Global mode

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Every so often a popup appears on my GN2 labelled "Global Network" which asks "switch to global mode?" Does anyone know why that is happening and how I can stop it from happening again?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Every so often a popup appears on my GN2 labelled "Global Network" which asks "switch to global mode?" Does anyone know why that is happening and how I can stop it from happening again?

I think its because you hit a dead spot in data, the phone then thinks you are roaming out of the country and asks if you would like to try global setting.
try this, settings>more settings>wireless networks>Network mode>select LTE/CDMA

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Wait ... does this mean the Note 2 might become a global phone?

Verizon seems to have reneged on their promise to make the Rezound a global phone (officially). Would be nice if the N2 was global / unlocked for GSM outside the US.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Wait ... does this mean the Note 2 might become a global phone?

Verizon seems to have reneged on their promise to make the Rezound a global phone (officially). Would be nice if the N2 was global / unlocked for GSM outside the US.

Yeah it's global. It was an option to set it up for international calling when I preordered it

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it's global. It was an option to set it up for international calling when I preordered it

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Restricted to Verizon's global service, which is way too expensive?

Or, able to pop in a pre-paid SIM from a GSM carrier?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

I dont know, samsung site says it has GSM radios and Verizons site just says Global ready so i dont know enough to answer that question

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
In the past, VZW global phones would only work if you used VZW global service but if you called support and your account is in good standing for a period of time you could get an unlock code to enter to allow other SIM's to be used. Many recent VZW global phones are shipping unlocked but I do not know the status of the Note II. Try calling support.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I think its because you hit a dead spot in data, the phone then thinks you are roaming out of the country and asks if you would like to try global setting.
try this, settings>more settings>wireless networks>Network mode>select LTE/CDMA

I do have it on LTE?CDMA already. I think you are right about why it happens - it does seem to happen most when inside of a building where data connection might be weakest.

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm pretty sure it is unlocked so can accept a pre-paid sim from another carrier however the way it is programmed, it will not allow you to enter the APN information for other carriers. Without the APNs you would only be able to use the phone for voice on other networks, not data. I've been looking for a solution to that but have not found one other than rooting the GN2..

borgdog

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I do have it on LTE?CDMA already. I think you are right about why it happens - it does seem to happen most when inside of a building where data connection might be weakest.

It happens on mine every time I'm in the lower level of my school, no reception. It's damn annoying too, only way to shut it up is put it in global mode, which I assume would use more battery.

Dan

mariongiant

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I was at a Verizon store last week. I asked about global roaming. The sales people looked this up and told me definitely (they said) that the Note 2 will work on GSM networks in Europe. It will pick up whatever network has a contract with Verizon. This is contingent on calling Verizon before you leave and signing up for their overseas plan (100 mb for $25; another $25 if you go over that amount). At that point it's not unlocked, just working with Verizon as it does here. This is like their old overseas program, killed a couple of years ago, in which you paid $35 for unlimited data. I used that in Germany and Cyprus with great results. I asked about unlocking and using a local SIM card, and they got very vague. I also noticed that the phone offered no way to add an APN, though it's preloaded with a bunch of Verizon APNs. Maybe if you unlock it, that menu opens up. I don't think we'll know for sure until someone gets overseas and tries it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance