GPS question / problem

sillyrabbitt123

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else have a problem when they do voice search for navigation for example when you say to the phone navigate to Starbucks and the results are awful for one Starbucks doesn't even come up. And it brings up unrelated suggestions. But if I type in what I'm looking for that it brings it up. It's driving me nuts. Thanks for any insight.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Im going to add to that question and ask whats the diff between standalone GPS, VZW location, and google location. Also which one should I be using?

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else have a problem when they do voice search for navigation for example when you say to the phone navigate to Starbucks and the results are awful for one Starbucks doesn't even come up. And it brings up unrelated suggestions. But if I type in what I'm looking for that it brings it up. It's driving me nuts. Thanks for any insight.

Have not experienced this problem because I rarely do voice searches like that but I will do some testing tonight to see if I can replicate the same issues your are having.

Im going to add to that question and ask whats the diff between standalone GPS, VZW location, and google location. Also which one should I be using?

Standalone GPS - Needed for Navigation and Turn by Turn directions. This usually can be left off unless you plan to use your phone as a GPS.

Google Location Services - Uses your phones WiFi/Data service to get your location to push to applications like Google Now, Weather Apps, Widgets etc in order to provide you with information based on your currentl locations. This is needed in order to weather updates on a Widget that wants to use your location instead of place you manually put it. You can leave this on if you want these features.

VZW Location Services - Never used it... my guess is same as Google Location Serivices but may be needed if you use VZWNavigator. My recommendation, turn this off and leave it off.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. How do u bring up what u r looking 4 in nav?

Thanks

Most of the things I need my GPS for are in emails or appointments for work/meetings so all I do is click the address and point it directly to Maps. If I ever have to search for an address I usually end up just google searching it. Not big into the voice thing. It was cool when I got an iPhone 4S and had Siri but after a month or so with that I got bored with it and went back to Android lol.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that still types in Google Maps? Oh well. It has and continues to work for me. I've done navigation out of Google now (voice) before as tests and they all worked fine. Are you using S-Voice, voice-typing in maps, or Google Now?

Darren Donovan

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

I asked this question while getting my phone at the VZ store, and they told me to leave all 3 on. I've left them on ever since, because the battery is so awesome, I never worry about it running out.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one that still types in Google Maps? Oh well. It has and continues to work for me. I've done navigation out of Google now (voice) before as tests and they all worked fine. Are you using S-Voice, voice-typing in maps, or Google Now?

No your not.... most of my GPS inputs are from Google Maps. Only go through Google Now recently but still prefer using Maps.

- - - Updated - - -

I asked this question while getting my phone at the VZ store, and they told me to leave all 3 on. I've left them on ever since, because the battery is so awesome, I never worry about it running out.

Lol the rep obviously didn't know anything about them. You really dont need Standalone GPS on 24/7 unless you are getting turn by turn navigation 24/7. Just a waste of battery, and if the battery is awesome it will be even... uh awesomer!

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No your not.... most of my GPS inputs are from Google Maps. Only go through Google Now recently but still prefer using Maps.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol the rep obviously didn't know anything about them. You really dont need Standalone GPS on 24/7 unless you are getting turn by turn navigation 24/7. Just a waste of battery, and if the battery is awesome it will be even... uh awesomer!

Pretty sure the GPS doesn't really go into use until called upon. So having all 3 on doesn't really affect anything.

Secondly, do none of you people use the voice feature in Google Now? It's amazing. It is better than Siri IMO for the functionality it has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital