How do I get notifications to make noise, and not vibrate when set to "sound"?

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
The whole notification end of this phone is more complicated than it needs to be...

So far, if I put it on vibrate and I don't have "vibrate" selected in the apps and emails, it doesn't do anything.

If I select vibrate in the apps and email and set it to "sound", it not only makes noise but also vibrates too.

Is there a way to have it make noise and not vibrate when set to sound? And conversely have it only vibrate when set to vibrate?

Here's my settings.

8280122661_bafa4c9c58_z.jpg

8280122513_7f0ff01842_z.jpg

8280122295_7483d079ee_z.jpg

8280122137_e6ca0553b3_z.jpg

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
You can generically but per app, no. The sound/vibrate/mute profile will only effect the notification and ringer volume. However if you have gmail set to vibrate then it will vibrate no matter what.

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
The issue I'm having is that if I leave gmail setting vibrate unchecked and I set the phone to vibrate, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong here? This seems like it should be pretty simple.

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The issue I'm having is that if I leave gmail setting vibrate unchecked and I set the phone to vibrate, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong here? This seems like it should be pretty simple.

If an app has its own notification settings (tone, sound, vibration, notification light) it will follow them. If an app does not have its own notification settings it will follow the system notification settings.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
So has anyone found a way to have the phone vibrate on a gmail notification when only set to vibrate? Versus it vibrating all the time whether set to sound or vibrate?

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
After looking at your settings, you clearly have vibration turned on. If you don't want your device to vibrate, turn off the vibration. I have my vibration settings turned off, and guess what? My phone doesn't vibrate...

Sent from my Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

deputydog95

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
The problem is. It either vibrates all the time, or doesn't vibrate at all. I don't want it to vibrate when the sound is on. Just when set to vibrate. Even the ifail has a simple switch that allows you switch all audible notifications to vibrate.

I don't understand why this phone can't do that..... Why would I want it to vibrate when the sound is on. So dumb.... This makes me miss my blackberry at times....

ctgolf

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Not to get too far off topic, but I'm having a problem getting my standard Email (not Gmail) to notify me with either a vibration or a sound. Neither one of them work. And I've got all my settings in the email and in Settings set to vibrate and ring for all notifications (just to see if I can figure out whats wrong). Nothing is working. The more I read the more it seems this is a Jelly Bean issue...

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
The problem is. It either vibrates all the time, or doesn't vibrate at all. I don't want it to vibrate when the sound is on. Just when set to vibrate. Even the ifail has a simple switch that allows you switch all audible notifications to vibrate.

I don't understand why this phone can't do that..... Why would I want it to vibrate when the sound is on. So dumb.... This makes me miss my blackberry at times....

Most custom ROMs have customizable toggle actions. The one I'm using does... I can toggle all notifications to sound only/vibrate only/sound + vibrate. One of the awesome things about Android... Infinite customizations. If you don't like something about your phone, or its operation, more than likely someone has already figured out a way for you to make it the way you want it. Rooting is the first step... Once your phone is rooted, you can do just about anything with it

Sent from my SGS2 Skyrocket w/ Tapatalk 2

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Not to get too far off topic, but I'm having a problem getting my standard Email (not Gmail) to notify me with either a vibration or a sound. Neither one of them work. And I've got all my settings in the email and in Settings set to vibrate and ring for all notifications (just to see if I can figure out whats wrong). Nothing is working. The more I read the more it seems this is a Jelly Bean issue...

I'm not having email issues at all w/ JB. But I'm not using Gmail or the native email app. I've deleted both, actually. AquaMail is awesome... Never gives me an ounce of trouble. And looks a lot better than Gmail, too LOL

Sent from my SGS2 Skyrocket w/ Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech