Should an MHL adapter just work?

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I just got an MHL adapter and hook it up according to instructions but no picture on the big screen. Is there some other settings I should be changing? Another thing is that it's not an actual Samsung product even though this ad said it was that way could that be in issue? Thanks all

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I just got an MHL adapter and hook it up according to instructions but no picture on the big screen. Is there some other settings I should be changing? Another thing is that it's not an actual Samsung product even though this ad said it was that way could that be in issue? Thanks all

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

That could be a big issue. The S3 had issues with MHL adapters that weren't made for that phone specifically. The Note 2 could be the same way.

Edit: Yeah looks like that's the case. I found this: Samsung Galaxy S3 / Note 2 MHL HDTV Adapter - EPL-3FHUBEGSTD :: MobileFun.com which should work stand alone

and

This one that should fix the issue you're having: Samsung Galaxy S3 S III MHL Adapter Tip - Original OEM EPL-FU10BEBSTD ..... Should

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Samsung MHL adapter. A power cord needs to be connected to it. As far as I recall, it just worked for me without having to mess with any settings on the phone. I started a video on my phone, and it played on the TV.

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
FIGURED IT OUT!!

Ultimately, it wasn't a bad adapter - it was that my case was keeping the connector from going in all the way! Now it works great!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I suggest that people using MHL use an app called Screen Standby. it shuts off the screen while using HDMI that way the phone isnt using so much battery because dispite it being charged the screen being on sucks down alot of power. Like 600mA while its being charged at 500mA so that means there is a deficite. Meaning while the power is in its just slowing the discharge

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Great app, definitely gonna add it to my list of must haves for this phone.

One thing however, using MHL requires you be plugged in to the AC charger no? That's 2A not .5A. So even with the screen on, this phones beastly wall charger should put out enough power to charge the phone pretty much no matter what you do with it.

That being said I will still most definitely get this app for my HDMI-out usages. Thanks

Update: downloaded it and sure enough my suspicions were confirmed. After reading in the description how it "turns off the backlight" I had a feeling I knew what was going to happen.

The app doesn't actually turn the display off. The screen is still on, it's just displaying full black. Tested it in a dark room, you can see a slight glow coming from the screen, and pressing the power button causes a substantial drop in darkness to pitch black, meaning screen turned off. So the real question is, what type of impact will this have on battery life, and furthermore does it have any impact on the performance hit we take by doing HDMI mirroring. It obviously takes more GPU power to send an image to 2 displays instead of 1, so I wonder how this really works compared to actually turning the display off. Does the app just place a full black image over our screen, giving the illusion the screen is off? Or does it actually kill all screen draw processing on the GPU, causing an increase in not only battery life but in frame processing performance.

I'll have to wait till I get my MHL adapter to play around with it, probably try running a Quadrant Advanced with both Mirrored HDMI and with this app running, note any differences, and draw conclusions from there.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Great app, definitely gonna add it to my list of must haves for this phone.

One thing however, using MHL requires you be plugged in to the AC charger no? That's 2A not .5A. So even with the screen on, this phones beastly wall charger should put out enough power to charge the phone pretty much no matter what you do with it.

That being said I will still most definitely get this app for my HDMI-out usages. Thanks

Update: downloaded it and sure enough my suspicions were confirmed. After reading in the description how it "turns off the backlight" I had a feeling I knew what was going to happen.

The app doesn't actually turn the display off. The screen is still on, it's just displaying full black. Tested it in a dark room, you can see a slight glow coming from the screen, and pressing the power button causes a substantial drop in darkness to pitch black, meaning screen turned off. So the real question is, what type of impact will this have on battery life, and furthermore does it have any impact on the performance hit we take by doing HDMI mirroring. It obviously takes more GPU power to send an image to 2 displays instead of 1, so I wonder how this really works compared to actually turning the display off. Does the app just place a full black image over our screen, giving the illusion the screen is off? Or does it actually kill all screen draw processing on the GPU, causing an increase in not only battery life but in frame processing performance.

I'll have to wait till I get my MHL adapter to play around with it, probably try running a Quadrant Advanced with both Mirrored HDMI and with this app running, note any differences, and draw conclusions from there.

Sorry 500mA is USB ports
I work for Universal display corp. We devolop OLED tecnology that Samsung uses for their super AMOLED screens. In LCD displays Even if you put a black overlay over the screen you are using alot more power than an OLED because it has a backlight , this is why when you see an LCDscreen with a black screen it glows grey. In OLED screens the chemicals themselves glow so there is no need for a back light, this is why black looks really black the chemicals are not working to glow. So by simply placing that black overlay they are saving alot of power consumption. Despite gpu usage there is a savings.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jamie Cawood

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello all I have just bought an mhl adapter to hook up my HTC one s to my tv I connected all the cables the correct way but nothing is appearing on screen my phone auto rotates and tells me in my notifications bar that I am connected but there's nothing on my tv screen I tried it on another tv in my house and it worked fine so I don't understand why it isn't working on the other one my main tv is a 42 inch sharp aquos and the one which worked with the adapter is a 19 inch tv which cost a fraction of the price please help I have no clue thankyou.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello all I have just bought an mhl adapter to hook up my HTC one s to my tv I connected all the cables the correct way but nothing is appearing on screen my phone auto rotates and tells me in my notifications bar that I am connected but there's nothing on my tv screen I tried it on another tv in my house and it worked fine so I don't understand why it isn't working on the other one my main tv is a 42 inch sharp aquos and the one which worked with the adapter is a 19 inch tv which cost a fraction of the price please help I have no clue thankyou.

be sure to change your hdmi input on the tv itself.

Jonphillips12345

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I am having issues connecting my Verizon Note 2 SCH-i605 using Samsung MHL to HDTV adapter. Everything is hooked up properly. Im hooking it up to a 60" Vizio Smart TV using a HDMI 1.4 cable and the Samsung wall charger that came with the phone. When plugged in phone says HDMI connected but there is no picture. Does the adapter work with 1.4 HDMI cables or should I use a 1.3 or older? Do I need the 5 pin to 11pin aadapter? I do not see anyone else using it demo videos though, theirs seems to work using the MHL to HDMI only. Thanks.

velvetvetfog82

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
So your saying that the micro usb that plugs into my phone on the mhl cable shouldhhave 11 pins instead of 5? I just got one off ebay and it said it's for the note 2 but I have nothing on my TV screen. The phone is charging from being plugged in but that's all. It's a us cellular note 2 by the way.

Silicon_Image

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi There. Most adapters that you will find on eBay will be 5-pin adapters as that is the original Micro-USB connection. Samsung introduced a new 11-pin Micro-USB connection with the release of the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 (and now with the S4) so you will need to add an "11-pin adapter tip" to make MHL work for the Note 2. You can find them on ebay by searching for "5 to 11 pin converter". Hope that helps.

Krista from MHL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12