Your Data Usage?

Seeker2787

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello all...

I'm eligible for an upgrade in mid-February, and was really considering the Note 2. I went into the local corporate store to play around on their display models and really enjoyed the experience. I have been grandfathered in on an unlimited plan for awhile, but will have to go to a tiered data plan when I upgrade. Honestly, other than a few times where I abused having the unlimited data, I really haven't gone over 2GB per month. Other than my commute, and a few other times throughout the day, I'm around a wifi signal I can utilize. It's been a little while since I have used an android phone, and was curious with the various widgets, LTE speeds, and "general awesomeness" of the Note 2 if you think I'll go over my limit? I wasn't sure that even though I don't really touch my phone during my commute, will data still be used by the widgets?

If you don't mind posting your average day use and data usage for the month to sort of give me a ballpark of what to expect, I'd appreciate it. Also, is there a setting that will warn me if I get close to my limit?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I use about 2 gig a month . Mon thru Friday i stream sirus radio for 10 hours a day. Probably would be much less usage in i did not stream like that .i think 2 gigs a month is a good way to go to start.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

fwhomeboy

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Four more days and that would be one month with mine and I've used 4 gig. I paid full price to keep unlimited data because I know I'll be over 2 gigs every month.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
we hit around 10gb for 3 phones last month.....however i tend to be the one who uses the most....we have dish with a slingbox and so we tend to watch tv on the go, pandora for music, netflix, and tethering at times.....love love love this phone....

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't stream to much either.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358441156162.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358441156162.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 161

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
good lord nismo... what is using all of that data?

I use about 1.5 per month and I would say I am a moderate streamer (youtube/pandora/iheartradio) for about 3 hours a day + web surfing + 1 exchange and 4 imap accounts. Start with the 2GB plan and you can always up it later if you see yourself going over on a regular basis.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
used about 8GB this month. and that's with no video streaming other than a couple of news items. I just use the thing a LOT!!

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you have an old non smart phone lying around, not in use? Add that phone to your plan for $10 a month and keep your unlimited plan. Move the new number to that phone and put your current phone number on the Note 2. Then you get to keep your unlimited data. Just did the exact scenario 3 weeks ago. By the way I use about 5 GB a month. Mostly due to Sirius and Sling Box.

Last edited:

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello all...

I'm eligible for an upgrade in mid-February, and was really considering the Note 2. I went into the local corporate store to play around on their display models and really enjoyed the experience. I have been grandfathered in on an unlimited plan for awhile, but will have to go to a tiered data plan when I upgrade. Honestly, other than a few times where I abused having the unlimited data, I really haven't gone over 2GB per month. Other than my commute, and a few other times throughout the day, I'm around a wifi signal I can utilize. It's been a little while since I have used an android phone, and was curious with the various widgets, LTE speeds, and "general awesomeness" of the Note 2 if you think I'll go over my limit? I wasn't sure that even though I don't really touch my phone during my commute, will data still be used by the widgets?

If you don't mind posting your average day use and data usage for the month to sort of give me a ballpark of what to expect, I'd appreciate it. Also, is there a setting that will warn me if I get close to my limit?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

It really depends on how YOU use your phone. Most widgets don't use much data, if any. You'll find most usage is from streaming. If you do a lot, it'll use a lot. Otherwise, browsing the web (even in desktop mode), checking email, facebook, pinterest, twitter, etc. doesn't use a whole lot.

I have 2 smartphones on my plan, we're both around wifi at least 80% of the time & we just stay aware to not stream (too much) or download/update apps when we're out & about, & we find it's actually easy to keep it under 1GB/month. For us, it's no big deal to be this way (for now).

By what you've told us, 2GB would be a good place to start. Using wifi more will reduce your usage, but between being able to do more/faster with LTE & the awesomeness of the N2, you might use more. So it may even out. Remember, even if you start on one tiered plan, you can move it up or down at any time with no penalties. Just keep an eye on your usage for the first month or two.

By the way... You're gonna LOVE the Note 2! Welcome!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
taxes on the $10 line are $7.12/mo where I live. I opted to do an ETF of $175 to save a LOT of money over paying for an extra useless line for 2 years. $17 x 24 is $408...

yuzume83

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the 2GB plan on have 6 more days on this cycle and have used .50 of 2GB. I'm always on wifi at home and generally don't watch too many videos or stream music. When I'm not home, I'm usually at school and as a dental hygiene student, I'm usually too busy at school to use my phone. I could use it to stream Pandora, but I hate leaving my phone out in the open.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
When I changed I chose 6 gig. Then lowered to 4 gig. I am using NY phone more so switched back to 6 gig. Keeping the 6. Safety net:)

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't use wifi, my work does not have it and at home my Internet maxes out at 767kbs since I live in the boonies. My gallery uses well over 2gb per month and between google currents, pulse, browser etc it just seems to add up. This month I did watch a few movies on Netflix though.

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I use mine A LOT and barely get to a gig. majority of the time I'm connected to wifi so that plays into it I'm sure as well.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm so glad I'm not the worst offender. 6 GB over the last 2 weeks. That's really light for me though. Netflix and Google Play Music being the largest offenders.

nismo591

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I use Google play when I run. Much of my days comes from streaming from the cloud. None of my usage this month is from tethering though. Getting close to 17gb and will probably hit it by my bill cycle end.