Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Note 2 USB PC Connection problem

My Issue:
    I am having problems with the USB to PC connection. I am trying to use my Galaxy Note 2 as a media Transfer, but my phone doesn not detect that the USB data cable is plugged. It however, just charges the phone. I have used all types of USB cables including the OEM "white" cable
    Notes:
    **** I did root my phone, and i thought this was my issue. So, I UNROOTED my phone back to factory settings, and it still does not work. It can not be the usb hub on my phone because it does charge the battery fine for the most part.

*** before I UNROOTED my phone, I did do a KIES update via play store. I never played/set up/used KIES I am not sure if this the issue though.

Pleas help, and thanks in advance.
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 USB PC Connection problem

Did you download and install Kies from Samsung's website on your computer? Also, if you have any USB 3.0 ports make sure you are NOT plugged into one of those.

Before you download and instlall Kies, go to your Device Manager by searching Device manager and finding the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 drivers and uninstalling them. Then, download Kies (Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung) and install the program. Once it done installing plug your phone in and wait for it to install.

Did you install the drivers?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for replying.

I am not sure if this will fix my issue. I do not have KIES on my computer. I never use KIES and do not plan on using it. At least not at the moment.

All I am looking to do at the moment is just transfer songs and pictures from my phone onto my computer. Will i be able to achieve this if i follow the above instructions?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by celticfdguy View Post
    Did you install the drivers?
    Yes installed "Samsung USB Driver for mobile phones". This was required for me to do when rooting...

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by moustafasou View Post
    Yes installed "Samsung USB Driver for mobile phones". This was required for me to do when rooting...
    Have you tried rebooting your computer and reconnecting

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

When I had issues with me Note hooking up to my Win 8 machine all it took was a reboot of the phone. I'd try that first.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have rebooted my Computer and Phone plenty of times, and still have issues. I am starting to think the USB hub on my phone is damaged

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

On your computer first go to start>Control panel>System and security>system>Down near the name of the computer to the right there is a link to change settings select that>Hardware>Device installation settings>No , Let me choose what to do>Never install driver software from windows update>Save changes
    Then Reboot your computer
    Download and install this [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V3.0.0 Verizon] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery, Flash Stock - xda-developers
    Open it , select (91) for vzw note 2
    Then (1) to install drivers and follow the directions. Then report back please

Try the following from the manual (page 118) here: http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/...te2_manual.pdf
    1. Attach your device to the computer with a USB data cable. Your device recognizes the connection as the last connection method you used, and displays a connection alert in the Status bar and Notifications.
    2. From the Home screen, sweep your finger downward to display Notifications, then touch the alert.
    3. Select a connection method:
    Media device (MTP): Transfer media files with Windows, or using Android file transfer on a Mac (see Android.com).
    Camera (PTP): Transfer photos using camera software, and transfer files to computers that do not support MTP.
    4. On your computer, choose a method for accessing your device. Available options depend on the programs installed on your computer.
    5. Transfer files to the memory card. When finished, you can disconnect the USB cable.

Note: If you are a Windows XP user, ensure that you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 or higher installed on your computer. Also, ensure that you have Samsung Kies 2.0 OR Windows Media Player 10 or higher installed on your computer.
    Im using Windows XP Pro (with Service Pack 3 and Windows Media Player 11), no Samsung drivers or software and using the above method two drives show up in Windows Explorer, one for the device storage and one for the SDcard. From there, I just copy/paste.
    Last edited by Synycalwon; 01-03-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Corrected spacing of last sentence under "Note" and bolded OR
    Thanked by 2:

You don't need to use Kies. I only used it on the PC in order to install the latest drivers. Once it installs and the drivers install/download I disable it from ever running on my computer. Worked like a charm the first time.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    On your computer first go to start>Control panel>System and security>system>Down near the name of the computer to the right there is a link to change settings select that>Hardware>Device installation settings>No , Let me choose what to do>Never install driver software from windows update>Save changes
    Then Reboot your computer
    Download and install this [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V3.0.0 Verizon] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery, Flash Stock - xda-developers
    Open it , select (91) for vzw note 2
    Then (1) to install drivers and follow the directions. Then report back please
    Oh I think for windows XP you just go to start> right click on computer> select properties> this will take you to system Properties.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I got it to work using a differnt USB cable, but it required to wiggle the USB a certain way. I think the USB port on my phone is damaged. I will bring it back to verizon. I only had the phone for less than 3 weeks, I am hoping they will replace on the spot for me.

Any tips on this?

Quote Originally Posted by moustafasou View Post
    I got it to work using a differnt USB cable, but it required to wiggle the USB a certain way. I think the USB port on my phone is damaged. I will bring it back to verizon. I only had the phone for less than 3 weeks, I am hoping they will replace on the spot for me.

Any tips on this?
    You should be safe according to this http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/12...il-january-15/. Basically if you bought your phone anytime between 11/22 and 12/25 you have until January 15th to return or exchange it in store.

