Anyone paying for wireless hotspot feature?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyone paying Verizon the extra $30 monthly to use your Note 2 for the wifi hotspot feature? If so, works well? I'm considering doing this in order to delete my Comcast internet service at $49 monthly. $49 monthly to pay Comcast is too much, considering this is for their lowest speed data plan. If I had the wifi hotspot feature activated on my Note 2, I can simply turn this feature on in order to use my other devices wirelessly at home. Even if I choose to add this extra cost of $30 monthly to pay Verizon, I would end up saving about $20 monthly by cutting out the Comcast internet fee.

I already recently deleted my basic Comcast television service at approx $25 monthly. Instead, I'm now using a Terk amplified TV antenna that I bought from Best Buy and I now get approx 30+ channels for free over the air. I actually get a number of channels (including some hi-def) using this Terk amplified TV antenna that I never got from my paid Comcast basic plan. Only main drawback is I don't get channels 3 and 6 using the Terk antenna, I'm guessing because those stations are located too far away? Anyway, I figure since I already got rid of my Comcast television monthly fee, why stop there, and just go ahead and also delete my internet service too so I can entirely cancel my Comcast monthly bill?

By the way, I already use Easy Tether Pro on my Note 2 phone tethered to my laptop for the occasional internet access while on the go. I'm simply considering alternatives for wireless internet access while at home for convenience.

Awhile back, when I first bought my Verizon Thunderbolt phone, I had activated the wireless hotspot feature on the Thunderbolt and it worked great! Only drawback is that it sucked up battery life even faster. Does anyone know if I were to use the Note 2 wifi hotspot feature, would that prevent me from making phone calls? Or can I use the hotspot feature and make phone calls at the same time because I have 4G LTE in my area? I seem to recall my old Thunderbolt phone could do both simultaneously.

Thanks, Casey

fwhomeboy

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Anyone paying Verizon the extra $30 monthly to use your Note 2 for the wifi hotspot feature? If so, works well? I'm considering doing this in order to delete my Comcast internet service at $49 monthly. $49 monthly to pay Comcast is too much, considering this is for their lowest speed data plan. If I had the wifi hotspot feature activated on my Note 2, I can simply turn this feature on in order to use my other devices wirelessly at home. Even if I choose to add this extra cost of $30 monthly to pay Verizon, I would end up saving about $20 monthly by cutting out the Comcast internet fee.

I already recently deleted my basic Comcast television service at approx $25 monthly. Instead, I'm now using a Terk amplified TV antenna that I bought from Best Buy and I now get approx 30+ channels for free over the air. I actually get a number of channels (including some hi-def) using this Terk amplified TV antenna that I never got from my paid Comcast basic plan. Only main drawback is I don't get channels 3 and 6 using the Terk antenna, I'm guessing because those stations are located too far away? Anyway, I figure since I already got rid of my Comcast television monthly fee, why stop there, and just go ahead and also delete my internet service too so I can entirely cancel my Comcast monthly bill?

By the way, I already use Easy Tether Pro on my Note 2 phone tethered to my laptop for the occasional internet access while on the go. I'm simply considering alternatives for wireless internet access while at home for convenience.

Awhile back, when I first bought my Verizon Thunderbolt phone, I had activated the wireless hotspot feature on the Thunderbolt and it worked great! Only drawback is that it sucked up battery life even faster. Does anyone know if I were to use the Note 2 wifi hotspot feature, would that prevent me from making phone calls? Or can I use the hotspot feature and make phone calls on the same time because I have 4G LTE in my area? I seem to recall my old Thunderbolt phone could do both simultaneously.

Thanks, Casey

I still use it on my Thunderbolt but tomorrow I get my Note 2 and I think I'll be keeping it going.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Why not just root the phone and use free wifi tether. With the app you can be rooted under 30 seconds. Then get trevE tether app and be done

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I got the shared everything plan and it included hotspot. I use it quite often at home. Works pretty good. Use it for bittorent and surfing. I am hesistant to use it for gaming but casual stuff seems okay.

This phone is suppose to be able to do 4g lte and phone calls at same time but I've never tried it.

alvarez13

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Pay for hot spot? Hahahahaha!

I have unlimited data with rooted wifi tether. I got up to 18 gb last month when I was on business and let everyone on our hotel floor jump on for work. I can just picture the verizon guy with glasses spitting his coffee all over his computer screen. Kiss it Big Red!

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
i was under the impression its free to tether on the note 2 on vzw.

Tethering IS free IF you have a non-unlimited plan. Basically unlimited users are grandfathered into unlimited and off of free tethering. I'm personally using hotspot toggle. It activates the native hotspot app without that pesky subscription. Works like a charm.

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Tethering IS free IF you have a non-unlimited plan. Basically unlimited users are grandfathered into unlimited and off of free tethering. I'm personally using hotspot toggle. It activates the native hotspot app without that pesky subscription. Works like a charm.

yeah i got family share. it works fine for me 6gb a month i saved high 30ish per month from when i dropped unlimited. i used to use pda net and or the hack on the htc ##778 something something in the past for many years. prior to the note

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't imagine getting rid of my home Internet. It's faster for one plus that's not what a cell phone was designed for. Besides the obvious reasons of more money, and the mis guided use is part of the reason every carrier throttles and killed unlimited data.
Probably why 4g sucks so bad everywhere I go.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the share everything plan so its part of it for me. If you are rooted you can get a hotspot/tether app from the market or load up a custom ROM that has it built in.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i've got unlimited data and foxfi works great. been using it for quite a while now and it just works......i paid $7 for the full app and worth every penny

Eggshen

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I use a widget called, "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot Widget". Just search that in the app store and then you add this to your home screen as a widget. I've been using on the last two phones including this one and never had a problem. No need to root either.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Foxfi works great too

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Holy crapahola! I had seen the name Foxfi mentioned a few times here and there and I didn't know what that was. I thought maybe it was a name of a rooting ROM. By chance, I entered Foxfi in the Google Play store, read the description which sounds good, then downloaded the free version. Then BAM! I had free wireless wifi emitting a signal from my Note 2, wow!! My laptop immediately recognized the signal and locked onto it no problem! I was so pleased that I immediately paid the $6.97 for the full upgrade version. Hot d@mn, this is freakin great!! The h@ll with paying Verizon an extra $30 monthly, haha!! I'll be using Foxfi now instead of Easy Tether Pro for tethering!

EDIT: Even better, I was able to surf the internet and playing YouTube videos while making a phone call at the same time on my Note 2 ! 4G LTE goodness at its best!

Casey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze