Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Default My reason to not use any type of flip cover case on the Note 2 ever again.

7 days into owning my Note 2 it fell out of my shirt pocket onto a tile floor. In mid air the flip cover opened up and the Note 2 landed face down.

Thank goodness for insurance. It sucked having to pay a $99 deductible but at least I got a new phone. I have since switched to a ballistic case but it really does add some bulk to the phone. I may have to explore other options.

Default Re: My reason to not use any type of flip cover case on the Note 2 ever again.

Brutal. Shows you the so called gorilla glass is a marketing gimmick...
    Sent from my Rooted VZW Note 3

Default Re: My reason to not use any type of flip cover case on the Note 2 ever again.

Ouch. Sorry this happened. I'm afraid of this every time I take it out of my pocket, which is why I grip it harder than I think I need to -- every time Death grip on my love, the Note 2.
    Rain816 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS -- US release

Quote Originally Posted by rebelguy View Post
    7 days into owning my Note 2 it fell out of my shirt pocket onto a tile floor. In mid air the flip cover opened up and the Note 2 landed face down.

Thank goodness for insurance. It sucked having to pay a $99 deductible but at least I got a new phone. I have since switched to a ballistic case but it really does add some bulk to the phone. I may have to explore other options.
    Yikes! I bought a cheap nylon belt holster that's sturdy and has room for a protective case on the phone. For that, I got a Trident Aegis, which seems to be somewhere between the Otterbox Commuter and the Seidio Surface. It seems to have the protection I want with a thinner profile than Otterbox.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

This is a great case. I feel it prevents a 99 dollar oops, yet remains styled.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My reason to not use any type of flip cover case on the Note 2 ever again.-uploadfromtaptalk1357778547845.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post

+1. I have the same one in black. Its a bit more expensive, but I think its worth it.
    Thanked by:
    nofiz 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post

That's a great looking case. Do you know how it compares bulk-wise to the ballistic case? I love the note 2 but the ballistic case makes it somewhat of a hassle to carry.

I have a zero deductible and never cracked a screen so Im using the flip cover. Havent dropped it yet. I imagine if that happened to me I might consider a case but Id hate to add bulk to such a sleek phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelguy View Post
    That's a great looking case. Do you know how it compares bulk-wise to the ballistic case? I love the note 2 but the ballistic case makes it somewhat of a hassle to carry.
    Not sure how it compares, but it isn't too bad at all. Not quite as sleek as a tpu case, but with the added shock absorbing layer, I don't mind the extra 3 or 4 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post
    Shows you the so called gorilla glass is a marketing gimmick...
    I'm pretty sure that there is no product out there that will give full protection no matter what the impact.
    Thanked by 2:
    Rizz1-2 likes this.
    Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by MrMLK View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there is no product out there that will give full protection no matter what the impact.
    This. I think people should read more into what gorilla glass actually does/is.
    Thanked by:
    robbies7897 and Rizz1-2 like this.
    Android4life

This is why I never keep my phone in my shirt pocket. You are asking for an accident IMO.

I personally use the Seidio Active. I usually go for the Outerbox, but it just adds to much bulk to this phone.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

When flexible oleds are introduced they will be shatter proof. Not scratch proof though i would def use screen protectors.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

OP, I thought the flip cover was more meant to prevent accidental screen damage rather than drop damage. I've personally never used a case on my phone because I don't like the way it looks vs the naked phone but the flip cover looks nice and wipes away my fingerprints while the phone is in my pocket. I personally never took this as a damage prohibitive case for device.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney
    makaroni likes this.

My goodness! I would've died right in the spot where it fell. They would have to call an ambulance for me. That looks like a car ran over your phone and backed up again to make sure it was dead. Glad you had insurance and got a new one though. Be careful

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

What about gorilla glass 3 they showed at ces.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

I never put a phone in shirt pocket, or back pocket. For the time being I'm using the snap-to-close leather (fake?) case that Verizon sells for roughly 20 bucks. doesn't add so much bulk that it makes it difficult to put in my pants pockets. come summer time, I may get a belt clip case as my shorts pockets are smaller than what I'm wearing now.
    Samsung Note 2

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    I never put a phone in shirt pocket, or back pocket. For the time being I'm using the snap-to-close leather (fake?) case that Verizon sells for roughly 20 bucks. doesn't add so much bulk that it makes it difficult to put in my pants pockets. come summer time, I may get a belt clip case as my shorts pockets are smaller than what I'm wearing now.
    Well, I'm about 250 lbs. and the only time I might have a problem is when I wear my Dallas Cowboys Booty Shorts because they are cut with the cheeks hanging out so the pockets are too small for my Note 2. (Yawl got a visual) LOL !!!

How did you score a zero dectable??
    Quote Originally Posted by jasongeiger View Post
    I have a zero deductible and never cracked a screen so Im using the flip cover. Havent dropped it yet. I imagine if that happened to me I might consider a case but Id hate to add bulk to such a sleek phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jasongeiger View Post
    I have a zero deductible
    I would like to know as well... what phone insurance has zero deductible?

back to the cracked phone... I had a Galaxy S3 with Otterbox Defender case. It slipped out of my hand as I was getting it out of my pants pocket.
    It dropped 34 inches(more or less... my pants inseam is 34 inches) and landed on the kitchen floor on its back, with the screen facing up.
    The kitchen had vinyl flooring. The screen had spider web cracks and a long diagonal crack running from lower left to upper right, not as severe
    as the OP's, but still made the phone unusable. Just saying that even with the Otterbox Defender, it doesn't offer 100% protection.
    Best way to avoid this is not dropping the phone in the first place. I didn't have insurance at the time, unfortunately.

I contacted Otterbox and they told me there was nothing they could do. Obviously... However, they were nice enough to offer me a free Defender
    case for ANY phone, if I replaced the cracked S3 with another phone. I took them up on that offer when I bought the Note 2.

Check your home insurance policy's. I have audio video equipment I covered in my condo and cell phone is covered with no deductible or increase. I have used it to replace an iphone 5 in the past.

Sent from my Rooted VZW Note 3

Sorry for your loss! That would certainly pain me too! I personally would never place a device in my shirt pocket, as I learned from my earlier years of constantly spilling my PDA/Calendar into the wash sink in the restroom! Never again! My precious lives in my front trouser pocket with a hardshell case and screen protector.
    Is that a Samsung Note 2 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

this makes me nervious...

...hypotheically if i drop my phone and need to get a replacement, is there a way to back up my phone so when i get a new one i can make it the exact same (i.e., settings, wallpaper, game status, etc.)

I have the otterbox commuter & I couldn't be happier. i don't think those of us with big hands consider this case "bulky". I wish the phone was BIGGER as well as the case.

relentlessplayer..using the mighty SGH-T889

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post
    Check your home insurance policy's. I have audio video equipment I covered in my condo and cell phone is covered with no deductible or increase. I have used it to replace an iphone 5 in the past.

If you have state farm save your time, already checked and no such coverage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast