Confused about Verizon Galaxy Note 2 as a World Phone

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So to summarize. You can use text and talk with any network with a Verizon Samsung Note 2 by just inserting a SIM. But in order to use data with that network you have to root it. Correct?

i dont think you can even use talk and text without rooting. Ill go back to stock and try it out sometime this week and let you guys know

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How do you do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqr2bdxKC00&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You copy the modified apn list. Fron your sdcard to the /system/etc folder and overwrite the original. You do this with root explorer or another file manger that had root access. Above is a quick video I made on how it's done.
There is another way to do this , that let's you get to the hidden menu in settings that allows you to enter apn settings but for that you need a deodexed rom.
I will attach this file to this post tomorrow since I don't think I can do it from tapatalk. I will still be making a thread on this and the other way as soon as I can.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqr2bdxKC00&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You copy the modified apn list. Fron your sdcard to the /system/etc folder and overwrite the original. You do this with root explorer or another file manger that had root access. Above is a quick video I made on how it's done.
There is another way to do this , that let's you get to the hidden menu in settings that allows you to enter apn settings but for that you need a deodexed rom.
I will attach this file to this post tomorrow since I don't think I can do it from tapatalk. I will still be making a thread on this and the other way as soon as I can.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Thanks. I do have a deodexed ROM.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
my son is in brazil right now and says the prepaid sims are everywhere so we thought we would just wait and get the sim when he gets down there....but now i'm not sure. maybe all round easier to get a cheap pay as you go att phone and throw a sim in it when he get down there. i would have to be super simple for him or he'd be flumuxed....

How do you do that?
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...41691-mod-add-apn-editor-system-settings.html

charlie888w

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
there are few method to root on Verizon Galaxy note 2, i am getting confused on which method best without any issues, would you please show me link on how to root verizon galaxy note 2 ? Thanks in advance for your help.

piyushshukla77

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
i have purchased galaxy note II as upgrade......tried to use another sim card but its not working...its shows the local vodaphone network signal on it but does not work.....spoken to verizon guys..they say its unlocked.....please advise what to do so that i can use another sim on it

William Fox2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I amnot a teckie, so dumb down ROOT and change POR FAVOR PLEASE

I want to subscribe Verizon, BUT/TOTALLY RANXSOM Android phone, THEN, have the flexibilty to move??

I need a 1,2,3,4 SIMPLE ABC solution?? HELP

puremgd#AC

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to rooting and using APNs. How would I go about rooting my GN2 and how do I know what APNs to use? Thank you!

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I had said some time ago that I would post my experience with this after travelling abroad but forgot so I will past it now. I rooted my Verizon Note 2, bought and inserted a sim card from an Italian cell provider (Wind) when in Italy, and used an apn manager to enter the correct apn information for Wind. I have been travelling all over Italy for weeks and have had no problem getting data as well as voice on this Verizon phone without needing to pay Verizon's very high rates. It is easy to find apn information for just about any carrier by doing a Google search for it but there are also some apps that will give you that information. You can try one called APN Global or if you happen to be looking for the information for Italy there is one called APN Italy that has a button for each wireless carrier in that country. If you look I'm sure you'll find others. BUT, to the best of my knowledge, you must be rooted to be able to add any APN information to a Verizon Galaxy Note 2.

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I had said some time ago that I would post my experience with this after travelling abroad but forgot so I will past it now. I rooted my Verizon Note 2, bought and inserted a sim card from an Italian cell provider (Wind) when in Italy, and used an apn manager to enter the correct apn information for Wind. I have been travelling all over Italy for weeks and have had no problem getting data as well as voice on this Verizon phone without needing to pay Verizon's very high rates. It is easy to find apn information for just about any carrier by doing a Google search for it but there are also some apps that will give you that information. You can try one called APN Global or if you happen to be looking for the information for Italy there is one called APN Italy that has a button for each wireless carrier in that country. If you look I'm sure you'll find others. BUT, to the best of my knowledge, you must be rooted to be able to add any APN information to a Verizon Galaxy Note 2.

Now that I have posted this I see a recent VZW update has made the GN2 a worldphone (finally). After rooting my phone I shut off all updates so was unaware of this. Since my phone is working perfectly I am going to leave it the way it is. My last note is just applicable to those of you who have rooted and are not taking the update.

Matthew Ratliff

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
After the other update you can change apn settings you just put another sim in first and go to settings then more settings then mobile networks then apn add the new apn settings make sure it is in global mode

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34