1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default When you put the phone to your ear, does the screen turn off? Mine doesn't...

Anybody know what might be going on? I'm trying to figure out if there's a setting for this or if my sensor is broken.

ROM
    Stock

Mine does this when I'm on the phone and I go to the home screen or anything other than the phone app itself. It appears that the proximity sensor only works when you have the phone app open and not when you are on a call but on a different screen.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: When you put the phone to your ear, does the screen turn off? Mine doesn't...

Do you have the flip cover too by any chance? I got one and it never turns the screen off... ever.

Default Re: When you put the phone to your ear, does the screen turn off? Mine doesn't...

I just hate when ending a call the screen remains dark and you have to press power or home to awake it and then go into phone and hang up. Unless of course they hang up first.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Rooted VZW Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post
    I just hate when ending a call the screen remains dark and you have to press power or home to awake it and then go into phone and hang up. Unless of course they hang up first.
    I very much so can give a +1 to this sentiment. Very annoying how long it takes for the screen to light up when it's time to hang up. To counter it if i sense the conversation is coming to an end I simply move the phone away from my ear enough so the screen goes on automatically this way when we say our goodbyes it's already on.

But yeah this screen takes a long time to turn on, I don't know why.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

I had one on my s3 and it did not turn the phone off. I do not on my note 2 though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    I very much so can give a +1 to this sentiment. Very annoying how long it takes for the screen to light up when it's time to hang up. To counter it if i sense the conversation is coming to an end I simply move the phone away from my ear enough so the screen goes on automatically this way when we say our goodbyes it's already on.

But yeah this screen takes a long time to turn on, I don't know why.
    Will try this!! Thanks for the idea

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMasters View Post
    Do you have the flip cover too by any chance? I got one and it never turns the screen off... ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo591 View Post
    I had one on my s3 and it did not turn the phone off. I do not on my note 2 though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    If you have a flip cover on your phone. This is a MUST have app. It turns your phone screen off and on SUPER quick. A lot faster than pushing any button.

MUST HAVE APP to go with your flip cover.

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post

There is a setting in the phone menu that allows you to use the power button to end a call. You can also answer with the home button, thus eliminating the need to swipe. It's a very nice option.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by fyrekraker View Post
    There is a setting in the phone menu that allows you to use the power button to end a call. You can also answer with the home button, thus eliminating the need to swipe. It's a very nice option.
    Brilliant post! Thank you
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

So wait, is there any way using the phone itself to make sure the sensor is working without having to download an app? I'm probably going to do it anyway, but I'd like to know just for the hell of it. It really doesn't seem to function at all.

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

Open the phone app and call anyone. Without putting the phone up to your ear, use your finger to cover the proximity sensor and see if the screen turns off.

My phone screen turns off almost instantaneously.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I had this issue all week. I hit power and restart and it's working as usual again...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

It didn't work once until you told me to try it again. Thanks man, all's good now

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Turn Smart screen on. That may help.