Confused about Verizon Galaxy Note 2 as a World Phone

Salil

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello Friends,
I keep hearing that the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 is a world phone. Yet many people tell me that if I buy a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 then I can't unlock it and use it with ATT or straight talk with their SIM. I guess by calling it a world phone what I think it meant is that I can use it on GSM as well as CDMA networks? I am currently in the middle of a contract with Verizon, so if I buy a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 on EBay can I use it for the rest of the contract and then at the end of the contract unlock it and move to a prepaid provider like Straight Talk?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello Friends,
I keep hearing that the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 is a world phone. Yet many people tell me that if I buy a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 then I can't unlock it and use it with ATT or straight talk with their SIM. I guess by calling it a world phone what I think it meant is that I can use it on GSM as well as CDMA networks? I am currently in the middle of a contract with Verizon, so if I buy a Verizon Galaxy Note 2 on EBay can I use it for the rest of the contract and then at the end of the contract unlock it and move to a prepaid provider like Straight Talk?

it is a world phone but it does not allow you to put in other APN's so you need to root it then make a modification and you can use it on other networks, i have used At&t prepaid sim and it worked both voice and H+

Salil

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes I saw a link somewhere I believe xda-developers that said that you could use it for text and voice on other GSM networks but to use it for data you had to root it and do some modifications. Is this the same you have done?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes I saw a link somewhere I believe xda-developers that said that you could use it for text and voice on other GSM networks but to use it for data you had to root it and do some modifications. Is this the same you have done?
it didnt recognize the sim card till i rooted and added the APNs

Salil

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
So what you are saying is that I can go ahead and buy a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and when the contract ends just unlock it and root it to use it on Straight Talk. This would basically be perfect for me as long as the unlocking works or else it is a wasted investment. Can I instead buy an unlocked Samsung Note 2 use it on Verizon? They don't have a sim so how will I make it work?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So what you are saying is that I can go ahead and buy a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and when the contract ends just unlock it and root it to use it on Straight Talk. This would basically be perfect for me as long as the unlocking works or else it is a wasted investment. Can I instead buy an unlocked Samsung Note 2 use it on Verizon? They don't have a sim so how will I make it work?

You don't need to unlock because italready issim unlocked.its just that Verizon removedthe abilityto add other carrier info. just root it and manually add the APN info in. ......... you can not use any other note 2 on Verizon because they do not have cdma radios inside, they are set up for gsm. But Verizon version has both cdma and gsm radios inside.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
A Verizon rep informed me that they anticipate releasing an update or an app that will allow automatic conversion to world-phone capability in 1Q 2013.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
A Verizon rep informed me that they anticipate releasing an update or an app that will allow automatic conversion to world-phone capability in 1Q 2013.

It is world phone ready for voice and text. Just place a SIM card and you are set. The data part will not work.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
This is simply crap! I just traded in my GS3 to get a Note cause I was told that the Note 2 is a true world phone and should support data, voice & text. If this is not the case I'm going to have a long talk with VW!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This is simply crap! I just traded in my GS3 to get a Note cause I was told that the Note 2 is a true world phone and should support data, voice & text. If this is not the case I'm going to have a long talk with VW!

It is if you root it. Otherwise you are sick with Verizon global services

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The part that I don't understand is why would they add the capabilities of using other sim cards on a data hungry phone like this without giving you the capability to use data?

If this doesn't work than Verizon has failed miserably in my book. Which of course wont make a difference to VW cause they don't care for their customers anyways.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to unlock because italready issim unlocked.its just that Verizon removedthe abilityto add other carrier info. just root it and manually add the APN info in. ......... you can not use any other note 2 on Verizon because they do not have cdma radios inside, they are set up for gsm. But Verizon version has both cdma and gsm radios inside.

Isn't this the same for the verizon gs3? my husband is traveling to brazil in march. can he just get a prepaid sim when he gets down there and pop it into the gs3? if not would that work for the note 2....it would make me tense but i guess i could let him take mine.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Isn't this the same for the verizon gs3? my husband is traveling to brazil in march. can he just get a prepaid sim when he gets down there and pop it into the gs3? if not would that work for the note 2....it would make me tense but i guess i could let him take mine.
I dont know about the GS3 (you can ask adviser creccaj1about the GS3). But for the Note 2 we could root it and make the modification and yeah it should work.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I dont know about the GS3 (you can ask adviser creccaj1about the GS3). But for the Note 2 we could root it and make the modification and yeah it should work.

would i have to root? or only to have the data option.....i think if he could talk and text that might do it.....hmmm although i guess it would be nice to have mms available to send pics or email to send the pics.....i'll have to check out the gs3 forum and that advisor, thanks so much

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
would i have to root? or only to have the data option.....i think if he could talk and text that might do it.....hmmm although i guess it would be nice to have mms available to send pics or email to send the pics.....i'll have to check out the gs3 forum and that advisor, thanks so much
Yeah you would have to root, if you know the APN settings he is going to use all we need to do is root using the app.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have traveled to Cayman with a GS3 and was not able to add the APN which is why I switched to the Note2. I'm hoping to have better luck withe the Note but it sounds like adding an APN is what will end up holding me back.

- - - Updated - - -

I have traveled to Cayman with a GS3 and was not able to add the APN which is why I switched to the Note2. I'm hoping to have better luck withe the Note but it sounds like adding an APN is what will end up holding me back.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you would have to root, if you know the APN settings he is going to use all we need to do is root using the app.

my son is in brazil right now and says the prepaid sims are everywhere so we thought we would just wait and get the sim when he gets down there....but now i'm not sure. maybe all round easier to get a cheap pay as you go att phone and throw a sim in it when he get down there. i would have to be super simple for him or he'd be flumuxed....

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
my son is in brazil right now and says the prepaid sims are everywhere so we thought we would just wait and get the sim when he gets down there....but now i'm not sure. maybe all round easier to get a cheap pay as you go att phone and throw a sim in it when he get down there. i would have to be super simple for him or he'd be flumuxed....
for our phone its pretty simple modification. just copy and paste a file.

Salil

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
So to summarize. You can use text and talk with any network with a Verizon Samsung Note 2 by just inserting a SIM. But in order to use data with that network you have to root it. Correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz