1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need a screen protector???

Seeing it has gorilla glass, any reason to install a screen protector? Does one mess with the s pen?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Need a screen protector???

Quote Originally Posted by Easton091 View Post
    Seeing it has gorilla glass, any reason to install a screen protector? Does one mess with the s pen?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I got spigen Ultra crystal. after 2 or 3 days i had little scuffs i have know idea how they got there as i baby my phone. no it doesnt mess with functionality
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

I have a regular ZAGG Invisible Shield on mine & no issues w/ the S Pen. I have read on other sites that folks are having issues w/ the ZAGG HD version showing lines where they used their S Pen.

Global Posts
    828 Global Posts

I've had mine since release day and the screen is still perfect. I carry it in my pockets... generally I make sure it's the only thing in whatever pocket it's occupying though.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

ditto the above. I've dropped mine once and it landed on asphalt. So far, no scratches or nicks via normal wear. One of my huge gripes against the iPhone (and I owned 3! ) was that you couldn't carry or live with the damned thing unless it was in a case. My note 2 lives nekked and so far lives well

I'd get the spigen oleophobic or the ultra clear. The zagg hd was not good and the spen left marks on it. Even though it has gorilla glass 2 it will scratch when you least expect it. I've also heard that the dry installs are the best. Especially after the post from someone who had their note 2 damaged from a wet zagg install.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I ordered the spigen ultra off amazon. Seemed to have the best reviews

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm using the verizon dry applied screen protectors and love it. They feel just like the glass and don't interfere with the S Pen at all.

I used to use the heavier protectors in the past like Zagg etc and they all felt too grippy to me. I couldn't imagine how obnoxious that would make using the S Pen so there's no way no how I would use one of those.

But as to the title question of do you need a protector the answer is YES. Absolutely yes. You will get small scratches all over the screen in short time just from using the S Pen and it will bother the heck out of you. At least with a protector on you know that those little marks are not on your actual device and you'll feel a lot better. Get one on it asap.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

I got a Zagg anti reflective. It was horrible. It created a prism effect that seemed to reduce screen resolution. Ordered a Spigen. It was a model that does not require the protector to be wet before installtion. It came with two covers. Seems to be a hard surface. Does not mark as easy as a Zagg or my previous Spigen on my Galaxy Nexus.

The only problem is during installation with the new method you really have to make sure there is no dust. I mean none. My first try I got two dust specks. These leave what looks like a very small bubble underneath the cover. These do not go away. You have to lift the cover and remove the dust with a provided sticky tape. I am not complaining, just a different install method that once you are used to it seems easier. I think the reason why the small bubbles remain over the dust specks is the cover is quite hard and even a small speck of dust lifts it. So far so good. I really like this cover.

Here is one I would definitely recommend. It's low priced and it looks great in the pics. I shall get one soon.

Default Need a screen protector???

I just installed my SPG Ultra today I am impressed so far. I have been using Zagg exclusively for 2 - 3 years and have always been happy with them, but the s-pen issues I read about had me concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by jneusch View Post
    I just installed my SPG Ultra today I am impressed so far. I have been using Zagg exclusively for 2 - 3 years and have always been happy with them, but the s-pen issues I read about had me concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Installed mine yesterday with no problems. Read reviews on Amazon about it being hard to install. Got my first one on easily with no bubbles

Quote Originally Posted by Easton091 View Post
    Installed mine yesterday with no problems. Read reviews on Amazon about it being hard to install. Got my first one on easily with no bubbles

Compared to Zagg, this one was a piece of cake to put on. It literally took me 30 seconds with no bubbles or anything else. I think the trick is to make sure the glass is really clean and dust free first.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

No screen protector or case for me. I figure a phone manufacturer made their device for how it should be used. My Thunderbolt did just fine without a case and screen protector for the 18 months I used it. It got a few scuffs, but that's fine.

I love this phone!
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,011 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by phillthedrill View Post
    Here is one I would definitely recommend. It's low priced and it looks great in the pics. I shall get one soon.

I put this on my nexus and my ipad 2.....love it. much better then the zagg's I have been buying for years.

Here is a video of it on the Ipad.....love it on the nexus because it doesn't affect screen brightness at all:

I've never seen a protector that looked good or didn't feel like crap. I use the Samsung flip cover so it is protected when I'm not using it and perfect naked glass when I am using it.

ROM
    BAMF SoaB v1.04

I just ordered the SPG Ultra Crystal Clear. I used it on my old phone for about a year and a half and the screen is still like brand new. I cant even tell its on the screen.

I'm interested in that glass SPG screen protector though and might give it a shot when available.

Sent from my MONSTER using Tapatalk 2

I never saw a good reason not to use a screen protector with a phone. I'm using the mobc oleophobic from amazon and feels great with no interfering with the spen. Two of them for about ten dollars and I'd be hard pressed to think that the spigen is any better. I also figure it would help resale value down the road if I keep it from scratching and whatnot

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

I've always used a screen protector on my smartphones. I installed the screen protectors sold at the Verizon store and it works great. No issues when using the S Pen and no lines. I recommend using one ... if nothing else it will give you peace-of-mind knowing you have an extra layer of protection. It's one of those things that might bother you if it is not installed, but if you do install it (correctly) you might forget it's there.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

There's a lot of people who baby their phones on xda with both the s3 and note 2 who never thought about a screen protector. Then they looked in the light and saw tons of micro scratches... Like the other said, there isn't a good reason NOT to have one. The JLG feels great and looks great.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    There's a lot of people who baby their phones on xda with both the s3 and note 2 who never thought about a screen protector. Then they looked in the light and saw tons of micro scratches... Like the other said, there isn't a good reason NOT to have one. The JLG feels great and looks great.
    Yep exactly. I baby my Note 2 as well and I can see so many cuts all over my Verizon screen protector. It doesn't bother me at all though because I know it's on the protector and not my actual device.

But if I went cheap/lazy and thought "nah it has gorilla glass I don't need a protector" and saw my actual SCREEN look like this after just 2 weeks? Yeah I'd be super pissed at myself. I can't see anyone spending so much on such a high end piece of equipment just to neglect it and not care for it. Screen protectors aren't even expensive you can get a triple pack at Verizon for $10 and that will last you the life of the phone. No reason not to.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

I hadn't planned on putting one on when I got mine, but I ended up going with the Verizon one since I was able to get it for a discounted price.
    So far, so good.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2