Battery help

bandit4

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello.
Got the Note 2 last week and have been loving it.
Just a small issue. I kep reading how everyone is having this amazing battery life. Not sure if I am getting the same results.
Since I gotr the Note 2 I have had GPS off, screen at 100% non auto , dynamic mode, no mobile data, wi-fi on, bluetooth on and power saving off.
Battery drains pretty fast with nomal usage ( texting, speaker phone calls )
I installed GSam batter monitor to see what was using the most power. it said screen 41.8%, phone 2.8, phone radio 1.5 and everything else was under 1%.
Today I downloaded Juice Defender to see if that would do anything. I charged the phone to 100% at 9am this morning. I made 2 30 minute speaker phone calls and a few texts went out. BY 11:15AM the battery was down to 86%. Is this normal. Might I have a defective battery?

I decided to turn on power saving and i set the screen brightness to auto. I love the screen at 100% and non auto. If that is what is killing my battery, I will just have to live with it.

Also. I chrged the phone to 100% last night at 12am. I shut the sound off, gps off, bluetooth on, mobile data on, wi fi on, screen 100% non auto. I went to bed. No calls or texts were missed. Woke up and checked the phone at 6 am. Battery down to 90%.

Everything is stock. non rooted. Live wallpaper.

Any help would be apprecited!
Thanks!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello.
Just a small issue. I kep reading how everyone is having this amazing battery life. Not sure if I am getting the same results.
Since I gotr the Note 2 I have had GPS off, screen at 100% non auto , dynamic mode, no mobile data, wi-fi on, bluetooth on and power saving off.
I installed GSam batter monitor to see what was using the most power. it said screen 41.8%, phone 2.8, phone radio 1.5 and everything else was under 1%.
Today I downloaded Juice Defender to see if that would do anything. I charged the phone to 100% at 9am this morning. I made 2 30 minute speaker phone calls and a few texts went out. BY 11:15AM the battery was down to 86%. Is this normal. Might I have a defective battery?

I decided to turn on power saving and i set the screen brightness to auto. I love the screen at 100% and non auto. If that is what is killing my battery, I will just have to live with it.

Also. I chrged the phone to 100% last night at 12am. I shut the sound off, gps off, bluetooth on, mobile data on, wi fi on, screen 100% non auto. I went to bed. No calls or texts were missed. Woke up and checked the phone at 6 am. Battery down to 90%.

Thanks!

Would you please screen shot a days use? Thanks for helping us help you.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Johnly, I also tried juice defender and the log showed all error messages. Is it not compatible with rooted devices?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I would say having the screen at 100% for 30 minutes would KILL your battery easily. I keep it on auto and its pretty solid. I don't think even in the brightest rooms my screen doesn't go up to 100%. Is there a need a that you have to have it set to 100% or just personal preference?

bandit4

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I just like the way it looks with the screen bright and on dynamic. If thats the issue w my battery then thats no problem. I will either put it in power saving mode or brightness on auto. Or I will just charge it whenever I have to. I just wanted to make sure I didnt have a bad battery. I guess everyone else isnt leaving it on 100% . Thanks for the help and reply!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just like the way it looks with the screen bright and on dynamic. If thats the issue w my battery then thats no problem. I will either put it in power saving mode or brightness on auto. Or I will just charge it whenever I have to. I just wanted to make sure I didnt have a bad battery. I guess everyone else isnt leaving it on 100% . Thanks for the help and reply!

Try the auto-brightness and see how you fare with that. If you find that you need or really want the brightness way up you can change it be aware that you will be eating through batter quicker than if you are on auto.

Live wallpaper? Whyyy?

This is a big thing too, again especially with brightness all the way up.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
On the surface it sounds like the display eating battery more than anything. Live wallpaper also uses a bit more battery and resources, but really only when the screen is on. Do you have multiple apps updating weather or something like that? I kept adding weather apps trying to find one that I liked and I ended up with 5 of them all syncing weather at various times.

As a comparison, I am running GO Weather animated live wallpaper, nothing turned off, no power saving mode, but screen turned to auto and I would consider my battery life very good. In fact, much better than the GS3, but not a good as the Razr Maxx HD I tried for a week.

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is awesome now, first cycle was so-so. I keep screen backed down to about 70% now and on manual (no auto bright). No live wallpaper now although I've used it in the past and it isn't that big of a drain. I leave GPS and wi-fi on all the time just because I'm lazy. At this point, I can use my phone heavily all day and not even really concern myself with battery life. I'm going over a day and a half on average before I hit 5% left and have to recharge.

bandit4

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback!
I turned off the live wallpaper, gps, mobile data and power saving mode.
I cant get myself to turn the brightness down or turn on 'auto'. I just love the way the screen looks on full bright. Colors pop and everything looks great. If it means battery drain, then I will just have to live with it.
As for a weather app that keeps refreshing...I am using the stock clock/weather widget. I have had it off charge since 10am and I am down to 60%. Feels like it got better today with the tweaks.
I will charge it again tonight to 100% and take it off charge at 12am. Thats the one thing that bothered me. from 12 am to 7 am this morning I lost 10% charge and I didnt use the phone or get any texts or calls in the middle of the night. We'll see what happens tonight.

bandit4

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
One thing I do have to ask. I have an Ipad 3 and I use the ipad 3 usb wall charger to charge my note 2. Does it natter if I dont use the Samsung charger?

fyrekraker

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
One setting that seemed to help me is settings> spen> battery saving. It prevents the phone from looking for the pen until it's removed.

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
One thing I do have to ask. I have an Ipad 3 and I use the ipad 3 usb wall charger to charge my note 2. Does it natter if I dont use the Samsung charger?

I don't think it makes a hill of beans' worth of difference - if the phone is charging normally then go for it. I would say "USB is USB" but I've learned that Apple does something different than a standard USB port I believe.

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello.

Thanks!

Forget Juice Defender. Try this instead. Works for me. (besides turning on the Power Saving mode)

bandit4

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Okay. So I tried all the suggestions that everyone posted and i charged the phone to 100% last night at 1am. I woke up this morning at 730am and it was at 98% much better. Thanks to all!

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is mine. Minus facebook being high I think all looks okay?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356246098131.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356246098131.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 29

Ghetto_Cowgirl

May 17, 2011
Visit site
aga7y2ez.jpg

Screen on brightest, no auto ticked. About 2 hours of screen on time because I didn't use it a whole lot that day. I am a Facebook junkie though so I checked that a lot through the day plus a lot of texting and a couple voice calls. Mind you I didn't get that good a battery life until a couple of charging cycles. My question would probably be, are you in a low service area? Perhaps it's draining a lot from looking for a signal? Perhaps a bad app that isn't showing in the battery monitor as a drain? Or maybe a couple apps are set to sync to often. I have Facebook set to check every hour and same with email. Weather is set to check every 6 hours. Just my couple of suggestions.
Oh and I do have a live wallpaper on it at all times, who can resist an awesome christmasy wallpaper with floating baubles and snow!
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Comparing mine above yours cowgirl my battery is a pos. Haha. I find it amazing how you are over 24 hours with half a battery. Do you use an app killer? Any battery saving apps?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Nightscape

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is on par with everyone else but to me this is 10x better than my last pos and better than any phone I've had before. I'm completely satisfied.
Screen on auto set at about 80% brightness.
Screenshot_2012-12-10-19-38-28.png

Screenshot_2012-12-10-19-38-34.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star