Samsung Galaxy Note 2 USB PC Connection problem

moustafasou

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My Issue:
I am having problems with the USB to PC connection. I am trying to use my Galaxy Note 2 as a media Transfer, but my phone doesn not detect that the USB data cable is plugged. It however, just charges the phone. I have used all types of USB cables including the OEM "white" cable
Notes:
**** I did root my phone, and i thought this was my issue. So, I UNROOTED my phone back to factory settings, and it still does not work. It can not be the usb hub on my phone because it does charge the battery fine for the most part.

*** before I UNROOTED my phone, I did do a KIES update via play store. I never played/set up/used KIES I am not sure if this the issue though.

Pleas help, and thanks in advance.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Did you download and install Kies from Samsung's website on your computer? Also, if you have any USB 3.0 ports make sure you are NOT plugged into one of those.

Before you download and instlall Kies, go to your Device Manager by searching Device manager and finding the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 drivers and uninstalling them. Then, download Kies (Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung) and install the program. Once it done installing plug your phone in and wait for it to install.

moustafasou

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for replying.

I am not sure if this will fix my issue. I do not have KIES on my computer. I never use KIES and do not plan on using it. At least not at the moment.

All I am looking to do at the moment is just transfer songs and pictures from my phone onto my computer. Will i be able to achieve this if i follow the above instructions?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
On your computer first go to start>Control panel>System and security>system>Down near the name of the computer to the right there is a link to change settings select that>Hardware>Device installation settings>No , Let me choose what to do>Never install driver software from windows update>Save changes
Then Reboot your computer
Download and install this [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V3.0.0 Verizon] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery, Flash Stock - xda-developers
Open it , select (91) for vzw note 2
Then (1) to install drivers and follow the directions. Then report back please

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Try the following from the manual (page 118) here: http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/sam_galaxy_noteII/GalaxyNote2_manual.pdf
1. Attach your device to the computer with a USB data cable. Your device recognizes the connection as the last connection method you used, and displays a connection alert in the Status bar and Notifications.
2. From the Home screen, sweep your finger downward to display Notifications, then touch the alert.
3. Select a connection method:
? Media device (MTP): Transfer media files with Windows, or using Android file transfer on a Mac (see Android.com).
? Camera (PTP): Transfer photos using camera software, and transfer files to computers that do not support MTP.
4. On your computer, choose a method for accessing your device. Available options depend on the programs installed on your computer.
5. Transfer files to the memory card. When finished, you can disconnect the USB cable.

Note: If you are a Windows XP user, ensure that you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 or higher installed on your computer. Also, ensure that you have Samsung Kies 2.0 OR Windows Media Player 10 or higher installed on your computer.

I?m using Windows XP Pro (with Service Pack 3 and Windows Media Player 11), no Samsung drivers or software and using the above method two drives show up in Windows Explorer, one for the device storage and one for the SDcard. From there, I just copy/paste. :)

Last edited:

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to use Kies. I only used it on the PC in order to install the latest drivers. Once it installs and the drivers install/download I disable it from ever running on my computer. Worked like a charm the first time.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
On your computer first go to start>Control panel>System and security>system>Down near the name of the computer to the right there is a link to change settings select that>Hardware>Device installation settings>No , Let me choose what to do>Never install driver software from windows update>Save changes
Then Reboot your computer
Download and install this [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V3.0.0 Verizon] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery, Flash Stock - xda-developers
Open it , select (91) for vzw note 2
Then (1) to install drivers and follow the directions. Then report back please

Oh I think for windows XP you just go to start> right click on computer> select properties> this will take you to system Properties.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

moustafasou

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I got it to work using a differnt USB cable, but it required to wiggle the USB a certain way. I think the USB port on my phone is damaged. I will bring it back to verizon. I only had the phone for less than 3 weeks, I am hoping they will replace on the spot for me.

Any tips on this?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I got it to work using a differnt USB cable, but it required to wiggle the USB a certain way. I think the USB port on my phone is damaged. I will bring it back to verizon. I only had the phone for less than 3 weeks, I am hoping they will replace on the spot for me.

Any tips on this?

You should be safe according to this http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/12/verizon-extends-return-period-for-new-devices-from-now-until-january-15/. Basically if you bought your phone anytime between 11/22 and 12/25 you have until January 15th to return or exchange it in store.

Bowman53

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm.....what if he actually damaged the USB port though? Could be tricky to return.....still worth a shot though I guess.

It's worth a shot because you can easily argue that it has been damaged prior to ownership. Yea, there is a good chance that they are going to dispute that but there is a good chance that if you go to the store and just be kind and curitous about it they will be willing to help you out.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The port could be defective. Had that happen on my Rezound. No problem getting a replacement

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance