it depends on the region?

I am in nyc. you guys?

Will do another test when outside with full bars.

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

Odds are in a place like NYC it's probably because of traffic, but I could be wrong.

Edit: and of course signal strength too.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I generally see 33Mb in ATL. Sometimes depending in location I cross into 40 but usually the low I see is around 22. Same speeds as I got on my RAZR MAXX.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site

I have noticed the same thing. The more people switched to LTE phones the slower it has gotten. I remember having 4G when it first was introduced in my area and WOW it was smokin fast. It has definitely slowed down since then! I am NJ so we are probably see the same results

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I've seen slow downs too, but primarily only around work (in the city) and in particular during the day when there are a ton of people around loading up the nearby towers. Otherwise early morning, at night or weekends, speeds go back up. At home out in the burbs though, I still get consistently good speeds. I've found too that it's best to try a few different test servers; the closest one doesn't always give you the best result. Example, just now (at home) the closest test server here in Birmingham was a lot slower than one in Atlanta or another in Arab, AL (see screenshot below). :)

Screenshot_2012-12-07-09-02-18.png

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I've definitely noticed a slow down since 4G rolled out. When I first got my Tbolt, I was getting 30 to 35 down and 15 to 20 up here in Dallas. Over the last year and a half I've noticed the speeds getting slower and slower. Now on my DNA, I'm getting 15ish down and 5 to 7 up and my buddy is getting about the same on his Note 2. The speeds in the outskirts of Pittsburgh were absolutely atrocious. At my parents house about 30 miles SW of Pittsburgh, I was only getting 5 down and 5 up. In the city of Pittsburgh though I was at 30 down and 15 up.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

The more people that are on it the less bandwidth to share. Unless they upgrade the hardline out to handle the data speeds it will continue to drop the more people adopt it just like internet in your neighborhood.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

Thanks guys! I tried it with two bars of 4g from my desk, I'll try again from outside, but there is no question in busy metro areas, specially with iPhone 5 coming on the 4G network, we are going to see a slowdown! This sucks...

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site

I am getting pathetic 4G speeds. I just tried it a few times and pretty much the same results. I am contacting VZW.

SamsungGalaxyNoteII.jpg

enfuego360

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

i have a thunderbolt and i have noticed the same thing in nyc. probably about 6 months ago or so, i would normally get 10 mbps download speeds. now it is around what you are getting (1-2 mbps). that is 3g speed. the thing though is that i dont really notice a slow down when i browse on 4g, compared to what i see on 3g. on 3g, i noticeably have to wait for things to load. i dont see that on 4g, even at 1-2 mbps. maybe the speedtest app isnt correct. maybe i just am off on this. not sure.

orgelbau

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I regularly see speeds over 30 Mbits/sec in SE Michigan. The Note 2 is the best 4G phone I have ever owned. I had a Rezound that would average low 20s. It would seem that your locale is mostly to blame, get the phone looked at to be sure.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc