1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default App Permissions

I've noticed there is a Development Tool permission that says "test access to protected storage" on some apps... what is this? Does it mean that developers can access info on my USB?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: App Permissions

Quote Originally Posted by DvineMzM View Post
    I've noticed there is a Development Tool permission that says "test access to protected storage" on some apps... what is this? Does it mean that developers can access info on my USB?
    It means that apps need to write to your external card to save your scores on games and such
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    It means that apps need to write to your external card to save your scores on games and such
    Thank you!!

I'm currently looking into getting the N2, coming from a 4S. I was going to go SGS3 but then heard rumors of the N2 for Verizon so i waited, besides a bigger screen would be nicer for me as well

I do have a question in regards to application permissions different than what the OP was looking for. I was at Verizon yesterday and spent 45mins using the N2 - i really, really like it! My one concern, i could not find anywhere in the menu to deny certain permissions after its dwld'd from the G-Play store. In fact, quite a few of the apps on the N2 i looked at in the app details itself showed alot of the "warning triangle exclamation" I did ask one of the reps and they told me that a seperate "task manager" app was needed to be able to control those certain permissions from an app accessing your contacts, texts, phone etc.

If someone could please LMK what the deal is with the permissions and setting them to off (ie. the menu path of where to do this within the device) - i would greatly appreciate. it! Also, just to add, i do not plan on rooting at all. TIA.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Android permissions are a bit of a mystery to most. You really have to read into them to get a better idea because most sound fairly ominous. What you should look out for are apps that ask for permission that they should never have. Like a game that wants access to your contacts, or a contact manager that needs hardware controls. If you think you need/want more granular control over what app can do what, you should look into an app like Permission Denied. Here's and example and breakdown of typical app permissions:

App: Word Hero

Permissions:
    Your location: approximate(network-based) location
    Network Communication: full network access
    Phone calls: read phone status and identity.
    Hardware controls: control vibration

Explanation:
    Your location: Grabs a course location from the network to tell usually what time zone you're in. Can be more specific to the actual location of the tower
    Network communication: The app will communicate over the internet via your data connection
    Phone Calls: The app can read when there is an incoming phone call in order to pause/task switch to the incoming call without disturbing the app.
    Hardware Controls: Self explanatory.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Android permissions are a bit of a mystery to most. You really have to read into them to get a better idea because most sound fairly ominous. What you should look out for are apps that ask for permission that they should never have. Like a game that wants access to your contacts, or a contact manager that needs hardware controls. If you think you need/want more granular control over what app can do what, you should look into an app like Permission Denied. Here's and example and breakdown of typical app permissions:

App: Word Hero

Permissions:
    Your location: approximate(network-based) location
    Network Communication: full network access
    Phone calls: read phone status and identity.
    Hardware controls: control vibration

Explanation:
    Your location: Grabs a course location from the network to tell usually what time zone you're in. Can be more specific to the actual location of the tower
    Network communication: The app will communicate over the internet via your data connection
    Phone Calls: The app can read when there is an incoming phone call in order to pause/task switch to the incoming call without disturbing the app.
    Hardware Controls: Self explanatory.
    Ok, I get what your saying. When I was looking at the N2 yesterday one of the apps that I recall looking into was Engadget. One of the permissions was letting the app access the phone(calls, contacts) I would imagine as you stated above to let the app pause to allow the incoming call - but text msgs one didn't make sense to me. The Internet data one I can understand, but the other I pointed out(tx msg) makes no sense at all. So this is what I'm having a hard time understanding. I'm not totally techie, but I do have some knowledge from using bb's in the past(4+yrs) and iOS for 1yr+. Android I've never used tho, so this would be a learning curve for me.

I'm really interested in making the switch soon-either right after Christmas or at the beginning of the new year.

Again, TIA for an insight