Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jamdroid2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New to the Smartphone world, what's next?

First off, thanks to all of you here who have expressed your opinions, good or bad, on the Note 2. And thanks to member "kxs783kms" for mentioning the price on Let'sTalk.com, with a special thanks to member "tooter123" for suggesting price matching at Best Buy. It took visits to 2 separate stores to get one for my wife and I. We both wanted Gray; our local store had only 1 left (Grey) and the next closest store had one left (White), so she had to "settle".

So, now that we can at least tell whose is whose, what do we do next? We're both complete novices with Smartphones and it seems unfair to lean too heavily on our kids, lol. can any of you suggest a good place to start off in learning our device and what, if any, accessories we should get, bearing in mind we're not looking to deplete our life savings any further

We did get a good deal, I think - $180 for each out the door.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: New to the Smartphone world, what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by jamdroid2 View Post
    First off, thanks to all of you here who have expressed your opinions, good or bad, on the Note 2. And thanks to member "kxs783kms" for mentioning the price on Let'sTalk.com, with a special thanks to member "tooter123" for suggesting price matching at Best Buy. It took visits to 2 separate stores to get one for my wife and I. We both wanted Gray; our local store had only 1 left (Grey) and the next closest store had one left (White), so she had to "settle".

So, now that we can at least tell whose is whose, what do we do next? We're both complete novices with Smartphones and it seems unfair to lean too heavily on our kids, lol. can any of you suggest a good place to start off in learning our device and what, if any, accessories we should get, bearing in mind we're not looking to deplete our life savings any further

We did get a good deal, I think - $180 for each out the door.
    That is an amazing deal. I paid $345 for my upgrade. As for a good place to start I always find the Samsung how to videos are the best place to start
    Use the filter to Verizon phones then note 2 and there are a bunch of good how to videos. Congrats and welcome

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks DroidXcon (ha ha, I just got the pun in your nickname - it took typing it to sink in!). Not surprising you'd be the first to reply. Being from a somewhat "older" generation I prefer written supplements to vids, plus being at work now kind of limits what I can comfortably do. I'll check out the Samsung site tonite when I intend to register to get in on the 50% off accessory deal, assuming it's still going. Speaking of which, is it also necessary to register my phone on vzw.com or is that only for support stuff?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Thanks DroidXcon (ha ha, I just got the pun in your nickname - it took typing it to sink in!). Not surprising you'd be the first to reply. Being from a somewhat "older" generation I prefer written supplements to vids, plus being at work now kind of limits what I can comfortably do. I'll check out the Samsung site tonite when I intend to register to get in on the 50% off accessory deal, assuming it's still going. Speaking of which, is it also necessary to register my phone on vzw.com or is that only for support stuff?
    Why is it not surprising lol. I spend too much time on here I guess lol. (I'm still in bed, should be sleeping for work) you don't need to sign up for vzw. Com, I never have. Samsung site also has written tutorials in their support section. Let us know what features you're interested in and how you think you will utilize your device and maybe we can steer you in the right direction. :thumbup:

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

That's an amazing price! I wish I had the patience to wait a couple weeks.

If it helps you, I do gadget reviews with an emphasis on Galaxy Note 2 compatibility. I usually have video and picture supplements, but I always have a written review to go into detail. You can check out past reviews here:

If you'd like you can subscribe to that page, I will have reviews coming out most everyday through the holidays. I cover cases, audio accessories, I'll have a couple extended batteries, and other quirky stuff that compliments the note 2. Here's a fun place to start, it's an accessory called the flygrip and it is made for our large phone:

XDA developers is a great reasource also, but things can get very technical. There is a lot you can do with this phone to improve the software, but it can be dangerous if you don't completely read and understand instructions.

welcome to the club!

For the most video info on the Note 2, look up LucidMike78 on YouTube. He has TONS of Note 2 videos!!

Quote Originally Posted by jodyberry View Post
    For the most video info on the Note 2, look up LucidMike78 on YouTube. He has TONS of Note 2 videos!!
    is that the "daily note 2" guy? That guys has a lot of info on the note 2.

There actually is a Samsung Noteb2 app in the Google Play store. Pretty decent too. Walks you through a lot of things on the phone. And I have been using the forums here since I had a Palm Pre nd then moved to the original Droid. Very helpful.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Android Central Forums.
    Since 2008: HTC Wing>Sidekick 3>Sidekick Slide>Sidekick LX 2009>Palm Pre>Blackberry Curve 8330>Motorola Droid>HTC Thunderbolt>Razr Maxx>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

I'd highly recommend reviewing the device manual from Verizon and Samsung's site (links below). The Samsung site also has a simulator.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I'd highly recommend reviewing the device manual from Verizon and Samsung's site (links below). The Samsung site also has a simulator.

I thought the simulator was for those who hadn't already purchased the Note 2. How wrong I was! With apologies to Bogart, Synycalwon, I think this (the simulator) is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
    Synycalwon likes this.