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    You should be safe according to this http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/12...il-january-15/. Basically if you bought your phone anytime between 11/22 and 12/25 you have until January 15th to return or exchange it in store.
    Hmmm.....what if he actually damaged the USB port though? Could be tricky to return.....still worth a shot though I guess.
    Thanked by:
    leoden 

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman53 View Post
    Hmmm.....what if he actually damaged the USB port though? Could be tricky to return.....still worth a shot though I guess.
    It's worth a shot because you can easily argue that it has been damaged prior to ownership. Yea, there is a good chance that they are going to dispute that but there is a good chance that if you go to the store and just be kind and curitous about it they will be willing to help you out.

help me

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by ashoak View Post
    help me
    Please give more details beside help me. Two words doesn't help us or you

The port could be defective. Had that happen on my Rezound. No problem getting a replacement

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Download Kies and try installing the drivers through it. Worth a try.

hey guys am new here so sorry for my first post being a problem

ok so im kinda new to the android scene after many years of apple products i can safely say i wont be returning lol very impressed and gutted i didnt switch to android a long time ago...

anyway the problem i have is that after doing a lot of reading and browsing this and other forums i installed a few different kernels and then started with roms, and now discovered neither Bluetooth or usb works Ive tried many different things including restoring back to stock rom and kernel rebooting several times both PC and phone, ive tried a few other things that seemed to fix for others i installed the drivers at least 9 times now and kies over and over, also tried the galaxy note tool kit but it just wont see the phone it just charges it ive also tried a different cable and the same problem is there... the only option ive not tried is to completely remove root and start again, but the problem i have is that if that doesn't fix it is that i wont be able to root again through odin,
    Ive enabled usb debugging etc also nothing im really lost with this now as want to transfer files that's when i realized Bluetooth wont switch on either

i upgraded to 4.1.2 with the omega rom also and still the same now am back to 4.1.1 through a saved restore

so pls any advice or pointers would be amazing

I will start out by saying that after 3 Android phones, the sync software that is packaged by the maker of each phone (HTC, HTC, now Samsung) has been spotty at best, especially as related to USB connectivity. When trying to connect my device, I get a "Unsupported device Alert- This device is not supported by Kies 2.0. Make sure that your device is supported and try again".

A couple of things to note with my issue:

1- I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon (SCH-I605)
    2- I live in the US
    3- I have a Dell Vostro Laptop running Windows 7
    4- I BELIEVE my ports are USB 2, but I do not know how I would go about checking that
    5- I downloaded and installed the Kies software along with all the requisite drivers.
    6- I used the USB cable connection troubleshooting steps outlined in the Kies homepage (to no avail).
    7- I do have the latest version of Kies (2.5.1.12123_2)
    8- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Kies to no avail
    9- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the Samsung drivers to no avail
    10- I am able to connect to Kies Air via a wi-fi connection (problem is with this that I cannot sync to my outlook calendar this way).
    11- I have no desire to root my phone, so Im not looking for assistance that require those steps.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by charlottedroidgxn2 View Post
    I will start out by saying that after 3 Android phones, the sync software that is packaged by the maker of each phone (HTC, HTC, now Samsung) has been spotty at best, especially as related to USB connectivity. When trying to connect my device, I get a "Unsupported device Alert- This device is not supported by Kies 2.0. Make sure that your device is supported and try again".

A couple of things to note with my issue:

1- I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon (SCH-I605)
    2- I live in the US
    3- I have a Dell Vostro Laptop running Windows 7
    4- I BELIEVE my ports are USB 2, but I do not know how I would go about checking that
    5- I downloaded and installed the Kies software along with all the requisite drivers.
    6- I used the USB cable connection troubleshooting steps outlined in the Kies homepage (to no avail).
    7- I do have the latest version of Kies (2.5.1.12123_2)
    8- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Kies to no avail
    9- I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the Samsung drivers to no avail
    10- I am able to connect to Kies Air via a wi-fi connection (problem is with this that I cannot sync to my outlook calendar this way).
    11- I have no desire to root my phone, so Im not looking for assistance that require those steps.

Thanks in advance for your advice
    Kies is not yet supported by Verizon, in contrast to Kies Air, which is.

You'll continue to get that "unsupported device" error message until Verizon gets off their collective duffs and fixes this issue.
    BrooklynRubia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    Kies is not yet supported by Verizon, in contrast to Kies Air, which is.

You'll continue to get that "unsupported device" error message until Verizon gets off their collective duffs and fixes this issue.
    LoL... I should have figured... Verizon seems to always be behind the times, either naively or for more insidious purposes. Thanks so much for the quick advice.

Exclamation It's the cable!

I think this issue needs bumping, as my T889 Note II had the same "USB not recognized" issue. Also Windows 7 64 bit, Sony Vaio (Walmart Special) laptop.

Believe it or not, it's the cable! I have a feeling that Samsung sent out a huge batch of bad USB cables with the Note II's... I took my Galaxy S3 cable and hooked it up, and it was fine. I noticed the issue at first when I tried to transfer files from my S3 using the Note II cable, which SHOULD theoretically be fine since it's Samsung and changing spec like that would have been foolish. Well, guess what? "USB not recognized." Thankfully, super easy solution. Regretfully, not everyone has both phones.

Just thought I'd share that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast