Received my Otterbox Defender today..

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Literally just walked in from the office and saw my Otterbox (that i ordered early via OB website) on my porch.

Very quickly I popped it open and put my GN2 in there and it fits great! Definitely pretty sturdy construction.

Here is the BUT....

:mad:

The screen protector on the case sits right above the screen which makes a rather annoying click when typing. I also feel that swype strokes are not even possible. S pen acts a little funky and sometimes doesnt work.

AND the worst thing yet is that I will have to modify the rubber power button on the case b.c it either doesnt work when pressed or it gets stuck and tries to power off the device. Not thrilled Otter Box.

I am happy my phone will be protected but if I cant use it in the case then why even bother?

ehatyga2.jpg

dutebaje.jpg

vy9u7e3y.jpg

epypevy6.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________

1/1/13 - UPDATE - Video Review

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Well that sucks! Do you think it's defective or a defect others would have if you got it replaced? I had an otterbox defender series with my S3 and I tried it on and didn't like it. It seemed huge. I figured it would make the Note 2 the size of my Nexus 7.

mrdinks

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Hate the Otter box for those reasons. That plastic piece is annoying and will bother you forever.
You can take a knife and cut it off and just use a real screen protector. Other things will get under there also, dirt, hair. chips :)

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucks! Do you think it's defective or a defect others would have if you got it replaced? I had an otterbox defender series with my S3 and I tried it on and didn't like it. It seemed huge. I figured it would make the Note 2 the size of my Nexus 7.

Hope its just something messed up woth this case. Im going to call them inbthe morning and see what they have to say...
I have had otterboxes for every phone I have had since my blackberry days. I use and abuse them and the case keeps on protecting. But now I feel let down. All that money for a case I will depend on and its got issuses from the get go

Neal0790

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I got mine yesterday and so far i like it. It doesnt add nearly the bulk i thought it would. I hear what your saying about the click when you touch the screen, mine does it too. But it doesnt aggrivate me enough to care. I havent had any issues with response, s-pen works great and can do everything i could before. The power button issue seems wierd on yours, maybe the rubber is lined up right? The volume control on mine seemed a little stiff at first, but seems to have got better after i took the case off and put it back on again. My only gripe with the case so far is that the screen has a hole cut in it for the home button. Ive had a few times the plastic has got stuck on me for a second.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I had a Defender on my S3 and really liked the case. I did remove the screen protector. It was easy to remove by pushing around the edges. I installed the Zagg HD screen protector, which worked great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpeter

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I also received my Defender yesterday. And I also noticed the seperation of OB screen and the Note 2. Then I remembered that I had a screen protector on the device prior to installing the OB; meaning I had both the belt and suspenders. Removed the one I had installed and the clicking/seperation went away; Swipe also works again. In all I am extremely pleased with the OB Defender with one exception, the power button on the OB is very sensitive (on mine). This is not my first Defender; I have been using them on my devices for many years and will continue to do so.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I will have to I figure out what I want to do with the screen protectors but the power button problem makee this case useless. I tried it back on the phone last night and the rubber doesn't line up with the power button at all.

Maybe a defective case?

Last edited:

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well after trying a bunch of different things I figured it wqs time to just trim the rubber on my power button. Worked like a charm. Case works like normal now. Next step is to eother get used to the clicking on the screen or cut that off too...uploadfromtaptalk1355449295576.jpg

That is all I had to removed to make it work

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I HIGHLY recommend pushing out the screen protector on the defender, then using Goo Gone or something else to remove the glue residue. Then get SGP Steinheill Crystal screen protector (which feels almost like the phones glass) and put that on, then put on the Defender (sans stock screen protector). That's what I did with my Otterbox Defender for iPhone 4S. It's an amazing combo. Some people also get the SGP Glas.T instead of the Steinheill Crystal.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I had to trim the inner portion of the power button with a pair of nail clippers because it was getting stuck pressing the button. .. took 1mm off and now or works great

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Used my Otter box hard after I trimmed the power button all day Saturday and Sunday. Worked great and the power button worked perfect.

Screen still clicking but learning to live with it I guess

rustyjar79

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Got my otterbox today as well, and can confirm the power button needs trimmed. After that, the case is just as awsome as my past defenders. There is a very small amount of travel on the screen protector but nothing that bothers me

Sent from my note 2 using Tapatalk 2

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Got mine today. At first I thought it made an already big phone, HUGE! But I'm used to it now. I didn't trim anything, it seems very useable as is.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Having had the OB Defender on my iPhone and GS3 I knew it was the case I wanted for this phone. I received it yesterday morning and my first impression is that it is too big and bulky. I bought the Platinum series case/holster from Best Buy to get me by and it is a lot less bulky.

I definitely like removing the built in screen protector and using something different unless you are prone to spilling things on your phone and want to keep the moisture away. I went with the SPG ultra this time, but have used Zagg in the past. The Ultra seems really clear and went on very easy.

I am going to hold on to the case from BB for a while in case I decide to go back to that one. It's the same as the Seidio Surface combo case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Updated review added via Youtube. Check OP for vid link-

BTW I rambled through thought the whole vid LOL wasnt planning on making it and literally just made it one night when i wnet to put the otterbox on my phone for the next day

Last edited:

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've always liked the look and color choices of Otterbox but their silicon has always stretched out after only a few months of use. It's great they send out replacement silicon all the time but after constant replacements on both the iPhone and S3 I got tired of it. No I don't constantly remove my case! Switched to Ballistic, maybe someday Otterbox will revise it's silicon formula or design and I'll switch back but until then Ballistic all the way.

Goldchamp

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've always liked the look and color choices of Otterbox but their silicon has always stretched out after only a few months of use. It's great they send out replacement silicon all the time but after constant replacements on both the iPhone and S3 I got tired of it. No I don't constantly remove my case! Switched to Ballistic, maybe someday Otterbox will revise it's silicon formula or design and I'll switch back but until then Ballistic all the way.

I do know with the iphone 5 otterboxes they do use a harder rubber. I had the same complaints as you but with the newer cases they are much better. Dunno bout the note 2 case tho :)