1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Number pad dims and becomes inactive during calls

My wife just got a Note II. The number pad will dim while she is using it on a call that requires numeric entries after the call is connected. The problem never occurs while dialing, only after the call is connected. For example when she is trying to log into her voice mail and she tries to enter her numeric password after being connected to voice mail. Another example would be calling the pharmacy for a refill and must enter the prescription number. She will begin entering the number sequence and suddenly the number pad goes dark before she enters all the numbers. When this happens, the receiving end apparently interprets this as the end of the number sequence and responds as if it is an incorrect password sequence. All the usual fixes have failed, removing battery, hard reset, etc. This is the second Note II. She sent the first one back with the exact same problem. It seems unlikely to me that two new phones would show up with exactly the same issue. Tech support has been patient but no help at all. This is understandably pissing her off and I'm paying the price with her crabby-ness.
    Ideas anyone?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default Re: Number pad dims and becomes inactive during calls

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Yunk View Post
    My wife just got a Note II. The number pad will dim while she is using it on a call that requires numeric entries after the call is connected. The problem never occurs while dialing, only after the call is connected. For example when she is trying to log into her voice mail and she tries to enter her numeric password after being connected to voice mail. Another example would be calling the pharmacy for a refill and must enter the prescription number. She will begin entering the number sequence and suddenly the number pad goes dark before she enters all the numbers. When this happens, the receiving end apparently interprets this as the end of the number sequence and responds as if it is an incorrect password sequence. All the usual fixes have failed, removing battery, hard reset, etc. This is the second Note II. She sent the first one back with the exact same problem. It seems unlikely to me that two new phones would show up with exactly the same issue. Tech support has been patient but no help at all. This is understandably pissing her off and I'm paying the price with her crabby-ness.
    Ideas anyone?
    Thanks in advance.
    She's not doing anything odd like covering the proximity sensor with her finger right? That would make the phone think it was close to her face and not need the screen to be on. Using a non-standard case would probably do the same as it may cover the sensors.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The case came directly from Verizon so I have to assume it's OK. It's one of those that when closed, folds over the screen. I'll double-check. I'll also try removing it from the case and see if the problem persists. Thanks.

I ran into that problem while using 2 hands as the shadow activates the sensor. Try only using one hand or keep your hand away from the sensor.

Sent from my SCH-I605
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Mjt356 View Post
    I ran into that problem while using 2 hands as the shadow activates the sensor. Try only using one hand or keep your hand away from the sensor.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    I have no idea how you would enter numbers on a keypad with only one hand on this phone unless you put it down on a table or something, but I'll check for shadows.
    On a slightly different note (no pun intended), when the second phone arrived with the same problem, we found out Verizon had sent a refurb instead of a new phone. We explained that we paid for a new phone not a refurb. They then refused to send a new phone saying we needed to contact Samsung if we wanted a new replacement. If they continue to refuse we'll be dumping Verizon. I've never heard of such a crazy policy.

Responding to MrSmith, we took the phone out of the case and the same issue occurred.

Does the Note not have the same motion sensor as the G3?

Might need to turn off what recognizes it is at your ear and enable again.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3

I have no idea how you would enter numbers on a keypad with only one hand on this phone unless you put it down on a table or something, but I'll check for shadows.
    On a slightly different note (no pun intended), when the second phone arrived with the same problem, we found out Verizon had sent a refurb instead of a new phone. We explained that we paid for a new phone not a refurb. They then refused to send a new phone saying we needed to contact Samsung if we wanted a new replacement. If they continue to refuse we'll be dumping Verizon. I've never heard of such a crazy policy.

Responding to MrSmith, we took the phone out of the case and the same issue occurred.
    If you are within your 14 day Window then they should replace it with a new phone.

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

It's more than 14 days, new phones come with a 1 year carrier warranty and even refurbs come with a 90 day carrier warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    It's more than 14 days, new phones come with a 1 year carrier warranty and even refurbs come with a 90 day carrier warranty.

I don't think they guarantee s new phone replacement beyond the 14 days. But if you are within the 14 days, you would just exchange it for another new one.

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

It won't be in the box, but I got a replacement for my S3 just last night, it was manufactured 1 month ago and never activated. That is new.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    It won't be in the box, but I got a replacement for my S3 just last night, it was manufactured 1 month ago and never activated. That is new.

But that may not be always the case. They won't be able to guarantee a new device on a warranty replacement.

sent from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams#AC View Post
    But that may not be always the case. They won't be able to guarantee a new device on a warranty replacement.

I understand that, but with a newly released device, most refurbs are returns for "didn't want, color change, etc". Yesterday I was in the AT&T store and a woman returned a brand new, never opened pad cause the unopened plastic "bag" around the box, was dirty. Now that will be a refurbished ipad mini, AT&T had to open the box and plastic to make sure there wasn't a trick or a dropped pad, etc. Generally new devices that are refurbs weren't even used. The Note2 is pretty new. Also getting the number of the District Manager for the stores can do wonders sometimes

Have you tried unchecking "Auto screen off during calls" under "Call Settings" when you access the menu in the phone screen? This might keep the screen on but I assume it drains the battery to some extent.

- - - Updated - - -
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by pizza3tan View Post
    Have you tried unchecking "Auto screen off during calls" under "Call Settings" when you access the menu in the phone screen? This might keep the screen on but I assume it drains the battery to some extent.

- - - Updated - - -
    I didn't try that pizza3tan but I suspect it would work. In the meantime we finally got to the bottom of it.
    mjt356 actually had the answer, although at first examination of his reply we didn't think his response solved it. It appears to me that the proximity sensor on the Note 2 is unusually sensitive. After a controlled test we found that when we tried to press the number 1 on the keypad, we would unintentionally cause enough of a shadow over the proximity sensor to cause the dimming. As long as we are careful about entering the top row of numbers making sure that the right palm is facing to the bottom of the phone we can avoid the problem with a litltle bit of effort. We also found that the problem can be avoided if you enter keypad numbers with the left hand since the sensor is top right.

I didn't try that pizza3tan but I suspect it would work. In the meantime we finally got to the bottom of it.
    mjt356 actually had the answer, although at first examination of his reply we didn't think his response solved it. It appears to me that the proximity sensor on the Note 2 is unusually sensitive. After a controlled test we found that when we tried to press the number 1 on the keypad, we would unintentionally cause enough of a shadow over the proximity sensor to cause the dimming. As long as we are careful about entering the top row of numbers making sure that the right palm is facing to the bottom of the phone we can avoid the problem with a litltle bit of effort. We also found that the problem can be avoided if you enter keypad numbers with the left hand since the sensor is top right.
    That makes sense.

They still honor the 1yr warranty or refurbed 90 days, whichever is longer.

I have had this happen with every Verizon phone I have had. Over 7 different smartphones. I was told by tech support that it was due to a Verizon service glitch as my fingers were never close to the sensor and it only happens about every 50 to 100 calls for me. I can immediately hang up, call back and no issues. I have even compared like devices from Sprint and never had the issue in over 10 years, so I would agree that it is a service issue.