Gallery freezing with Wifi On

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Very frustrating and reproduced this problem on all three Note II's in my family. I can live right now because I have unlimited data and 4G at home so I'm not really losing anything by keeping Wifi off, but for my brother who is on a tiered plan, it sucks. Basically the steps to reproduce the problem are very simple:

- Enable Wifi and connect to a network
- Open up the stock Gallery app
- Try to click a folder or hover over them with the S Pen
- Over the course of 10 seconds it will slow to a freeze

You won't be able to back out with the back-key as it will take forever for the presses to register, but pressing the home key should take you out after a second or two. To fix the issue, turn off Wifi and kill the Gallery process in the task manager.

Very frustrating and I seriously hope Samsung is aware of this so it can be fixed in our first OTA.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have this problem. I just followed your steps exactly. I was able to click on an album and it opened right away. I tried it with figer touch and with S-Pen. And I was able to hover over the albums and the "slide show" kind of effect opened immediately and continue to play as long as I kept the S-Pen hovering over it. And I was able to back out immediately when I wanted to.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have this problem. I just followed your steps exactly. I was able to click on an album and it opened right away. I tried it with figer touch and with S-Pen. And I was able to hover over the albums and the "slide show" kind of effect opened immediately and continue to play as long as I kept the S-Pen hovering over it.

Do you have an SD Card in your phone by chance? And was your phone made in China or Korea? All three of our Note II's were made in China.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ugh I was very afraid you'd say that.

There's only one more thing I can do to confirm where the true issue lies, and that's test on different routers. I was able to confirm that if Wifi is ON but not connected to anything I don't have the problem. It was as soon as I connected to my home router that the Gallery started to lag out and freeze up on me. Tried disabling WPA2, tried dropping from N to G, didn't fix it. If I connect to my router my Gallery freezes out hard.

So now I get to try on a different router and if it does it there, I'm thinking it's time to return this and pray I get a made in Korea. I feel like there are none in my area though. Brother got his in store here in Jersey and his was made in China. I ordered the Note II's for my wife and I online and they shipped from PA, both made in China.

Great :-\

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Question for you... Do you have Fbook set up to sync photos? When I was trying to pick a wallpaper (I think... may have been a custom icon for Nova) the facebook photos seems to slow down the populating of the gallary. I can only get the gallary to slow down/freeze similar to the way you describe when picking a wallpaper or custom icon. If I just go into the gallary app in the app drawer it's as fast as it's supposed to be.

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I tried to duplicate this without success. I have a SD card in and my phone is Korean made. FWIW - appears to validate the point of manufacture issue above.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Question for you... Do you have Fbook set up to sync photos? When I was trying to pick a wallpaper (I think... may have been a custom icon for Nova) the facebook photos seems to slow down the populating of the gallary. I can only get the gallary to slow down/freeze similar to the way you describe when picking a wallpaper or custom icon. If I just go into the gallary app in the app drawer it's as fast as it's supposed to be.

I don't have Facebook, so unless there's some kind of auto-sync enabled from stock then I don't think it's that. Man this sucks royally. I paid the same amount of money for my device as anyone else, why should it be left to luck of draw whether it is up to snuff or not? This kind of problem should not exist.

Jeremy Lewis

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I figured out the problem. Mine was doing the same thing with wireless connected the gallery would freeze up. To fix it I turned off AllshareCast under Settings, More Settings. Once that was off, no more freeze up in Gallery with wifi connected. I think the problem is that Allshare Cast scans for local devices when connected to wifi and it locks up the gallery.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I figured out the problem. Mine was doing the same thing with wireless connected the gallery would freeze up. To fix it I turned off AllshareCast under Settings, More Settings. Once that was off, no more freeze up in Gallery with wifi connected. I think the problem is that Allshare Cast scans for local devices when connected to wifi and it locks up the gallery.

Nice glad to hear this fixed it for you.

I recently unlocked my phone and installed Build 2 of JellyBeans, so in that process I did a full factory reset and system wipe. Well once all was said and done, I found that my problem with Wifi + gallery lag was completely resolved. I see that I do haev Allsharecast installed on the ROM but I don't have it enabled. Too afraid to turn it on and risk getting messed up again :O But thanks for pointing it out.

kolewis

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I too have a Galaxy Note 2 on Jellybean with this issue. However, all of the above suggestions have not worked. I even got my local dealer to replace the phone and same issue. The one thing I have noticed though, is that it only seems to do this on my home wifi network. Work, doesn't do it, open hotspots, doesn't do it. Just at home. My wife's galaxy S3 running Jellybean doesn't have this issue at all. :(

I've tried resetting the router, taking out my custom dns settings / etc but anything that seems to work, stops within a few minutes and right back to the same issue. My router is an Apple Airport Extreme. - Weird thing is though, when I first got this phone, it worked for almost 2 weeks with no issues and just started a few days ago and is relentless. No other gallery apps have this issue, just the stock app. However I can't find a 3rd party gallery app that I like or doesn't have other issues itself!

Any other suggestions for me to try?

fwhomeboy

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I too have a Galaxy Note 2 on Jellybean with this issue. However, all of the above suggestions have not worked. I even got my local dealer to replace the phone and same issue. The one thing I have noticed though, is that it only seems to do this on my home wifi network. Work, doesn't do it, open hotspots, doesn't do it. Just at home. My wife's galaxy S3 running Jellybean doesn't have this issue at all. :(

I've tried resetting the router, taking out my custom dns settings / etc but anything that seems to work, stops within a few minutes and right back to the same issue. My router is an Apple Airport Extreme. - Weird thing is though, when I first got this phone, it worked for almost 2 weeks with no issues and just started a few days ago and is relentless. No other gallery apps have this issue, just the stock app. However I can't find a 3rd party gallery app that I like or doesn't have other issues itself!

Any other suggestions for me to try?

Sounds like you installed an app that's causing a conflict. What apps did you install lately. Maybe ???

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely not a user installed app causing this. I believe it has to do with Picasa syncing in the gallery.

Kolewis please try this for me:

Settings -> Accounts -> Gmail -> disable Picasa photo syncing

Afterwards try opening the Gallery with WiFi enabled. If it still happens, then I'm out of ideas and don't know what to recommend. Hopefully that fixes it for you though.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a phone made in China, a class 10 SD card and I am not having this issue. I do remember a lag in the beginning as things were syncing with Picassa. I have about 500 pictures that I copied to the SD when I got it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben Holwell

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem on my N7100 from new, totally unusable Gallery app, only until finding this post today i didn't realize it will work perfectly just by turning off WiFi, has anybody found a solution? I kept blaming kernels etc, I'm using Perseus Kernel and stock 4.1.2, would love to find a solution other than to turn off WiFi every time.
Disabled Allcast and picasa, still the same, new/old firmware makes no differance,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid