Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By o_dat1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    On the HTC-Thunderbolt this was possible "because of the eHRPD setting in the radio." Anybody know if this is an option on the GNote2?
  2. #2  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    Quote Originally Posted by pcbtmr View Post
    On the HTC-Thunderbolt this was possible "because of the eHRPD setting in the radio." Anybody know if this is an option on the GNote2?
    no it only works over wifi or LTE, sorry
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. #3  
    o_dat1's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    Yes you can and I know this because whiIe I was on a call, a Google Play update popped up. I was able to update the app without dropping the call. Plus I was in the car out and about not even connected to wifi. I haven't tried surfing the web though but will do and let you know. But like the above post said you must be connected to wifi or LTE.
  4. #4  
    jcastag's Avatar

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Skyraider 1.3

    Default Re: Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    no, as far as I know, HTC is the only one that has this ability. I loved it too on my TBolt and Rezound, missed it on my GNex
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    Quote Originally Posted by o_dat1 View Post
    Yes you can and I know this because whiIe I was on a call, a Google Play update popped up. I was able to update the app without dropping the call. Plus I was in the car out and about not even connected to wifi. I haven't tried surfing the web though but will do and let you know. But like the above post said you must be connected to wifi or LTE.
    Stop being misleading!!!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    Quote Originally Posted by pcbtmr View Post
    On the HTC-Thunderbolt this was possible "because of the eHRPD setting in the radio." Anybody know if this is an option on the GNote2?
    The Note 2 does not support SVDO (simultaneous voice and data over CDMA/3G) because it requires an extra radio in the phone or a dual transceiver setup which allows one radio to handle voice and the other data. The only phones on Verizon with such a setup are the Thunderbolt, Rezound and Galaxy S3. AnandTech has a good write up on this in their Thunderbolt review here: AnandTech - HTC Thunderbolt Review: The First Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

    The reason most newer phones don't have this setup is primarily because it's becoming less and less relevant the more Verizon rolls out LTE, which uses SVLTE (simultaneous voice and LTE) which the Note 2 does support. Also with a dual transceiver setup, there is probably a bit of extra hardware cost and a slight hit to battery drain (to power the extra radio). There is also the complexity of managing the two radios so they don't exceed FCC SAR requirements. Again, see the AnandTech article.
    Thanked by:
    pcbtmr 
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    Is that why the Thunderbolt had a massive terd for a battery?!!!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  
    o_dat1's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    Quote Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
    no, as far as I know, HTC is the only one that has this ability. I loved it too on my TBolt and Rezound, missed it on my GNex
  9. #9  
    o_dat1's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G

    Quote Originally Posted by Hail6 View Post
    Stop being misleading!!!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    How am I being misleading? If you are connected to LTE or WiFi, you can surf or use data while on a call. What's misleading about that? I do it all the time. Of course it will not work while connected to 3G...
    Last edited by o_dat1; 01-02-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    DroidXcon likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 03:54 PM
  2. Simultaneous voice and data over 3g
    By johnsonwcjw in forum LG Spectrum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 07:06 PM
  3. Simultaneous voice and data over 3G?
    By Mark_Venture in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 08:49 PM
  4. voice and data over 3G
    By randygsx in forum HTC EVO 3D
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
  5. Simultaneous voice and data over 3G
    By superlawyer15 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 12:01 AM

Posting Permissions