need advice from a guru

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I need some insight about my note 2.
Got it just under two weeks ago but it is acting weird.

Went up to nyc last night to visit, sightsee all the holiday decor and noticed that my signal, right in downtown mahnattan was either gone or was 3 g no 4g?
I rebooted and it dropped again. I did get 4g but it was for a very short period of time and weak..I was surprised being where I was it would do that.

Does this seem to be a defective device or defective sim? I figvured if it was a sim card it would not work at all.
I need to know what to try and if i should attempt to return it by thurs being within my 14 day return.

thanks for any insight

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So how is your signal at home? The signal in NYC could have been bad or maybe a few towers down. Up until last night it was working fine?

More details?

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
signal at home is pretty consistent. There are some dead spots but theyve been with every phone ive owned. Its tough to say , the signal did come back last night in nyc but was for the most part either weak or 3g. There was also a large portion of the night that I had no signal..at all because as I tried to upload pictures to fb, no data connection.
how can I determine if there was a tower issue? call verizon?

I do also notice that as soon as I unlock the phone, the camera pops up without me actually asking for it.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Is your device completely stock? Have you re-booted? You can always try a new SIM card and see if that helps.

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
yes I did a reset and yes it is completely stock. My question about the sim card is this though, if it were a bad or faulty card, would it connect at all or like anything else drop signals in major metropolican areas like nyc?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had issues with SIM cards before where they will work fine and then next minute have an issue and tell me I have no SIM installed or completely drop service. First thing that I would do is reseat the the SIM card and try it then. If that doesn't work, go to the store and get a new SIM card. If all else fails and you still have a problem, it could be your phone and you can get a replacement.

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I need some insight about my note 2.
Got it just under two weeks ago but it is acting weird.

Went up to nyc last night to visit, sightsee all the holiday decor and noticed that my signal, right in downtown mahnattan was either gone or was 3 g no 4g?
I rebooted and it dropped again. I did get 4g but it was for a very short period of time and weak..I was surprised being where I was it would do that.

Does this seem to be a defective device or defective sim? I figvured if it was a sim card it would not work at all.
I need to know what to try and if i should attempt to return it by thurs being within my 14 day return.

thanks for any insight

I live in NY and work in Manhattan.... Midtown can be notoriously finicky due to the building. And if you're in an area with lots of neon, be prepared to hop back and forth between 3/4G.

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
no kiddin, so the buildings do screw with the signals?
I was right near times square/ bus terminal and walked up toward central park.

I can understand signal fluctuating but is it normal to get no data at times?

pnico

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I have had issues with SIM cards before where they will work fine and then next minute have an issue and tell me I have no SIM installed or completely drop service. First thing that I would do is reseat the the SIM card and try it then. If that doesn't work, go to the store and get a new SIM card. If all else fails and you still have a problem, it could be your phone and you can get a replacement.

could a bad sim card cause this type of fluctuation not from 3/g to 4g but from 3g/4g to no data?

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
could a bad sim card cause this type of fluctuation not from 3/g to 4g but from 3g/4g to no data?

In that area it's very normal. I worked down there for years. It's pretty bad on 42nd from 8th Ave all the way down to Bryant Park. There are a # of large microwave towers on buildings in the area that I suspect my be at fault as well as the proliferation of NYP communications gear.

enfuego360

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
i work down town and had a great signal until a few weeks ago. apparently hurricane sandy screwed up towers down town and the data signals have been affected. this was confirmed by a verizon store manager that i asked.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I haven't experienced much issues with 4G connectivity in NY, but most I am in Manhatten. If you constantly are having issues though, I really would considering getting a new SIM card... can't hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy