[How to] edit apps for use with multi window.

rlt9999

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, I had read the manual that was included in the APK Multi-Tool and was already editing my system path.When all else fails, RTFB. I haven't had to edit a path since MSDOS 3.3 and that's a long time ago! Just for reference for mine I had to add C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin

BTW, I use Norton Internet Security and it's never had a problem with java but I've used others that did.

Myburgh Nel

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey Im busy writing most of my apps to do this and I got to say thanks poolshark!!!! I really appreciate it a lot!!! Im really enjoying running my favorite apps in dual view. I just want to know if there is a way to stop the script from closing immediately after pressing nine to decompile? Cause I dont really like doing it the manual way. Also, how could I do this with system apps like S memo, Playstore, or My files? Thanks a lot

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Im busy writing most of my apps to do this and I got to say thanks poolshark!!!! I really appreciate it a lot!!! Im really enjoying running my favorite apps in dual view. I just want to know if there is a way to stop the script from closing immediately after pressing nine to decompile? Cause I dont really like doing it the manual way. Also, how could I do this with system apps like S memo, Playstore, or My files? Thanks a lot

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The script isn't mine. I found no way around the decompile failure until I tried it manually.
Option 9 failed on me so many times I stopped using the script.

At the time the method was introduced to Note 2 users, gmail and youtube were system apps, the process worked for them.

But you need root to get to the system apps. If you have root you don't need this method, just install the mod for all apps.
If you unlocked the bootloader, there is a multi window control mod that is flashed in recovery. That's the method I use now.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
For say Chrome I can decompile it, along with Gmail, but I had to do the manual decompling because using the program to do it didn't work.. it closed out. If I can get it to decompile manually, is there a way to recompile it manually via the command prompt? For the path I went to the actual C: drive to the java folder opened it up till I got to bin, copied that address (which is different from what's found in CLASSPATH for java.. is that wrong to do? When I tried to use the path from CLASSPATH to put it into the path section, I couldn't get anywhere with this process. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
There are manual recompile instructions in the guide.

Uh where? I followed it and for recompiling I thought he just referred BACK to using the script which didn't work for me.. He gives a manual way to decompile using the command prompt, but doesn't give a manual way to use the command prompt to recompile. The only instructions I see to recompile is to use the Script.bat file. I'm looking for a way to manually recompile using the command prompt, unless someone can let me know what I'm missing/why it's not working using the Script.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Uh where? I followed it and for recompiling I thought he just referred BACK to using the script which didn't work for me.. He gives a manual way to decompile using the command prompt, but doesn't give a manual way to use the command prompt to recompile. The only instructions I see to recompile is to use the Script.bat file. I'm looking for a way to manually recompile using the command prompt, unless someone can let me know what I'm missing/why it's not working using the Script.

Right under the decompile instructions using the manual method.

To decompile the apk type:
apktool d -s --no-src mms.apk (mms is the file name used in this example).
When the app has been decompiled it will look like the following:
I: Copying raw classes.dex file...
I: Loading resource table...
I: Loaded.
I: Decoding AndroidManifest.xml with resources...
I: Loading resource table from file: C:\Users\js\apktool\framework\1.apk
I: Decoding file-resources...
I: Decoding values */* XMLs...
I: Done.
I: Copying assets and libs...

You will now have a folder with the named mms (mms is the apk file used in this example) inside "desktop\apk-multi-toolv1.0.10\apk-multi-tool\other".
Now you can perform the same steps as above to modify the xml file.
After saving the xml file, go back to the command line and recompile the apk by typing the following:
apktool b mms (mms is just the example used here).

If the app compiles successfully you will see the following:
I: Copying classes.dex file...
I: Checking whether resources has changed...
I: Building resources...
I: Building apk file...

If the app does not recompile successfully this app cannot be used.

After successfully compiling the app, you now have to sign the apk file in order to install it onto your device.
The apk you'll need to sign is located in the "desktop\apk-multi-toolv1.0.10\apk-multi-tool\other\mms\dist" folder. mms is only the file name used in this example.
You can move this file up to the "other" folder.

To sign the apk file, type the following:

java -jar SignApk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 "mms.apk" signed.mms.apk (mms is only the file name used in this example).

You should now have a properly signed apk modified to work with multi-view.
You can now transfer the signed_.apk file to your device to be installed. The previous version of the app must be uninstalled first.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Right under the decompile instructions using the manual method.

To decompile the apk type:
apktool d -s --no-src mms.apk (mms is the file name used in this example).
When the app has been decompiled it will look like the following:
I: Copying raw classes.dex file...
I: Loading resource table...
I: Decoding AndroidManifest.xml with resources...
I: Loading resource table from file: C:\Users\js\apktool\framework\1.apk
I: Decoding file-resources...
I: Decoding values */* XMLs...
I: Done.
I: Copying assets and libs...

You will now have a folder with the named mms (mms is the apk file used in this example) inside "desktop\apk-multi-toolv1.0.10\apk-multi-tool\other".
Now you can perform the same steps as above to modify the xml file.
After saving the xml file, go back to the command line and recompile the apk by typing the following:
apktool b mms (mms is just the example used here).

If the app compiles successfully you will see the following:
I: Copying classes.dex file...
I: Checking whether resources has changed...
I: Building resources...
I: Building apk file...

