Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Very confused by a Verizon rep...

    Please bear with me, I couldn't find a way to make this brief....

    I went into the Verizon store today to finally get a GN2, and also to get a 4G sim card for my mom's new RAZR m that she obtained off contract (she is coming from a droid incredible, so does not already have a Sim card).

    We have a four person plan with unlimited data still on all the lines. Two of the lines have available upgrades (we have a relative who works for Google and diverts his free yearly phone to us so we don't have to use the upgrades often).

    First of all, the rep in the store told me out was impossible for him to give me a Sim card because there would be no way to activate the phone, which I know is untrue from past experience activating other phones with new Sim cards on my own.

    Second of all, I was expecting to have to switch or whole plan to a share everything plan. He told me that by getting a new phone, I would be switching my plan only to a tiered plan, and everyone else on the plan would stay unlimited. I am the only one who would ever come close to using more than 2 GB of data, so I asked if I could use the upgrade on another line to switch that data plan to limited, and then just swap phones between the two lines, to which he told me that any time I activated the new phone on a line it would switch it to 2Gb.

    So my question is... Would it work for me to buy the new phone on my mom's line (thus switching her to the 2gb plan, while also obtaining a Sim card), then afterward switch her Sim card to her new RAZR m, and switch my sim card to the new galaxy note 2? As far as I know, this shouldn't touch my plan as its no different than me buying a phone off contract and then activating it.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Very confused by a Verizon rep...

    Quote Originally Posted by jprevas View Post
    First of all, the rep in the store told me out was impossible for him to give me a Sim card because there would be no way to activate the phone, which I know is untrue from past experience activating other phones with new Sim cards on my own.
    I had the same issue with a corporate store giving me a hard time getting a new sim card. I had to threaten them with calling the corporate CSR before they caved in and gave me one. I'm not exactly sure how they processed it but I still have unlimited. It was a pain though because it was like a "partial" activation, meaning my current phone was de-activated right then and there and they didn't tell me this would happen. In retrospect, I should have just been patient and had Verizon mail me one, but I really wanted to start using my Note 2 right away. If you have the time, I recommend dealing with the phone CSR's instead of the corporate stores. They will mail it for free.

    Quote Originally Posted by jprevas View Post
    ...to which he told me that any time I activated the new phone on a line it would switch it to 2Gb.
    false... I guess the corporate store employees lie in order to try to generate sales themselves. Really sad but I guess that's just the way it is. I *hate* having to deal with anyone at the corporate store and have *always* had good experiences with the phone reps.

    Quote Originally Posted by jprevas View Post
    So my question is... Would it work for me to buy the new phone on my mom's line (thus switching her to the 2gb plan, while also obtaining a Sim card), then afterward switch her Sim card to her new RAZR m, and switch my sim card to the new galaxy note 2? As far as I know, this shouldn't touch my plan as its no different than me buying a phone off contract and then activating it.
    Yes. I did almost the same thing. It actually wasn't as easy doing the activations as I thought it would be. When I tried to do stuff online swapping the phone, it kept blocking me. Phone CSR's we able to do what I needed though.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Very confused by a Verizon rep...

    I added a new line to my plan which included the GN2, then the rep switched sim cards from my Droi4 with the note2 since the D4 was on an unlimited plan. It was cheaper to add a line than pay full price for the Note. I just put an old non smart phone on the new line. Some of these reps should be fired!
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Very confused by a Verizon rep...

    i have two unlimited lines and used the upgrade on my dumb phone line to purchase the note2....activated it on the dumbphone line.....then just popped in my sim....shazaam, new note 2 for me on my line. reactivated the dumb phone line to the old dumb phone....and now everything is right in the universe. we did buy a sim card to switch my husbands line from his old thunderbolt to my old gs3....we don't have a corp. store in town just a verizon retailer, it was worth the $10 to not have to drive 20 miles to mess around with the corp. store folks.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Very confused by a Verizon rep...

    Thanks for the answers. Hopefully this will all work out as planned tomorrow!

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  6. #6  
    Flexia's Avatar

    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    665 Global Posts

    Default Re: Very confused by a Verizon rep...

    I did the same thing you are trying to do. When you buy the phone on your moms line that is the only line that the contract will get renewed. You do not have to sign anything when you switch devices.

    The only thing I know that woukd effect this is where you got the phone from. I know amazon wireless has terms that say you have to keep the device on the line you purchased it for for like 180 days or you will be charged extra. I know verizon and best buy do not have these terms. In fact when I bought mine on a 2gb line the store didnt activate it on that line. I had to go home and swap esn on verizon website and then insert my sim. It was very simple.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Very confused by a Verizon rep...

    As you can see from my signature, things went without a hitch. Loving the phone so far. Some things are going to take some getting used to but so far I love it.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  
    willlayb's Avatar

    Posts
    87 Posts
    ROM
    stock for now

    Default Re: Very confused by a Verizon rep...

    Quote Originally Posted by Flexia View Post
    I did the same thing you are trying to do. When you buy the phone on your moms line that is the only line that the contract will get renewed. You do not have to sign anything when you switch devices.

    The only thing I know that woukd effect this is where you got the phone from. I know amazon wireless has terms that say you have to keep the device on the line you purchased it for for like 180 days or you will be charged extra. I know verizon and best buy do not have these terms. In fact when I bought mine on a 2gb line the store didnt activate it on that line. I had to go home and swap esn on verizon website and then insert my sim. It was very simple.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    i took a phone off a line i purchased from amazon the day i received it...i havent had any issues.

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon Rep Dropping Phone= New Phone
    By delrey1900 in forum Verizon
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
  2. What is going on here? Very confused
    By eyecon82 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
  3. Verizon rep says to stay away
    By WoodiE55 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 10:04 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
  5. Droid Body Glove review by a Verizon Agent
    By eljoker in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions