Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Encrypt device and external memory card

I have a question i have note amd it is encrypted my question is that possible fpr them to use it and do the hard reset to take out the encrypted passwprd

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question i have note amd it is encrypted my question is that possible fpr them to use it and do the hard reset to take out the encrypted passwprd

No. They need your password. Without that, there is no way to decrypt anything you have encrypted.

Advanced encryption works using a set of keys (not to be confused with your password). Your password is "hashed" into a set of encryption keys, which is used by the algorithm to encrypt the device. The hash is a one time thing - two people using the same password - say "password123" - will end up with a different "hash" used to encrypt their files. The end result is: If you wipe out those keys, you lose any chance of getting your data back, even if you use the same password. The keys will be different.

Quote Originally Posted by bigguy_132 View Post
    Interesting it does enforce it. I stand corrected. I didn't think it enforced it as well. However, my time out is a Max of 14 minutes. The one thing I did not have to do however was use a complex password. I have a PIN setup for my encryption no letters, special characters anything. Just digits. The same with my lock screen password. Just a PIN setup.
    Using an S4...but looks like the same issues.

This doesn't seem to be of great use.

First, the lockscreen and encryption pws must evidently be the same. That's annoying since screenlock needs unlocking constantly and the encryption only when the phone is booting after a power down. The encryption pw should be differentiated. Can it be, or am I right?

Second, the encryption only works if the phone is powered off. That's almost never. So, someone swipes my phone. All they have to get through is the screenlock. How does encryption much help? Why bother?

What am I missing? It sounded like a great security feature. It seems very insecure.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123