If the app does not recompile successfully this app cannot be used.

After successfully compiling the app, you now have to sign the apk file in order to install it onto your device.
The apk you'll need to sign is located in the "desktop\apk-multi-toolv1.0.10\apk-multi-tool\other\mms\dist" folder. mms is only the file name used in this example.
You can move this file up to the "other" folder.

To sign the apk file, type the following:

java -jar SignApk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 "mms.apk" signed.mms.apk (mms is only the file name used in this example).

You should now have a properly signed apk modified to work with multi-view.
You can now transfer the signed_.apk file to your device to be installed. The previous version of the app must be uninstalled first.

Lol wow I'm blind.. wth. Sorry about that.. Thank you so much! I successfully recompiled a signed Chrome browser app for my Galaxy Note 2!!!! Woohoo Happy New Year!:) Had three questions. Think it's a stupid question perhaps, but now that it's signed, can I rename the file to whatever I'd like or does it need to say signed.Chrome_18.0.1025469 for it to work? Also if an update comes out, do we know for certain the update won't work, where we will have to uninstall it, do this work on the new update again or have some reported the update working while retaining the ability to use it in Multiview? Lastly what sort of spaces do we need when adding the code to the xml file? Do we paste the code RIGHT after say the > or does there need to be a space.. likewise with the /category one, do we need a space between the beginning of that < and the last part of the code or is it ok that they meet like so ><? Seems like it properly was able to process the beginning code, but when it got to the last part of it it had problems I'm thinking due to the way the code is spaced. Thanks again so much! Happy New Year!

EDIT: Update.. even though the Chrome one worked via the process, I can't seem to get it to add to the Multiview pane on the left side.. tried to drag it from the App tray, from a shortcut on a homescreen.. nothing seems to work.. am I missing something?

Last edited:

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Lol wow I'm blind.. wth. Sorry about that.. Thank you so much! I successfully recompiled a signed Chrome browser app for my Galaxy Note 2!!!! Woohoo Happy New Year!:) Had three questions. Think it's a stupid question perhaps, but now that it's signed, can I rename the file to whatever I'd like or does it need to say signed.Chrome_18.0.1025469 for it to work? Also if an update comes out, do we know for certain the update won't work, where we will have to uninstall it, do this work on the new update again or have some reported the update working while retaining the ability to use it in Multiview? Lastly what sort of spaces do we need when adding the code to the xml file? Do we paste the code RIGHT after say the > or does there need to be a space.. likewise with the /category one, do we need a space between the beginning of that < and the last part of the code or is it ok that they meet like so ><? Seems like it properly was able to process the beginning code, but when it got to the last part of it it had problems I'm thinking due to the way the code is spaced. Thanks again so much! Happy New Year!

EDIT: Update.. even though the Chrome one worked via the process, I can't seem to get it to add to the Multiview pane on the left side.. tried to drag it from the App tray, from a shortcut on a homescreen.. nothing seems to work.. am I missing something?

You can name the file whatever you like.

The modified apps will not take updates due to the incorrect signature. If you want the update you will have to uninstall the modified app and install the app from the play store. If you want to use the updated app in multi view you will have to repeat the process, unless the developer added support.

You can uninstall the app just like any other app, either from the app drawer or from settings.

You paste the first line below the line shown and the other lines above the line shown.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
You can name the file whatever you like.

The modified apps will not take updates due to the incorrect signature. If you want the update you will have to uninstall the modified app and install the app from the play store. If you want to use the updated app in multi view you will have to repeat the process, unless the developer added support.

You can uninstall the app just like any other app, either from the app drawer or from settings.

You paste the first line below the line shown and the other lines above the line shown.

Awesome thank you. Have no problem installing or uninstalling and redoing the process for newer updated apps but do you happen to know why even though Chrome was decompiled and recompiled with signature correctly it for some reason can't be added to the Multiview pane?:( Is there a certain way to add them to multiview that I'm not aware of?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Awesome thank you. Have no problem installing or uninstalling and redoing the process for newer updated apps but do you happen to know why even though Chrome was decompiled and recompiled with signature correctly it for some reason can't be added to the Multiview pane?:( Is there a certain way to add them to multiview that I'm not aware of?

Did you check to see if chrome was in the edit pane?
Some of the apps go into the bar automatically, others go into the edit pane, and others just don't show, but they still work.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Others had chrome in the bar. Check the credits link in the OP. I think they had a working chrome there.

Hmm yea I see that. I downloaded what was made available, but I kind feel better about it and more secure if I could figure out how to do it myself. Oh one other thing I was wondering was why it does a ping check when you try to get the Script working? Seems kind of odd to need an internet connection no?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Hmm yea I see that. I downloaded what was made available, but I kind feel better about it and more secure if I could figure out how to do it myself. Oh one other thing I was wondering was why it does a ping check when you try to get the Script working? Seems kind of odd to need an internet connection no?

Security is the reason I started making my own.
The script isn't mine, I can't answer that.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Security is the reason I started making my own.
The script isn't mine, I can't answer that.

My antivirus said it was a very low level threat, as in not harmful, but still.. isn't that kind of strange? Like do you ever wonder why would it need internet connection to work?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois